The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Do you have to Quarantine draft picks? Or AHL prospects? We don’t need Clendenings

Obvious counterpoint = I'll take Tyler Motte over a longshot draft pick 100% of the time.

I think folks like yourself might benefit from forming a straight story.

Are the veterans we have not overpaid junk?  as typically suggested? in which case there's a whole lot of noise over prospective small returns....or is that storyline rife with contradiction - as if there is so much at stake this deadline?   What are you expecting this deadline?  

The reality is that the marketplace will dictate whether folks here like it or not.

I find the suggestion that Benning is 'lazy' or unprepared ironic = as I posted in another thread - "blame is the lazy person's way of making sense of chaos".

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Josepho said:

We literally are toiling away players. Boeser is 24, Horvat and Demko turn 26 this year, Miller is very obviously unhappy with this team's performance, who knows how long Pettersson will want to play for a team this poorly managed.

Demko is just starting to figure out how to be a no.1 goalie. What are you talking about?

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Josepho said:

None specifically obviously.

When he's asked about what's to come of this team moving forward, literally all he's saying is "Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc. will continue to develop".

Absolutely no talk of "I'm going to continue to bolster the blueline, put pieces in place, etc.".

He seems to hold the entire future of this team on the young players and expects it to work out regardless of who the supporting cast is.

Cool, where does the money to do this come from?

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He was bang-on about Boeser. I truly think that this is as good as he's looked.

Yeah, its a shame Brock will waste some of his best years maybe, while we wait for JB to clean up his mess. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Brock will be the piece we won't be able to afford, and have to let go to find elite help on defence, and because we can't afford him. And it didn't have to get to that.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe if he didn't hand it out to a bunch of dog$&!# players he'd have the money. This just reinforces Benning's total lack of planning. But yes, cap space will be available in the upcoming years. Do I trust Jim to utilize it properly? No.

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Demko is just starting to figure out how to be a no.1 goalie. What are you talking about?

My point is that we can't afford to &^@# around much longer, these players aren't 20 years old anymore, we have to have a properly executed plan or else we're going to waste good years out of excellent young players like the Panthers have with Tallon.

Edited by Josepho

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Trying to re-sign Pearson makes no sense. And I like Pearson. He's one of the Canucks' best when it comes to digging out pucks along the boards. But there is a cap crunch and a lot of good players will be UFA with not a lot of teams to choose from. There is going to be a surplus and the opportunity to sign decent players to cheap 1-year deals. Why would you re-sign Pearson during the season when you can trade him, acquire an asset, and pick up a Pearson-like player in the offseason?

Uhh it is called doing his job? If we can keep him for like $2mil than why not? 

Just because he talk to the agent doesn't mean he ain't trading him. Also helps in trade negotiations for the other side to know what it would take to keep him beyond this season. 

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Within the next 2 years when we have the funds to do so and the young core is actually reasonably close to being in their primes. Petey and Hughes are like 5 years from truly in their prime. People are funny 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I mean it also applies to other teams. So we haven't been taking advantage of them as much as they take advantage of us? There's an issue there.

this isn't isolation. Every team faces the same problems. We've handled it worse than them.

It's partly in isolation, yes, because we are a young team that's building to something. We aren't built for to be at the top of our cycle right now like Montreal, Calgary & Toronto.

Id also argue we have taken advantage of teams at times. Ottawa we did for sure. (Which not every team has). We've also played pretty well against Winnipeg. And got the best of a dysfunctional Calgary team recently.

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Trying to re-sign Pearson makes no sense. And I like Pearson. He's one of the Canucks' best when it comes to digging out pucks along the boards. But there is a cap crunch and a lot of good players will be UFA with not a lot of teams to choose from. There is going to be a surplus and the opportunity to sign decent players to cheap 1-year deals. Why would you re-sign Pearson during the season when you can trade him, acquire an asset, and pick up a Pearson-like player in the offseason?

Depends on the cost imo. If Pearson is okay with a 2mil+ salary, that's a great re-signing. Gives us a lot more depth on the wings and doesn't put too much pressure on Podzs to be in the tip 6 right away. However, if he wants 3+, I agree and I'd rather trade him at the deadline

• Upvote 1

Just now, Josepho said:

Maybe if he didn't hand it out to a bunch of dog$&!# players he'd have the money. This just reinforces Benning's total lack of planning.

My point is that we can't afford to &^@# around much longer, these players aren't 20 years old anymore, we have to have a properly executed plan or else we're going to waste good years out of excellent young players like the Panthers have with Tallon.

Peteys 22 and Hughes is 21? We literally have like 40 million off the books over the next 15 months. Yeah I know we have to resign some guys too but to say we are wasting these years when some of these guys are in the early stages or their development is nuts. Heck even Horvat is a couple years from being truly in his prime 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Peteys 22 and Hughes is 21? We literally have like 40 million off the books over the next 15 months. Yeah I know we have to resign some guys too but to say we are wasting these years when some of these guys are in the early stages or their development is nuts. Heck even Horvat is a couple years from being truly in his prime 

Yes, we do have money off the books soon. However,

- A Bunch of that will go to Hughes/Pettersson

- Benning's Pro Scouting targets in the NHL have been overwhelmingly misses, especially with the defence (Schmidt maybe being an exception). There is basically nothing he's done to convince me that he'll actually use his cap space smartly through trades or free agency.

38 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Here is the problem, they are our best players. An improved bottom six ain't gonna make much of a difference if they are not performing. We will he where Calgary is.

Waste of ELC years is only valid when you have young stars on the team along with established veteran stars that you can rely on.

Our young players with better support makes for a good team. Imagine this team but with Tanev and Toffoli, for example, especially considering defensive & puck-moving reliability and secondary scoring are probably our weakest points other than an expensive bottom-6. Neither player is a world-beater but both fill important needs and push other players that aren't as capable down. Virtanen probably wouldn't have been on the team instead of floating around out there like he usually does for the 20+ games he's played so far.

Not to mention all the consternation that would have been avoided both in and outside the locker room had some of these important guys been kept.

Edited by kanucks25

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Obvious counterpoint = I'll take Tyler Motte over a longshot draft pick 100% of the time.

I think folks like yourself might benefit from forming a straight story.

Are the veterans we have not overpaid junk?  as typically suggested? in which case there's a whole lot of noise over prospective small returns....or is that storyline rife with contradiction - as if there is so much at stake this deadline?   What are you expecting this deadline?  

The reality is that the marketplace will dictate whether folks here like it or not.

I find the suggestion that Benning is 'lazy' or unprepared ironic = as I posted in another thread - "blame is the lazy person's way of making sense of chaos".

Dude, did you notice him trying to screw the cap on his water bottle by turning it to the left?
He is a moron.

He isn’t lazy, he is stupid. You can almost smell the burnt clutch when he was trying to explain why his team is crap after 7 years. He can hardly form like, like, like, like a sentence.
I’d like him to clear cap and free up roster spots for the young players. This year is shot, use this year to position yourself 2 years from now.
Jim is focused on the Game against Toronto though. We need his GMing to beat Toronto. Cool, thanks Jim. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Why in hell would Benning be talking about bringing in 'quality veterans'?

First - the team has a real uphill battle to get into contention for a playoff spot.  Whether people have 'hope' or not - virtually no one wants this team to be buyers.

Second - the veterans that did not return:

1) Markstrom / Demko was largely dictated by the pending expansion draft.

2) Hoglander has stepped into the top 6.  Typically what a market bent on a 'rebuild' wants to see.  Borderline comical to listen to so many armchairs that have professed the #proper-rething now flip flopping over short term results and signing veterans.  For me this is flake-cake, and eating it at the same time.

Is the direction not clear?  The trajectory of the young core - plaeyrs 20, 21, 22, 23 - an exceptionally young emerging core - is a few years away from approaching their primes.    The problem in Vancouver, is that in spite of being a hockey market - it's a market rife with noob takes - who believe that this core is already starting to rot - as if their prime window years are upon them and Benning is wasting them.  That's excessive youth-culture talk - that has little perspective on teams that actually win Cups.

He'd talk about bringing in "quality veterans" because he's trying to support his core of players to the best of his players, and isn't simply hoping the young players figure it out. I don't mean buying specifically this year -- that was as a response to him basically just saying "the young players will be better in the future and hopefully we're good by then".

Sure, Hoglander has stepped into the top 6. But it's not like we couldn't have both Hoglander and Toffoli (we at least could if our GM knew how to manage the cap). I don't want to see a rebuild at this point, I want to see this young core emerge. It's been 7 &^@#ing years since Benning was hired. I have not had any problem with signing veterans, I've had a problem with the specific veterans being signed and the cost/term they've been coming at.

The "direction" is extremely passive and it's how you become the Sabres/Panthers. Every cup winning team has had their GM make numerous big splashes, and has had bargain acquisitions. I never said the core is starting to rot, but they're going to be pissed off if/when Jim continues to support them horribly. We don't want Pettersson to be as pissed off as Eichel currently seems to be in Buffalo.