The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

ya benning needs to deal the vets  asap  sutter pearson benn edler all for picks

if pearson edler wanna resign in summer tell them that option is open after we get a few picks  we could give baertchi away to any bottom 10 team that needs scoring guy doesnt deserve utica treatment  but eriksson and roussel do   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dork said:

Fatigue as an excuse.

Pandemic as an excuse. 

Horvat playing his best in the last three weeks???

Other teams with better older, mature players (what about our bottom 6?)

Coaches are doing a good job. 

No coaching change. 

Trying to re-sign Pearson. 

We live day-to-day...?

Need to be patient (more than 7 years patient I guess)

Every team apparently has 10 bad contracts don’t forget that part.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is all bad news.

1.  Aquilini would not have let him go out there if he was close to pulling the pin and firing him.

2.  Benning is sitting back again and waiting to see what happens.  Be proactive for once.  The faster you get rid of rentals, the better chance you have of banking some cap space and eating into the ELC bonuses that are pushed to next year.  Also, if he wants to have US teams in on his players, they aren’t going to want to do it at the deadline as quarantine means the guys won’t get in many (if any) games before the playoffs.

The rest about only preparing for Pacific division and letting players go because they wanted to fit in Hoglander are nonsense.  There was room for Hoglander in any event if he earned a spot.  We were short two top 6 wingers, and nothing but good could come out of having Pearson pushed to a 3rd line to make it more effective.

What I got between the lines was they aren’t trading for futures. “We are looking within to IMPROVE THE TEAM NOW”. “A player acquired via trade is 3 weeks away from being on your roster”. 
this is what a large majority of the fan base has been complaining about for the last 7 years. Stop trading for players an organization wants to part with. 
Ok, yes Jim, the trade deadline is 5 weeks away, we get that. However, TB, FLA, TO, EDM, and all the top teams in the league only have one 1st, 2nd, 3rd rnd pick. You keep believing in yourself while the rest of the GM’s on underperforming teams with expiring contract snap up all them picks like the fat older kid on the Easter egg hunt. You’re going to be left with an empty basket again Jim. Then you’re going to cry to everyone there wasn’t any candy to gather while the fat kid stuffs his face with all the chocolate eggs he picked up while you were believing in yourself.  

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol what , so u only prepared to face 5 teams lol

This interview was amazing - I did not think he could top “ran out of time”.

#ThankYouJim

• Haha 4

Pearson is a pretty tradeable asset to a contending team. I hope we trade him for something and if we really want him, we can look to re-sign him in the off-season. To be honest, he's an easy to replace player especially with Lind and Podkolzin in the system.

• Cheers 4

42 minutes ago, dork said:

Fatigue as an excuse.

Pandemic as an excuse. 

No coaching change. 

We live day-to-day...?

5 points in his last 12 games 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Ha?? he literally said they expected to play all the teams?  He is saying they planned to be in a division with 4 rebuilding teams, not a Canadian division with 5 average teams and 1 rebuilding one.  That gives you a little bit more leeway to make the moves that he did.  We would be in the mix for a wild card if the divisions were normal, much like last year, and much like I expect next year.  Pretty fair comment from JB.

jim should quit with the "Ran out of Time" excuse and just say "We were caught with our pants down, again"

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, dork said:

Fatigue as an excuse.

Pandemic as an excuse. 

No coaching change. 

We live day-to-day...?

It all sounds like a typical player interview between periods - with all the "Canned/Standard" stereotypical answers.   I didn't expect JB to reveal his hand today but it's nice to hear him admit the Lucky Loui deal was a "BAD" deal.   I still say TG is gone after seasons end.  Anyhow, we'll just have to wait until year end to see how things shake out. 

As for re-signing the Seniors/Old-Timers, I say they let all the expiring deadwood/contracts go (Sutter, Pearson & Edler included and Roussel, Eriksson, Beagle next year).    However, if they got a bargain basement deal with Pearson and/or Edler, I'd say hmmmmmm, maybe one year at the most for each (on year to year contracts)  but only those two.   But I doubt that will happen.   

This team unfortunately needs to SPEED-UP and those Old-Timers don't have their wheels anymore even though they're experienced and "swell guys".  Unfortunately JB needs to stop signing the old folks to long term contracts and get more YOUNG Raw/Energy from the younger generation players to support the growth of our stars.   

Time will tell but I hope JB doesn't make more bad contract decisions.  I just don't trust his vision sometimes!

• Cheers 1

What did we expect to happen?  For Benning to go out there and be accountable?  For him to say that he &^@#ed up the off-season and has been a total failure for the majority of his tenure?  Lol, guess again.

This goes down as an all-time classic Benning presser.  Excuses/60 must be through the roof after this one.