The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Provost said:

This is all bad news.

1.  Aquilini would not have let him go out there if he was close to pulling the pin and firing him.

2.  Benning is sitting back again and waiting to see what happens.  Be proactive for once.  The faster you get rid of rentals, the better chance you have of banking some cap space and eating into the ELC bonuses that are pushed to next year.  Also, if he wants to have US teams in on his players, they aren’t going to want to do it at the deadline as quarantine means the guys won’t get in many (if any) games before the playoffs.

The rest about only preparing for Pacific division and letting players go because they wanted to fit in Hoglander are nonsense.  There was room for Hoglander in any event if he earned a spot.  We were short two top 6 wingers, and nothing but good could come out of having Pearson pushed to a 3rd line to make it more effective.

Why rush to pawn off rentals now when you have more leverage at the TDL.

Sell high not low. Pressure the team inquiring to part ways with something they are a little hesitant on. Time is of the essence and tough impulsive decisions will have to be made by teams who are

1) positioned to make the playoffs

2) going all in

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

The North division is utter dog $&!# . And benning used that as an excuse ! LOL

2 North division teams in the top 5 of league standings.

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Why did Benning take the job if he knew the plan in place was delusional?

Only 30 GM jobs in the league, and maybe Jim thought it could be a reload, till he got here and looked around.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

While I agree. It would totally send the wrong message to the team. 

What?  You mean that “if you are one of the worst teams in the league we are good with that?”

or

”Hey, no matter how bad you guys perform... You got a job here!”

Not sure what the wrong message is?  The players can read the standings... 

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

what does allegedly being "worried about playing Toronto" have to do anything?

I'm pretty sure they're aware that drafting/developing/acquiring RHD is a priority (as it is with virtually any NHL franchise - arguably the rarest, most difficult assets to produce.

Still I have no complaints about drafting Woo, signing Chatfield as a UFA, or signing a very good value Hamonic for 1 yr at 1.25 million.  Or the Myers deal for that matter.

I imagine they have RHD and young natural centers at the top of their list - but still - not assets teams look to give away, and not always the BPA when you happen to be drafting. 

Not sure what any of this has to do with the pending trade deadline - or the fact that Benning indicated no intention of buying - but instead committing to improving from within for this season - as the priority should be imo.

All I was saying is Jim needs to make a jump on it. The game against Toronto should be left to the players and coaches. He needs to worry about playing Toronto in 2 years. I don’t know how you can listen to all the excuses and watching him perspire and squirm and be confident in this man’s plan. I’m actually happy he isn’t making a coaching change. Green has done an above average job handling our young core and I’m tired of nobody noticing that. 

I think it is very clear that Jim is not dilutional about that next two years. Then he made it clear that it was going to limit their free cap space once they sign Hughes and Petey.

There is no way Jim was going to tell the media what their plans are for this trade deadline. They want the team to focus on winning. I think they are all ready focusing on this years draft.

He made it clear that they are going to be building through the draft and that takes time.

Edited by appleboy

Tomas Tatar is having a bit of a down year in Montreal - relative to last year anyways - with the signing of Toffoli I wonder if he will make it to the market. If we trade Pearson I'm thinking Tatar would be a good target for the top 6.

Lotto Line

Tatar - Horvat - Hog/Pod

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Copy of a post from Canucks Army

• “This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” Jim Benning May 23rd 2014

• “We want to be competitive next year. Realistically, if you’re asking me when will the day be that we can compete with the best teams in the league, this is year 2 and by our 4th (2017-18) or 5th (2018-19) I expect that we are right there with the elite teams in the league” – Jim Benning

and my own personal favourite...

• “I’m not a patient person. We expect to win because we hate losing. I can’t watch losing hockey. I can’t." -

NINE years folks.. one shy of a decade that you can never have back. Think about that real long and hard.... I'll wait for you to catch up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

What?  You mean that “if you are one of the worst teams in the league we are good with that?”

or

”Hey, no matter how bad you guys perform... You got a job here!”

Not sure what the wrong message is?  The players can read the standings... 

Trading Vets before we are out of it would be sending the message that MGMT have given up on the season. 

Even though I really think its the right thing to do. It's not how to develop the kids asking them to go down fighting after you have already sold off. 

Edited by hammertime

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Under his watch. Can't pick and choose the good and the bad. 

a blind chicken still gets the time right twice a day

er sumpin llike that

I think what it actually proves is Gillis left Jim something to work with.

I am amazed how much talk there is about Gillis lately

and there I just brought him up again

shame on me

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

2 North division teams in the top 5 of league standings.

Ummm... because our division has played way more games?

Correct for winning % and we have the 3rd and 9th best teams... not exactly the top level talent.

In any regard, you can’t compare teams when they aren’t playing interdivisional games.  Someone has to win on a given night, so even if you had two of the worst teams in the league (us and Ottawa) play each other, one of them wins.  We have no idea how any teams stack up league wise.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tomas Tatar is having a bit of a down year in Montreal - relative to last year anyways - with the signing of Toffoli I wonder if he will make it to the market. If we trade Pearson I'm thinking Tatar would be a good target for the top 6.

Lotto Line

Tatar - Horvat - Hog/Pod

5'10, 173# 30 years on the planet

sing me up

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

He made it clear that they are going to be building through the draft and that takes time.

Yah especially when you don't collect extra picks and instead give them up....

Benning is more focussed on keep his contract with the team..... versus our club winning a cup. 

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Trading Vets before we are out of it would be sending the message that MGMT have given up on the season. 

Or it could send a message that Vancouver Canucks want a Cup and not  2 home playoff games every 2-3 years....

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

Appears Janet Jackson wrote that lil' ditty(What Have U Done 4 Me Lately?) exclusively for the modern day, 21st C Snowflakish type.

We made the PO's 2 yrs outa' 6(while rebuilding)..book ends for bonus-fun.

We have the best young stash of talent in our 5 decade history! NO lotto-help either.

This place is becoming toxic. Too much unappreciative whining. There must be OTHER cesspool-sites that cater to such needs?

If it wears one down to a point that endless whining & griping seems necessary, why not develop an interesting hobby in the meantime?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Appears Janet Jackson wrote that lil' ditty(What Have U Done 4 Me Lately?) exclusively for the modern day, 21st C Snowflakish type.

We made the PO's 2 yrs outa' 6(while rebuilding)..book ends for bonus-fun.

We have the best young stash of talent in our 5 decade history! NO lotto-help either.

This place is becoming toxic. Too much unappreciative whining. There must be OTHER cesspool-sites that cater to such needs?

If it wears one down to a point that endless whining & griping seems necessary, why not develop an interesting hobby in the meantime?

because then we would be called "BandwagonJjumpers"

wouldn't want to be called "Bandwagon Jumper" by all you "True Fans"

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Even though I really think its the right thing to do. It's not how to develop the kids asking them to go down fighting after you have already sold off. 

The way much of the team has played in certain games gives the impression that they've given up on the season. I don't think trading a player like Roussell would have much of an effect on the team's performance, that being said, I'm not sure what team would bother with him at his present salary. No one is saying trade the vets, but making a trade that will make the team better in the long run is the better choice rather than thinking that this team will make a highly improbable Cinderella run this spring. 

• Cheers 3