The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

When the defences of Jim Benning revolve more around criticizing his predecessor and not highlighting the things he's good at 7 years gone by, that tells you everything you need to know about the state of this team.

Well and truly embarrassing.

• RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

What is the point of this response?  It has offered nothing insightful and its just a classic example of you defending Benning via cheap, tired, Gillis slander.

Benning didn't get Schmidt for a 3rd because he did his due diligence on the market.  Vegas signed a superior defenceman (one that, had we managed our cap properly, we could have potentially been in on as a partner for Hughes) and circled around to us because we were desperate after missing out on...Tyson Barrie (LOL).  Besides, it's well rumoured he turned down Winnipeg and Florida backed out of their deal with Vegas, so we were third choice in this deal.  Hardly impressive if you ask me.

As for drafting, you keep talking like Hoglander is some legit NHLer.  He's been good in the 25 games he's played in but so were Schroeder, Kassian, Gaudette, Corrado, etc., in their initial spells.  Give him a few years to solidify himself, and more importantly, the other picks around him to see if we actually drafted a stud.  Not sure how you think drafting Boeser is good drafting.  He was BPA at that spot lol.  I guess its better than, uhh, Juulsen or G. Carlsson..lol?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/2015-draft-nhl-canucks-brock-boeser

False.* I should asterisk this.

According to CSS, he was ranked 27th in NA skaters. Using Provost's logic, this doesn't take into account European skaters. He used this logic to argue that Virtanen was actually ranked lower because of the NA designation. If Boeser was considered BPA, Virtanen should be considered that, since a number of scouts, including Mackenzie l, ranked him around 7-8, with some ranking him 11, 18 and 40 something for Craig Button.

Rankings:

Corey Pronman (ESPN): 11

International Scouting Services: 7

Future Considerations: 10

Central Scouting – North American Skaters: 6

Craig Button (TSN): 43

Hockey Prospect: 18 

Bob McKenzie (TSN): 8

https://editorinleaf.com/2014/06/23/2014-nhl-draft-profile-jake-virtanen/

I bet you also think Virtanen wasn't BPA...

Edited by Dazzle

Benning sounded a lot like Trudeau sounds when giving answers to questions from reporters or in the House.  Just generalizations and excuses never putting the team on his own back and taking responsibility.  And, let's hope that like Trudeau, Benning won't be around too much longer.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Benning sounded a lot like Trudeau sounds when giving answers to questions from reporters or in the House.  Just generalizations and excuses never putting the team on his own back and taking responsibility.  And, let's hope that like Trudeau, Benning won't be around too much longer.

Are you serious? Mixing politics with hockey is a baddddd idea.

Funny that Benning says he was in touch with all the players that left in free agency, at least their agents. But I recall both Toffoli and Stecher saying there was like no talk from the Canucks. Pretty sure Stecher's agent even tweeted it was disappoiting that Stecher didn't hear anything from the team he grew up watching. I dunno man, I was a Benning defender for a long time. But I am starting to think things don't smell right with the organization. We hear too often that players aren't being talked to. His free agent signings have largely been duds. His love affair with Green and the coaching staff, which I guess I could be wrong. Maybe we just don't have good enough players. Which then falls onto Benning anyway. Even his drafting is limited to just 1st round wins. And Demko.

33 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

When the defences of Jim Benning revolve more around criticizing his predecessor and not highlighting the things he's good at 7 years gone by, that tells you everything you need to know about the state of this team.

Well and truly embarrassing.

I'm sure the Kraken will love a loyal, die hard fan like you. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, Josepho said:

Per naturalstattrick at 5v5, 

TOI With McDavid - 3:24

TOI Away From McDavid - 31:24

TOI With (Brady) Tkachuk - 3:51

TOI Away From Tkachuk - 10:21

TOI With Gaudreau - 11:33

TOI Away From Gaudreau - 63:15

TOI With Scheifele - 4:13

TOI Away From Scheifele - 19:40

TOI With Suzuki - 5:24

TOI Away From Suzuki - 17:31

This is clearly a coach who doesn't have confidence in Juolevi's abilities to actually play against top competition, which is what a top 4 defenceman should be able to do. Matthews/Marner are the only star players he's spent a decent ratio of his time up against (albeit based on a 1 game sample size), and that was a game where we were starting multiple rookies and were forced into putting more effort into sheltering Chatfield.

I don't know what your definition of "writing Lind and Gadjovich off" is, but it's at this point likely that they won't stick as NHLers, and is even less likely that they'll be able to carve out a top 9 role in the lineup. Lind in particular I think should be used as trade bait, and based on raw totals we might be able to get someone to bite (similar to how Benning got duped into trading a 2nd round pick for Vey).

I completely agree Juolevi should be playing over someone like Benn/Hamonic. This season is lost, and the best thing we can do at this point is start realizing what we have with our young players. Guys like MacEwen should be playing every game, and Demko should be starting a higher proportion of games than he has already.

you do understand that he's a rookie? I'm impressed that he has any minutes against those guys and has the results he's shown so far. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billabong said:

“We’ll be competitive in 2 years”

sooo you mean we have to wait out these horrid contracts you gave out in the past 7 years? 

oh ok cool <_<

Why do people take a comment like this and attach their own inferences to it? His comment does not imply they can't/couldn't be competitive tonight, or the last game, or a month from now, or next season, or last season, or five years from now. It's incredible how people, who I am sure consider themselves practitioners of logic and critical thinking, will immediately abandon the principle of charity when it suits them, in order to interpret things however they need to justify feeling however they want .

I also find it odd that there seems to be the sentiment among some of the more critical fans that there has been exactly nothing accomplished over the last years. As if the team is in the exact same position it was in five years ago, and not much, much better positioned for the future. Improvement has been incremental and not as quick as some would like but to suggest it has not occurred is just ignorant.

One thing these little flare ups in the fanbase highlight is just how stupid some fans are. Once again, certainty and ignorance is the busiest intersection in town.

Edited by BlastPast
  • Cheers 4

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I appreciate his style. I really don't think it always helps hims with how crazy this market is. But the honesty is refreshing.

With Gillis everything was so vague & hidden, you'd have to read into everything. Him answering "possibly" to a specific issue was as significant as Benning laying out their intentions.

I think people call Benning dishonest, when they're just pissed off that he didn't say or do what they wanted them to. Nothing about Jim strikes me as dishonest. A good communicator, no, but he's not a liar. 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm sure the Kraken will love a loyal, die hard fan like you. 

Ahh, the classic "you're right and I have no rebuttal...so go cheer for the other guys!" response.

What Benning could have done if he had the balls, we would have been better now and in two years. He could have showed that the bubble was no accident . FA had his fingers all over this.

All he had to do is sign Markstrom ,Tanev , Toffoli, no Schmidt .. Traded Demko, Virtanen ,and Bartischi  to Detroit for Veleno plus a second.

Miller    Pettersson  Boeser 

Pearson   Horvat   Toffoli

Hoglander Sutter MacEwen

Motte  Beagle  Bailey

Edler         Myers

Hughes     Tanev

Benn          Harmonic 

Extra's   Juolevi , Rafterty  Hawryluk

Rest on the Farm  that includes Eriksson and Roussel

Add Podkolzin after his season is over.

Cap works

Next year move out old contracts that are expiring . Sign Pettersson and Hughes to bridge deals. Retire Ferland Buy out Eriksson and move Roussel with a pick.

You than have two years to get the boys to win with this core

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Josepho said:

I know that rookies get sheltered, but the point I was referencing's Juolevi's deployment to was in response to the idea that he's for sure going to be a top 4 defenceman for us going forward, when we don't know how he's going to perform against top level competition.

What I see in his game so far is some very good decision making. His foot speed needs some work, but most do in their 1st year. Its that ability to process the game that tells me he will be a top 4, its what separates players imo. Look at a guy like Hutton e.g., better skater than OJ likely at the moment, but Hutty does not have OJ's brain. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Extremely underwhelming for their selection spot . Are they not ? Especially with the picks around . 

If you solely focus on when they were taken. Not sure why that’s relevant. Juolevi is very very good and Jake can be. 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/2015-draft-nhl-canucks-brock-boeser

False.* I should asterisk this.

According to CSS, he was ranked 27th in NA skaters. Using Provost's logic, this doesn't take into account European skaters. He used this logic to argue that Virtanen was actually ranked lower because of the NA designation. If Boeser was considered BPA, Virtanen should be considered that, since a number of scouts, including Mackenzie l, ranked him around 7-8, with some ranking him 11, 18 and 40 something for Craig Button.

Rankings:

Corey Pronman (ESPN): 11

International Scouting Services: 7

Future Considerations: 10

Central Scouting – North American Skaters: 6

Craig Button (TSN): 43

Hockey Prospect: 18 

Bob McKenzie (TSN): 8

https://editorinleaf.com/2014/06/23/2014-nhl-draft-profile-jake-virtanen/

I bet you also think Virtanen wasn't BPA...

Considering that he's only ranked 6th on a list that excludes Euro prospects, it's factually impossible to say he was BPA.  Now a Top 10 pick?  Perhaps, if you omit about 3-4 of those rankings, but most knowledgable people knew that one of Ehlers/Nylander/Ritchie (at that time) was the way to go.  But then again, everybody and their mothers also knew Vancouver was always going to take Virtanen at 6 because he was a local boy and the team desperately needed some fan love.  From the beginning, that's how this regime has made decisions.  Idiots.

Also, not sure why you highlight Bob McKenzie as if he's anybody important.  He's a journalist, not a scout lol.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I guess this is the closest I'll get to an apology,  ON.   

so...thanks?

“Our core players, they still need to mature a little bit yet. I think in two years time, I think we're gonna be real competitive and have a chance to compete for the Cup,” he said.

Here's a few more sources for this "fake news":

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/analysis/2021/03/05/nhl-draft-prospects-need-to-play-potential-no-1-pick-brandt-clarke-went-all-the-way-to-slovakia.html

https://theathletic.com/2430836/2021/03/05/drance-canucks-cant-afford-jim-bennings-patient-passive-approach-ahead-of-a-crucial-trade-deadline/

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-gm-jim-benning-provides-excuses-not-accountability-3519799

And he repeated it at the end of his presser,

"My hope is that in a couple of years," he said, "we're the type of team that's competitive every night and we can compete for the Cup."

source,

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/benning-preaches-patience-already-restless-canucks-fanbase/

I still don't understand the WHY you don't think he would think or say this. Almost everyone believes we are still 2 years away.

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I guess this is the closest I'll get to an apology,  ON.   

so...thanks?

“Our core players, they still need to mature a little bit yet. I think in two years time, I think we're gonna be real competitive and have a chance to compete for the Cup,” he said.

Here's a few more sources for this "fake news":

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/analysis/2021/03/05/nhl-draft-prospects-need-to-play-potential-no-1-pick-brandt-clarke-went-all-the-way-to-slovakia.html

https://theathletic.com/2430836/2021/03/05/drance-canucks-cant-afford-jim-bennings-patient-passive-approach-ahead-of-a-crucial-trade-deadline/

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-gm-jim-benning-provides-excuses-not-accountability-3519799

And he repeated it at the end of his presser,

"My hope is that in a couple of years," he said, "we're the type of team that's competitive every night and we can compete for the Cup."

source,

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/benning-preaches-patience-already-restless-canucks-fanbase/

I still don't understand the WHY you don't think he would think or say this. Almost everyone believes we are still 2 years away.

For Benning supporters, it's easier to call everything "fake news" or "alternative facts" when you're in denial about the reality in front of you.

Hmm..where have I seen those exact tactics employed before?

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

After reading pages of the threads, I have an opinion of Benning.  Benning has to answer to the owner, not to the fans.  All Benning has to be honest with the ownership and not giving his hands to fans because other teams would read of his plan and try to sabotage and it's dog eat dog world in the NHL.  The owner has to sign on with Benning's plan and it's very fluid.  It's a Covid-19 year and whatever this plan pre-Covid-19 that Benning had has changed drastically and it's not of Benning's fault.  The owner knows that and it is up to Benning to make the adjustment and present this plan adjustments to the owner.   You have to keep in mind that Benning knows that he was not out of woods and he was doing well with his plan before pandemic hit the world.   

The playoffs has exposed the team so bad that Benning probably went to the owner and explain that it takes time and take a step back and let them develop as a core.  Perhaps, the owner agreed.  For as long as Benning is honest with the owner, his job is secure regardless of what he is telling the public recent.  You do not ever tell your grand plan to the world, not in the press, ever.   If Benning is telling us that it would take two years, he is more likely being honest and the team knows that they are not good enough just yet.  For as long as they continue to develop and work on their crafts, their stock will only go up.  Maybe Benning explained that you do not want to overreliance on the goaltender and allow the team to get away with defensive breakdown from off-season meeting with the owner.  You want to develop a good habit of a strong defensive team with goaltending.  This is the reason why they had to let go Markstrom after Demko proved that he could become a #1 star in the league.   The moves from off-season implies that the owner and the GMJB had their strategy set forward and focus on 2021-22 season instead.   Also Benning wanted to play different teams and he didn't get the opportunity to see what kind of team he has when the schedule is all divisional based.   

When you do not have a practice time, you are exposed and you have a bad habit from last season still carrying over and when you have some practice time, the bad habit will shed and good habit will become stick. I'm sure that the coach and the management team pointed this thing out to the public and it's difficult to develop your team when you don't have any practice time.   You still need some rest otherwise you burn our the players quickly by schedule more practice time and games without any rest with crazy first month of schedule.    The area I'm most interested is, can the practice time change the team quickly at this point to the end of season with 2nd half of the schedule, I think we'll see how much affect on this team.   Hold your horse when it comes to criticizing GMJB.

Good post. The elephant in the room is that maybe the owners and management are just fine with missing the playoffs this season with no fans in the seats. The way I understand things they are losing money playing. The more games they play the more money they lose. 
Needless to say that will never be made public. 

5 hours ago, Josepho said:

Per naturalstattrick at 5v5, 

TOI With McDavid - 3:24

TOI Away From McDavid - 31:24

TOI With (Brady) Tkachuk - 3:51

TOI Away From Tkachuk - 10:21

TOI With Gaudreau - 11:33

TOI Away From Gaudreau - 63:15

TOI With Scheifele - 4:13

TOI Away From Scheifele - 19:40

TOI With Suzuki - 5:24

TOI Away From Suzuki - 17:31

This is clearly a coach who doesn't have confidence in Juolevi's abilities to actually play against top competition, which is what a top 4 defenceman should be able to do. Matthews/Marner are the only star players he's spent a decent ratio of his time up against (albeit based on a 1 game sample size), and that was a game where we were starting multiple rookies and were forced into putting more effort into sheltering Chatfield.

I don't know what your definition of "writing Lind and Gadjovich off" is, but it's at this point likely that they won't stick as NHLers, and is even less likely that they'll be able to carve out a top 9 role in the lineup. Lind in particular I think should be used as trade bait, and based on raw totals we might be able to get someone to bite (similar to how Benning got duped into trading a 2nd round pick for Vey).

I completely agree Juolevi should be playing over someone like Benn/Hamonic. This season is lost, and the best thing we can do at this point is start realizing what we have with our young players. Guys like MacEwen should be playing every game, and Demko should be starting a higher proportion of games than he has already.

Ahh you don’t see the point of what I am saying or the context of the the situation. 

It is too early to make any sort of judgements. He’s playing well in a 3rd pairing role already while he’s barely 20 games into his NHL career.

Trying to make these sort of definitive judgements this early is short sighted. Nobody knows what he’ll pan out to be or how he will. Development in the NHL isn’t a one way road, there’s multiple pathways to pan out, everyone is different. This isn’t something defined by the age of the player but how he plays after he’s had experience.

Time will ultimately tell when he garners more experience but you’ve yet to give him that before coming to your conclusion.  

All that is certain is that his play warranted more ice-time to see how he’d do. Instead of whatever is going on with TG. Like I said if they aren’t showcasing Benn then it is cause for concern for the deployment all youngsters on that cusp. 

Same sort of concept with Lind/Gadjo/Lockwood. We’ve seen significant up trends in their development. Despite turning 23 this year it’s still too early to definitely judge them giving the context of each one of their situations.

• Cheers 1