The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

52 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Hope all you jimbo worshippers are wearing knee pads the length you guys are going defending him. Fans like this that allow incompetence to happen . 

If you ask me, JB and TG don't get into being negative with the media because they just take whatever they say and run with it.  

Imo JB would rather just try and get the job done first, and save the talking about it for afterwards.  That's my take on it.

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Provost said:

You mean send them to sit in a US hotel room for two weeks in case they get moved to a US team?  What if they get traded to a Canadian team, then they have to quarantine this direction?  Also the CBA and NHLPA would definitely have something to say about that idea.

If you mean have them quarantined at home... that doesn't lesson what would need to happen as mandated by both the league and the appropriate health authorities.

Thats why you work the phones and find a couple suitable trade partners. Trying to get 3-4 canadian teams outbidding each other... or have 10 US teams trying to outbid one another.... If JB knows he is going to move one or two individuals for sure, then he may as well get ahead and time the quarantine process for TDL to maximize the return

7 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

If you were GM of the Seattle Kracken would you fill the team up with overpaid 4th liners and slowly build the team through the draft or would you fast track it like Vegas ?

With the way the NHL is doing the expansion draft, they are going to get good players regardless. I just hope everyone has learned their lesson from last time.

And don't bribe the Kraken with draft picks to take players they don't want. Just let them take the players you expose. Let the chips fall where they may. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Thats why you work the phones and find a couple suitable trade partners. Trying to get 3-4 canadian teams outbidding each other... or have 10 US teams trying to outbid one another.... If JB knows he is going to move one or two individuals for sure, then he may as well get ahead and time the quarantine process for TDL to maximize the return

Once again tdl is still 5 weeks away.

Teams acquiring may not even be looking to make trades yet a they do not know if they are still in the race by then. This is the kind of thing that happen one to two weeks before the deadline with quarantine. Also selling players makes quarantine a mute point for the acquiring team as either the player is already in Canada or is being traded to the US for which both case only requires like a week of quarantine at most. Only players coming back from the US need the two to three week quarantine so really not an issue for us as we are looking to acquire picks and prospects.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What were people expecting? 

Jim to say he fired Travis?

Aquaman coming on saying he's relieved both Green and Benning? 

The team is having a bad year. The fact that Benning is saying he's looking from within, instead of via Free Agency to me is a positive sign.

I've stated before Benning is probably on the last of his 9 lives. 

Whether Benning stays or goes will depend on how the team finishes.

If they get worse or they stay inconsistent. 

It would make sense to change the Management and the coaching staff at the end of the season. 

At first I thought he might get enough leash until 1/4 of next season. But if the team hires a coach. Then hires a new GM then the new GM will want to bring

his own coach aboard. 

So it makes sense if anything is going to happen it will be at the end of the season. 

Ownership is not going to reveal their cards to Management and Staff and certainly not to the media.

People on here, youtube, twitter, media literally want him to come on air and say he is an idiot, all his moves are stupid, and he has no idea how he even has a job right now.

Essentially they want him to resign on air.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, lmm said:

I don't think you can do that because they would still need to quarentine when they get where they are going

it would be more beneficial for US teams to send their players to Canada if they were to be traded here

but I don't see that happening either

Im just speaking to whatever the quarantine process is, to be on top of it. If there is better potential returns from a US team, then send the trade bait bobbers south of the border and have them quarantine prior to TDL. Open up the competition for trade and maximize the return. If players are readily available come TDL i would think teams would be chomping at the bit and possibly willing to over pay in terms of future picks or prospects in order to go all in this year. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Who?  We are doing ok on first round picks... but who else throughout the draft?  Gaudette?

On average about a third of 2nd round picks play at least 100 games and 25% of 3rd rounders.  The numbers go down as the rounds go later.

Are we on track to beat that rate?  Where is the later round “steal” that came out of nowhere and is contributing in the top half of the roster?

He has a mixed bag in the 1st round picks, at least where they are contributing relative to the rest of their draft class.  Virtanen and Juolevi get drafted lower, Boeser goes higher, Petterson goes higher, Hughes go higher .  For Boeser and Hughes they were the BPA on most of the draft lists when we drafted them... so they fell a little into our laps.

We have been above average in drafting I would say, but spectacular.  7 drafts and we net out to having about the level of player we should have with average drafting.

You might want to mention Hoggy who was a second rounder. 

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What were people expecting? 

Jim to say he fired Travis?

Aquaman coming on saying he's relieved both Green and Benning? 

The team is having a bad year. The fact that Benning is saying he's looking from within, instead of via Free Agency to me is a positive sign.

I've stated before Benning is probably on the last of his 9 lives. 

Whether Benning stays or goes will depend on how the team finishes.

If they get worse or they stay inconsistent. 

It would make sense to change the Management and the coaching staff at the end of the season. 

At first I thought he might get enough leash until 1/4 of next season. But if the team hires a coach. Then hires a new GM then the new GM will want to bring

his own coach aboard. 

So it makes sense if anything is going to happen it will be at the end of the season. 

Ownership is not going to reveal their cards to Management and Staff and certainly not to the media.

Not emotional enough. Go back three spaces. ;)

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It sounds like every other press conference we have heard from him. Everything is ok and nothing is wrong here. Everything is hunky dory. It’s all smokescreens. I really want a gm who doesn’t accept losing.

Yeah he is waiting on aquaman to decide.  He is a puppet of the aqua family.  That is all 

17 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

People on here, youtube, twitter, media literally want him to come on air and say he is an idiot, all his moves are stupid, and he has no idea how he even has a job right now.

Essentially they want him to resign on air.

Impossible.  Where will aquaman find another loyal puppet.ill bet you aqua is coaching the team.  Those guys he is paying is hush money. No one is gonna get fired if they follow the aquaman.  Just make enough changes so aqua still can make money....