The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not all about draft position even though we have had lots of favourable positions through our history.

Its more about how many players from each draft make the NHL. Look at our history and see how many drafts equaled absolutely nothing.

Seven drafts and Benning has rebuilt the core and has more young talent coming in every season. He is our best drafting GM in franchise history and it’s not even really close.

We've had some bad drafts. Does that make Benning good or Benning good in relative terms? And is just being good relatively, good enough?

There really isn't much evidence that suggests Benning's drafting isn't just a product of his overall draft positions which is supported by the lack of success he's had outside the top ~40 of the draft.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Benning should never have done this press conference.  He just raised more questions than answers.

It only raised more question for those fans and media members who do not truly understand what management’s plan is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It only raised more question for those fans and media members who do not truly understand what management’s plan is.

You mean the 9-year Rebuild Plan™?

• Like 1

JB has never been a particularly eloquent GM so these press conferences are always of limited value.

To me the most disconcerting things about the press conference were the comments about trading veterans.  Even if the Canucks were contending this year, then I would think it would still have been a reasonable choice to try and move out of some of the players on expiring contracts.  The only way it would not make sense is if it was more expensive to replace those with new players or rentals. It's obviously harder to make trades this year due to quarantine requirements, but I would be worried if the team is not actively trying to sell players.

Given how this season has gone, it's rather disconcerting to hear that the team may seriously be looking at bringing back some players including Tanner Pearson.  Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike Tanner Pearson but at his age and level of play, I would think that he would only be of declining value if he were re-signed especially since he probably has a reasonable case on the numbers to be paid at least as much as his current salary.  Maybe if the team did not already have $3M tied up in each of Roussel and Beagle might that make sense, but I personally believe that the team is at a point where they must hand over the leadership reigns to the young core and stop trying to insulate them with veterans.  It's fine to keep a few veterans around moving forward, but not at high $ value in the bottom 6.  It's time to rely on the young core and then let as many of the team's prospects compete for and fill support roles (e.g. Podkolzin, Lind, Rathbone, etc.).

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s been finding good players throughout the draft though.

Its not just because we’ve been bad. And even in our history when we’ve been really bad that didn’t equal drafting good players. Still gotta make the right picks.

Who?  We are doing ok on first round picks... but who else throughout the draft?  Gaudette?

On average about a third of 2nd round picks play at least 100 games and 25% of 3rd rounders.  The numbers go down as the rounds go later.

Are we on track to beat that rate?  Where is the later round “steal” that came out of nowhere and is contributing in the top half of the roster?

He has a mixed bag in the 1st round picks, at least where they are contributing relative to the rest of their draft class.  Virtanen and Juolevi get drafted lower, Boeser goes higher, Petterson goes higher, Hughes go higher .  For Boeser and Hughes they were the BPA on most of the draft lists when we drafted them... so they fell a little into our laps.

We have been above average in drafting I would say, but spectacular.  7 drafts and we net out to having about the level of player we should have with average drafting.

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

They never said rebuild 9 years ago. non sense 

No they didn’t. But flip flopping from believing that they could turn things around in a hurry with the Sedins still here, to stating that by 2017-2018 they should be amongst the elite teams in the league, to now stating that they are still a couple of years away from being really competitive, doesn’t exactly bode well with fans. He’s changed his tune too often    and what really pissed me off about today’s presser was he never held himself accountable for any of this years shortcomings and simply had excuses for all of it. I’ve never been a Benning hater by any means and love what he has done with his drafting and re stocking the cupboards, but today he should have just manned up like Buffalos GM did and take some blame for what’s happened so far. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

We've had some bad drafts. Does that make Benning good or Benning good in relative terms? And is just being good relatively, good enough?

There really isn't much evidence that suggests Benning's drafting isn't just a product of his overall draft positions which is supported by the lack of success he's had outside the top ~40 of the draft.

I always found this comment to be a bit offside. Benning has picked some amazing players from unfavourable draft positions. We have never won the lottery, and he's managed to select the 1st or 2nd best player in the draft 3 years running.

He can certainly be criticized for his trades and signings, and there's more than a good enough reason to disqualify him from his job,( not having enough depth , after 7years.)

• Cheers 1

do you think it is a coincidence that the only 2 teams still employing their 2016 disaster contract are at the bottom of the league?

16 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Do you think it’s just coincidence that all of our bad/transitional contracts will come off the books This year and next?   

What will our cap situation look like on October 1st 2022?   Which players will be signed at what cap hits?  Which bad contracts will be on the books?    How many of our current young prospects and draft picks will likely be on the team at that time?

do you think it is coincedence that the 2 teams still employing their 2016 disaster contracts are at the bottom of the league

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Probably a mix.

Owner obviously has the ultimate decision, but AFAIK they ask for the advice of trusted people within the game.

And the fans can cry and whine until the owner ultimately has to do something because if the people aren't happy, he doesn't make as much money.

Yeah, hopefully Aquaman has enough sense to stick with there plan and not be pressured (?).

14 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I always found this comment to be a bit offside. Benning has picked some amazing players from unfavourable draft positions. We have never won the lottery, and he's managed to select the 1st or 2nd best player in the draft 3 years running.

He can certainly be criticized for his trades and signings, and there's more than a good enough reason to disqualify him from his job,( not having enough depth , after 7years.)

Just watch his body language. When he starts squirming you know his guy's still available.

36 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

People who truly understand the plan are in the same vein as U2 fans claiming they feel special because they knew the true meaning behind their song's lyrics

As a recap:

“This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” - Jim Benning, 2014.

“Realistically, if you’re asking me when will the day be that we can compete with the best teams in the league, I think that [Sedin contract] timeline is fair,” said Benning. “This is year two, and by our fourth or fifth year, I hope we’ll be there with the elite teams in the league.” - 2016

“I think in two years time, I think we're gonna be real competitive and have a chance to compete for the Cup” - 2021

Edited by DSVII

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

This team very likely doesn't make the playoffs (5% chance atm).

Jim should set the meta early, and dump what he can.

The trades which happen before the flood gates open often out-value those to come, as well as set precedents, both reasons to move early.

I'm very interested to see what this team looks like after the trade deadline, and then into this entire off season.

The coming 15 months, is the most critical period in the franchise's history (this and next offseason).

I just hope that he gets it right.

The messaging didn’t seem like he is planning on jumping early.  There will be some trades... but maybe the early birds are the only ones who make moves before the market dries up (due to Covid).

I actually think the last 6 months were the start of the most important period for. (This iteration) of the organization.  Being able to shed bad contracts and re-sign the right players in order to not take a big step back was really important last offseason.

He messed the offseason up pretty badly.  If he thought he wanted to keep Markstrom... then sign the deal and then use Demko as leverage to get rid of bad money.  If Markstrom’s ask was too high, then move on and don’t “run out of time”.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Pickly said:

No they didn’t. But flip flopping from believing that they could turn things around in a hurry with the Sedins still here, to stating that by 2017-2018 they should be amongst the elite teams in the league, to now stating that they are still a couple of years away from being really competitive, doesn’t exactly bode well with fans. He’s changed his tune too often    and what really pissed me off about today’s presser was he never held himself accountable for any of this years shortcomings and simply had excuses for all of it. I’ve never been a Benning hater by any means and love what he has done with his drafting and re stocking the cupboards, but today he should have just manned up like Buffalos GM did and take some blame for what’s happened so far. 

Yeah I wish they would have done the same regarding rebuilding with the Sedins. But over the past 3 or 4 years I really liked what he’s done. Everyone complains about the contracts etc but it’s bought time for our young players. I can see guys like Lind or Gadjovich ready for the NHL next year. Where it would have hurt their development without these guys as they weren’t ready to compete in the nhl and would probably have been thrown in. Maybe fans would have been happier with cheaper plugs but it wouldn’t have changed much and everyone could still complain. Literally all theses guys come off the books like a calendar year from now. I would have expected a few more wins this year but it’s kinda like whatever for me. Bigger better years are coming. 

I was never big into interviews. I only read the tweets. A GM can’t give away everything anyway.

I guess people are confused about the Toffoli trade as far as direction goes. Maybe it’s just a gift for the fans at that time after some tough years and Boeser was injured. Then Covid snowballed everything