The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We have more solid young players and prospects then we’ve ever had. No one can deny Benning has had a positive impact here.

Eventually that is going to pay off. Whether he’s at the helm or not. 

Im still more concerned about their confidence in the coaching staff.

No doubt, but (a) in the last 20-30 years, I don't know if the organization has ever consistently drafted this high, this repeatedly in the first round before and (b) while drafting will always be important, once you've had drafting success, the next step is to put the right people around those draft picks. Benning failed at that and I see no reason for why he'll somehow improve in that area.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He also said things would turn around in 4-5 years when he first took the job.

Now he's asking for 2+ while he's in year 7?

At any point will he run out of time? No pun intended.

Literally the season after this one. He 1000% need to go in shame if we are still not a top team by then.

JB had lined all the 'bad contracts' to expire this and next season from the get go which indicates that he always had planned for our window to start in 2022.

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I mean let’s be honest.... if the team was winning it wouldn’t matter what JB said people would be happy. If the team’s losing.... You get my drift

And let's be honest - if in 3 years time the team had still only managed 4 straight first round exits....would anyone here be fluffing their first month of a covid season results.

#proper-rebuild = with one pick outside the top 10 in their lineup (and 3 top 10 picks eating nearly 30 million of their cap space...) 

What kind of 'window' does that make for?   One that needs to make haste imo.

The irony for me - are all the complaints of allegedly being bound to mediocrity - and yet - you still find gaggles and gaggles of Leaf-fluffers in here - on the grounds of being first month contenders.

And at the same time - the relative panic around here - after knocking off the defending Champions months ago - with an emerging core of extremely young players...

Anyhow.....:frantic:

The rething is soooo far behind!

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It sounds like every other press conference we have heard from him. Everything is ok and nothing is wrong here. Everything is hunky dory. It’s all smokescreens. I really want a gm who doesn’t accept losing.

I mean to be fair what is he supposed to say the team sucks the coach sucks? I guarantee he is pissed off about it, but obviously won't say that to the media. Everyone here knows how bad the media here is you give them one small soundbite that can be easily taken out of context and they take it and run with for a month causing more drama then there needs to be anyone who thought he was going to say anything but what he said should know better

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Literally the season after this one. He 1000% need to go in shame if we are still not a top team by then.

JB had lined all the 'bad contracts' to expire this and next season from the get go which indicates that he always had planned for our window to start in 2022.

“I think there’s a lot of hope for our team,” said Benning, “and you see our young players, the year Petey had, the year Boes had, Bo, I think, took another step. These are 20, 21-year-old kids — Quinn’s 19 — and you look at when teams get good and when they win, they win with 26 to 35-year-old players, and these are our best players, so I’m excited about the future.”

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Is the goal to make the playoffs or win a Stanley cup.  I’m sure Benning when he says competitive he means challenging for a cup.  Have you watched the leafs the last few years?  They were stuck in 1st gear for a few years as their young stars matured and then as those players are now entering their prime they have surrounded them with depth and as much as I hate to admit it look like a good bet for a long playoff run.  We are at a stage where petey and Hughes haven’t peaked and have some work to do over the next couple years to fill in depth.  Want a short cut?  That would be  trading all of our top young players for guys 26-30 years old and have a short window of being a top team.  Jim doesn’t really lay out the master plan in public which makes people think there isn’t one but clearly the moves made in FA this year were geared towards creating flexibility in the future rather than peaking in 2021.

Pretty sure this management/ownerships goal is to make the playoffs for revenue purposes rather than do what’s best to win a cup.

They treated making the playoffs last season like a cup level achievement

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Was that in 2014 he planned for the 2022 window or...?

Just curious.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Not necessarily.

My overall point is that I believe a better GM could have done a better job of maneuvering this past off-season (and the rebuild in general over Benning's entire tenure).

The impression I get from Benning is that he's a pretty straight-forward thinker and creativity isn't really a part of his plan: "have cap space? sign free agent"

I’m not on the same wave. I like what he’s done the last 3-4 years outside some contracts that are a million too high and a year too long. I kinda wish covid happened before the trade deadline or even better not at all and nobody would be saying anything about Toffoli. Last off-season was cap management to certain degree. We made a push last year and I’m fine with that 

what exactly  do want benning to say...the owner have mettled, i've made a lot of bad deals, the coaches suck and so do the players? when your team is struggling you have to build them up. they're  short on confidence right not. screw the fans. he has to do whatever he can to help them through this mess. the fans only think of their emotions, not what needs to be done to help the turn around. i'm sure they have an idea of what needs to be done but things can't easily be done right now. everyone has picked their scapegoat but don't really know if they are right or not, well maybe in their minds.let them figure it out and make the right move.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

This is an abnormal year with pandemic going on and the planning goes out of window and you still do not know what you have in the team when you are playing against only 6 other teams while you do not get to play against 24 other teams and you don't know how they would do with different teams in the league.    Looking at the roster in the North division, we have a goaltender league with majority of Canadian teams having star goaltenders all over within a division when compared to American teams.  It is expected that they'd struggle to score with exception of Ottawa and we still have 6 games against Ottawa and it's important to beat some of the teams above and they are only 4 points out of the playoff spots with Hobs on a downswing after their strong start.  Next couple of weeks will be important to see where they are after March.   They will be very rested team for rest of the season with other teams starting their crunch stretch where they'd have to go through what the Canucks have gone through early in the season.  They are in a good position to make the playoffs once other teams in in a slump and it's inevitable. 

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uhh it is called doing his job? If we can keep him for like $2mil than why not? 

Just because he talk to the agent doesn't mean he ain't trading him. Also helps in trade negotiations for the other side to know what it would take to keep him beyond this season. 

One reason would be that you can get an asset for him AND sign a similar player for 2mil in the offseason. if Pearson is worth only 2mil, then so is Brandon Saad, Nick Foligno, Tomas Tatar, Marcus Johansson, Nick Bjugstad, Matt Calvert, Mikael Granlund, Joel Armia, Alex Wennberg, Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow, etc.

I get that some of those guys are Cs and some of those guys will make more than 2, others maybe less. The point is that there will be a lot of middling top 6 fwds available, and if the market price for Pearson is 2mil, then why not get a pick for him and then go out and get a replacement player of similar value plus you've got an extra/pick prospect to show for it. 

2 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Where's the controversy? Team gets off to a poor start- exacerbated by the schedule/lack of practice time-  then starts to perform better and the results begin to turn around.  Unfortunately it's a shortened season so there is less time to recover from their poor start. If they continued to perform as they did the first 15 games then I would understand the outrage bit they clearly have not. Here is where an intelligent observer would wait to see how things play out the rest of the year. There are internal options for improvement in the future; this is a team that needs continued additions to get to the next level. This is not a complicated situation.

The controversy doesn't come from what needs to be done or what will happen going forward, but instead what's going on now and what has caused it to happen, and whether or not the culprit should be held accountable.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

what exactly  do want benning to say...the owner have mettled, i've made a lot of bad deals, the coaches suck and so do the players? when your team is struggling you have to build them up. they're  short on confidence right not. screw the fans. he has to do whatever he can to help them through this mess. the fans only think of their emotions, not what needs to be done to help the turn around. i'm sure they have an idea of what needs to be done but things can't easily be done right now. everyone has picked their scapegoat but don't really know if they are right or not, well maybe in their minds.let them figure it out and make the right move.

Yea that’s exactly what they want him to say haha

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

One reason would be that you can get an asset for him AND sign a similar player for 2mil in the offseason. if Pearson is worth only 2mil, then so is Brandon Saad, Nick Foligno, Tomas Tatar, Marcus Johansson, Nick Bjugstad, Matt Calvert, Mikael Granlund, Joel Armia, Alex Wennberg, Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow, etc.

I get that some of those guys are Cs and some of those guys will make more than 2, others maybe less. The point is that there will be a lot of middling top 6 fwds available, and if the market price for Pearson is 2mil, then why not get a pick for him and then go out and get a replacement player of similar value plus you've got an extra/pick prospect to show for it. 

All I am saying is people are reading way too much into that comment. You always check in with upcoming UFA's to see where things stand. He is doing his job

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1