The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

To anyone who was excited by the Canucks last season, and watched them play some exciting hockey and were 1 win away from the Western Conference Final?

What exactly does Benning think the team needs that is 2 years away, and not here right now? This team has pieces right now that should make it a playoff team, not 4 games below .500

I don't expect the team to be a Cup contender right now, but c'mon 11-15-2? Playing in arguably one of the weakest divisions? No way that should be acceptable to fans who watched this team last season.

Seasons not over yet, and 2 in a row against the Leafs is awesome. Keep it up...or I'll be....disappointed! 

Nobody pro media wise is saying this is a weak division.   If we had ARI, ANA, LA, and SJ to beat up on regularly then who knows where we'd be in the standings.   MIN is their fourth best team lol...A lot different then CAL, EDM, MTL etc right?   In fact what they've been saying is the North is the most evenly distributed division - and the most exciting hockey by far right now in the league.   Battle of Alberta is finally heating up - it's been at best luke warm since the very early 90's.   Vancouver actually took their spot (EDM) back then and had the best rivalry i've seen the Canucks have yet.   I'm glad we get to see TO back in the West, the leafs suck/go-leafs go thing used the be a real exciting game in our barn.   Even OTT is heating up lately.   It's entirely possible for the first time since the loser point came in a team could make it with a .500 record. 

WNP too.   Used to have a real thing with them in the early 90's as well.   Since obviously disappeared but the roots are there and this many games in a short period of time is fun for me at least...

For sure expectations grew after the play-ins.   At the time most were satisfied beating MIN...beating St. Louis was awesome.   Playing Vegas exposed us completely though.   We weren't even close to playing at their level.   Demko stole the show for sure, and kind of ruined them against Dallas, who they also outplayed but lost to.  

Point is, how in the world can anyone expect going with the exact same team, well not really, minus Demko, minus Sutter and probably one of JV or AG, plus Hoglander or maybe Podz and some picks plus something else to pay for the cap dumps - to re-signing aging vets to 80 million in salary over the next 4-6 years (Leivo and Stetcher included).....hmmm.   That would for sure tie our hands for virtually the cores best cap years and clean out our pool.   If that happened i'd be ranting on this site for some time.   It didn't - what did happen is JB found the best vet goalie to back-up and relieve Demko, to both dangle on the ED and or just play for us while Demko takes over....Schmidt lol, great move for our team given our right side is a glaring need.   Figured the team was slightly worse then last season, with little cap tied up for when we actually need it - this year.   How would JB handle that anyways?  If he signed these guys?   We'd be screwed. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Remember when Ian Macintyre was lamenting the loss of Leivo at the start of the year. I remember thinking how odd that ws as he is versatile in that he can play up and down the lineup, but certainly not irreplacable. Hoglander for example has been an absolute puck hound and has a pretty good shot and is currently outpacing Leivo point wise. Sometimes it seems Canuck reporters just try and make a story for story sake. At this rate, unless he turns it around, Leivo will be joinging the Flames taxi squad.

Edited by KirkSave
  • Hydration 1
46 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Remember when Ian Macintyre was lamenting the loss of Leivo at the start of the year. I remember thinking how odd that ws as he is versatile in that he can play up and down the lineup, but certainly not irreplacable. Hoglander for example has been an absolute puck hound and has a pretty good shot and is currently outpacing Leivo point wise. Sometimes it seems Canuck reporters just try and make a story for story sake. At this rate, unless he turns it around, Leivo will be joinging the Flames taxi squad.

Nobody was "in love" with Leivo, but it's more cheap depth we let walk, while guys like Roussel are playing worse at 3x the price.

• Hydration 1

Also, I was seeing people refer to teams such as the Lightning and Islanders as a model for patience, but those teams only immediately saw some sort of success when they got a new, capable GM. Yzerman was hired in 2012, the Lightning have been a pretty consistent cup contender since 2014. Lamoriello was hired in 2018, Islanders have won several playoff rounds since.

What happened to Tavares in NYI might be similar to what goes on here if we keep Benning.

I also don't even know if the Islanders are a good example, since they've really mangled their cap situation going forward to be what is likely a lower level playoff team.

Edited by Josepho
16 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If people are happy wasting assets for 4-5 extra games a season because of "experience", by all means.  One thing is for certain though, that doesn't make them smart moves.

Just what assets were "wasted for 4-5 extra games"?

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just what assets were "wasted for 4-5 extra games"?

I imagine he is referring to the price we paid for Toffoli, to help get us into the playoffs. If you choose to believe that playoff experience has no value, then yes that price was wasted. I wonder how many coaches and GMs of improving young teams would agree with that belief?

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I imagine he is referring to the price we paid for Toffoli, to help get us into the playoffs. If you choose to believe that playoff experience has no value, then yes that price was wasted. I wonder how many coaches and GMs of improving young teams would agree with that belief?

I admit:

I get really annoyed with people using falsehoods when discussing the team.

If the player/coach is so damn bad then why  constantly make crap up?

• Hydration 2
11 hours ago, NickTheGreek said:

For the life of my I can't understand how any of you still support the bozo that is Benning

Who gives a crap about Calder trophy finalists if you're icing one of the worst teams in the league 7 years later

Come on people

What are you basing "one of the worst teams in the league" on?  I'd like you to be specific.

• Upvote 3
53 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

None....

all about results and playoffs...

19 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If a plan to be competitive takes nearly a decade, then it's not a good plan.

Hope this helps.

You have no choice but to take a decade to become competitive as proven by history in the league.  If you notice bottom dweller teams that was at the bottom took long time to become competitive.  Look at just recent history on teams like Leafs, Islanders and Oilers, it took them long time.  Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo, Arizona, Ottawa are going through and the most common I see that they rushed their own prospect that they are not ready. It took Canucks 5 years to become a playoff team. 

There was an expectation of taking step back but will rebound with right 2021 off-season moves.   You protect your own players by going after bottom 6 players while having your own prospects develop in the minors for the bottom 6 roles, you do not want to destroy their confidence.   If your skilled prospect are ready, they are ready for top 6 and in that case, they made right moves for their team.  Whenever they are ready, their bottom 6 roles will become cheaper and will not lose anything as they are easily replaceable if you are starting from scratch.  If you throw your bottom 6 prospects in the line-up when they are not ready, you lose any confidence on the team on a cheaper contract year after year without any veteran support on that role.

Developing bottom 6 prospects is key going forward in upcoming seasons.  Now, nearly ready prospect will for sure would play much better than veterans whenever they are ready on a cheaper contract while at the same time, you draft your own bottom 6 players in the minors for cheaper role in the future because it's inevitable that you'd lose your best bottom 6 players with expensive contract so you keen to replace them with other prospect and that is what Benning is doing, finding gems in latter rounds.   That is why Benning made moves on Beagle, Sutter, Russell, and Motte,  The same for defenseman signing with Benn, Myers is to help their defenseman prospects getting ready for the prime time shortly.  3rd paring will become cheaper as soon as they are ready for primetime.  

I'll give you example on importance of developing bottom 6 roles, best example is the Oilers, they lack depth on that role in recent years. They are top heavy but lacking depth, wasting their opportunity to develop their role in that area, losing confidence on winning games that way.  

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

What are you basing "one of the worst teams in the league" on?  I'd like you to be specific.

Doesn’t our place in the standings might count?  Wins and losses?

Tied for 26th in the league in winning percentage this year?

4th worst winning percentage overall during the past 5 years?

Is there another metric for good and bad other than winning games or losing games?

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
6 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Buffalo losing again. Calling everyone out ain’t always the right idea is it? 

I don't know what is worse.

Benning going on air and says nothing gonna change and proceeds to not change anything as promised and start to win.

Or..

Adams promising things will change then proceed to do nothing and then lose even worse than before.

Wait a sec.

One is clearly worse!

:emot-parrot:

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

You have no choice but to take a decade to become competitive as proven by history in the league.  If you notice bottom dweller teams that was at the bottom took long time to become competitive.  Look at just recent history on teams like Leafs, Islanders and Oilers, it took them long time.  Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo, Arizona, Ottawa are going through and the most common I see that they rushed their own prospect that they are not ready. It took Canucks 5 years to become a playoff team. 

There was an expectation of taking step back but will rebound with right 2021 off-season moves.   You protect your own players by going after bottom 6 players while having your own prospects develop in the minors for the bottom 6 roles, you do not want to destroy their confidence.   If your skilled prospect are ready, they are ready for top 6 and in that case, they made right moves for their team.  Whenever they are ready, their bottom 6 roles will become cheaper and will not lose anything as they are easily replaceable if you are starting from scratch.  If you throw your bottom 6 prospects in the line-up when they are not ready, you lose any confidence on the team on a cheaper contract year after year without any veteran support on that role.

Developing bottom 6 prospects is key going forward in upcoming seasons.  Now, nearly ready prospect will for sure would play much better than veterans whenever they are ready on a cheaper contract while at the same time, you draft your own bottom 6 players in the minors for cheaper role in the future because it's inevitable that you'd lose your best bottom 6 players with expensive contract so you keen to replace them with other prospect and that is what Benning is doing, finding gems in latter rounds.   That is why Benning made moves on Beagle, Sutter, Russell, and Motte,  The same for defenseman signing with Benn, Myers is to help their defenseman prospects getting ready for the prime time shortly.  3rd paring will become cheaper as soon as they are ready for primetime.  

I'll give you example on importance of developing bottom 6 roles, best example is the Oilers, they lack depth on that role in recent years. They are top heavy but lacking depth, wasting their opportunity to develop their role in that area, losing confidence on winning games that way.  

It took the Leafs/Islanders/Oilers a long time to become competitive because they were horribly run. Once they ditched their bad management, they ended up improving significantly and quickly. The Islanders made the playoffs their first year with Lamoriello despite losing their franchise player in the offseason, the Oilers have a winning record under Ken Holland, the Leafs cleaned house in 2015 and were able to rebuild (magically doing so without signing awful long term contracts like us) and quickly make the playoffs and are now a perennial threat to win the cup.

Once we ditch Benning, we will definitely improve too. Maybe we should ditch him soon so that we don't have a similar situation to the Islanders and Tavares.

Edited by Josepho
8 hours ago, Josepho said:

Also, I was seeing people refer to teams such as the Lightning and Islanders as a model for patience, but those teams only immediately saw some sort of success when they got a new, capable GM. Yzerman was hired in 2012, the Lightning have been a pretty consistent cup contender since 2014. Lamoriello was hired in 2018, Islanders have won several playoff rounds since.

What happened to Tavares in NYI might be similar to what goes on here if we keep Benning.

I also don't even know if the Islanders are a good example, since they've really mangled their cap situation going forward to be what is likely a lower level playoff team.

Yzerman walked into a pretty cushy job...i'd like to see how he does with Holland's leftovers - not great but for sure a three year head start on what JB had to deal with (and Detroit's for sure Vancouver's best comp given their time lines, Larkins age etc).   And like JB he loaded up on placeholders - as did Dorian...go figure.   Trotz has more to do with NYI then anything so far - although Lou is great for sure - just go look and see how he transformed that team in one year, without Tavares too, goals against wise - simply incredible really with the same roster pretty much (except no Tavares), his first year.   JB was off one year on his contracts...this team probably won't look anything like it does now support wise soon enough - same with half our D in one - two years.

5 hours ago, gurn said:

I admit:

I get really annoyed with people using falsehoods when discussing the team.

If the player/coach is so damn bad then why  constantly make crap up?

Exactly why I could care less about these statements by the GM because like clockwork the negative nancys just twist anything he says to suit their narrative 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Doesn’t our place in the standings might count?  Wins and losses?

Tied for 26th in the league in winning percentage this year?

4th worst winning percentage overall during the past 5 years?

Is there another metric for good and bad other than winning games or losing games?

Context.  This is one year we should be happy to pick another stud blue chipper, going to need one.   Strangely enough, the teams seemed to pull it together the last 12 games ... the ones we've lost look nothing like the ones early in the season.... in an 82 schedule, even in this division who we sucked against last year with the guys we let go, we'd have a decent chance to right the ship and make the show.    In our one division i doubt it would be nearly so bad - can't pad our stats as easily.    It is what it is, the teams looking to have turned a corner, Demko is playing himself into another player of the week scenario, won two without EP,  BB is providing us a glimpse of what we should expect from EP and QHs in a year or two ... Hoglander and OJ look legit...there is lots to be grateful for despite the obvious in the standings.    

5 minutes ago, Josepho said:

It took the Leafs/Islanders/Oilers a long time to become competitive because they were horribly run. Once they ditched their bad management, they ended up improving significantly and quickly. The Islanders made the playoffs their first year with Lamoriello despite losing their franchise player in the offseason, the Oilers have a winning record under Ken Holland, the Leafs cleaned house in 2015 and were able to rebuild (magically doing so without signing awful long term contracts like us) and quickly make the playoffs and are now a perennial threat to win the cup.

Once we ditch Benning, we will definitely improve too. Maybe we should ditch him soon so that we don't have a similar situation to the Islanders and Tavares.

A strong coach does have a greater effect on a team, Islanders'' roster was essential the same minus their best player, Tavares and when he was hired, Islanders got better that fast with system that Trotz implemented.  Now, the Canucks has a good system to play with but the issue here is the powerplay and the defensive side of thing, that is on Brown and Baumer.   I would rather keep Green but let go their assistant coaches  and see what will happen before canning Green.   Benning and Green is not the problem here as they have done a outstanding job developing their own players.   It's just the finer details of the game, that is on Brown and Baumer's failure to properly adjust when it didn't go well.    When you have the same roster and you got better the season after as such as the case with Islanders, it showed me that the system is also important part of the equation.