The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

While I'm as frustrated as anyone with the team currently, I'm not sure what you guys expected him to say?

Yeah he's stating the pandemic changed things and that they have a plan but its not like any GM is going to lay out that plan and spell it out for us.  Neither are they going to say that they're throwing in the towel for the season, not a way you build a winning culture (EDM or BUF anyone?).  These are hardly "dark days", but I'd rather him stay the course than make panic moves to try and salvage an irregular season.  

Even if we don't sell at the trade deadline, we don't need to be buyers either.  Ride out the season and reset for next season.

Coaching, well there's a different story....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is the only seriously concerning thing for me

The deficiencies shown by the special teams and defensive aspect are glaringly obvious and have been for some time.  If it isn't time to at least consider replacing some of the coaching staff then when is?

Well even if he has plans to do so he ain't gonna broadcast it to everyone and essentialy fire coaches on the air.

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, b3. said:

This interview was amazing - I did not think he could top “ran out of time”.

#ThankYouJim

imagine a situation were there fan in the building and the canucks are getting blown out and they start chanting "THANK YOU JIM" lol

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is the only seriously concerning thing for me

The deficiencies shown by the special teams and defensive aspect under Newell and Baumgartner are glaringly obvious and have been for some time.  If it isn't time to at least consider replacing some of the coaching staff then when is?

After their next contract expires

suicide GIF

Most of what he says is 100% true but it doesn’t instil much confidence to hear the GM dish out excuse after excuse.

Fans have not forgotten that he set the bar as making the playoffs, now it seems like he’s pretending like we’re still in the middle of the “retool”.

Fans just want a clear direction. Are we a team that’s building or are we a cap team pushing for playoffs. I get that you can be both, but hanging on to expiring contracts can only apply to one of those teams.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

He gave a BS answer to a question "what gone wrong in the 7 years when (Benning) said the Canucks will be a contender in the next 3/4 years when he first got the job".

He just talked about the trade deadline when asked if the Canucks can make the Playoffs.

He said he will wait (again!) after the trade deadline to negotiate the contract of Pattersson and Hughes.

What have we Canucks fans done to deserve a GM like this?

6 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

While I'm as frustrated as anyone with the team currently, I'm not sure what you guys expected him to say?

Yeah he's stating the pandemic changed things and that they have a plan but its not like any GM is going to lay out that plan and spell it out for us.  Neither are they going to say that they're throwing in the towel for the season, not a way you build a winning culture (EDM or BUF anyone?).  These are hardly "dark days", but I'd rather him stay the course than make panic moves to try and salvage an irregular season.  

Even if we don't sell at the trade deadline, we don't need to be buyers either.  Ride out the season and reset for next season.

Coaching, well there's a different story....

I want this loser to take accountability for ruining this hockey team.

As much as I hate him, I'd be applauding him if he at least acknowledged that he's made mistakes, and plans on adapting how he manages in the future. And he clearly doesn't think so, talking about "waiting until later" for the deadline and contract talks.

Instead it's just "oh the pandemic and stuff" (as if no other team has had to deal with this), "every team has a bad contract", blaming the struggles on being in what is likely the league's worst division and a bunch of other bull$&!#.

Legitimately baffling that anyone, at any point, defended this imbecile.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 3

Given how weak the North Division is and the Canucks still cannot put up a fight means a lot about the team Benning assembled. Its a shame that the owner still gave a vote of confidence to him.

2 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I want this loser to take accountability for ruining this hockey team.

As much as I hate him, I'd be applauding him if he at least acknowledged that he's made mistakes, and plans on adapting how he manages in the future.

Instead it's just "oh the pandemic and stuff" (as if no other team has had to deal with this), "every team has a bad contract", blaming the struggles on being in what is likely the league's worst division and a bunch of other bull$&!#.

Legitimately baffling that anyone, at any point, defended this imbecile.

You are essentially wanting him to resign on air. Never gonna happen. Blame Aqua. It is his prerogative.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, dork said:

Did they not turn around and make it to the playoffs the next year? Just because he said they are going to be very competitive in two years doesn't mean they won't be sooner. I think the implication there is that they will be even better in two years; that sounds feasible. They have also been very competitive as recently as this past summer and for the last few weeks this season. This is just a case of people interpreting things as cynically as possible to justify their outrage. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You are essentially wanting him to resign on air. Never gonna happen. Blame Aqua. It is his prerogative.

Admitting that you're learning from previous experiences (you don't even have to say "mistakes") and plan on approaching things differently moving forward is not resigning on air.

GMs should be constantly adapting -- even the actual good ones.

Patience to see through to the end of a rebuild, isn't a strong suit of fans on this board.

We showed last night, that we can compete. We're playing better now that the team has had a little rest and a little practice time.

As the other teams start and catch up on schedule and playing a lot more games in a shorter period of time, hopefully we can gain some ground on the rest of the division.

Really not that worried about this year, knew when we wound up with a flat cap, that it was going to be difficult to really have the depth that we needed to be as strong as we were at the end of last year. Anyone who thought otherwise, really wasn't being realistic. This coming summer is our opportunity to really turn the corner and complete the rebuild, we can buy out LE and make space for more young players like Podkolzin, to join the team next year, and hopefully take advantage of some more bargains that are out there, due to the cap being flat for at least a couple more seasons.

• Upvote 2