The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

The first couple of rounds we got to enjoy of the "covid cup" last summer were fun, but it was painfully obvious when we played a real contender that this teams core wasn't ready to push yet. Therefore, it made some sense to me when we cut Marky and Tanev loose with a goal in mind of being ready a year or two more down the road. That being said, 9 years for a GM to return a franchise in a Canadian market to competitiveness is going to put him in the crosshair's, regardless of the context (Sedin years, etc.). And I still can't believe we let Toffoli walk when you consider his age, and the price and term he ended up signing at.   

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Our young players with better support makes for a good team. Imagine this team but with Tanev and Toffoli, for example, especially considering defensive & puck-moving reliability and secondary scoring are probably our weakest points other than an expensive bottom-6. Neither player is a world-beater but both fill important needs and push other players that aren't as capable down. Virtanen probably wouldn't have been on the team instead of floating around out there like he usually does for the 20+ games he's played so far.

Oh. Not gonna argue we should let Jake go and retain Tofu, but even Tofu is barely producing against any team other than us. 

Tanev would be great this season but will be a liability that you would be complaining about him two years from now. 

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

1) Markstrom / Demko was largely dictated by the pending expansion draft.

Not necessarily true, just an easy and IMO bland "reason" to give.

Borderline comical to listen to so many armchairs that have professed the #proper-rething now flip flopping over short term results and signing veterans.  For me this is flake-cake, and eating it at the same time.

It goes both ways. Some people defended all the veterans we signed and traded for during Benning's first 6 years and now we let go of 3 guys who were important to the team, contributing, and would have contributed going forward, it was the right decision?

So we brought in veterans to eat cap and rot and push us up against the cap every year despite being a dumpster fire in the standings but now that we could actually use them we let them walk, and walk for nothing?

nah, just not gonna cut it

The problem in Vancouver, is that in spite of being a hockey market - it's a market rife with noob takes - who believe that this core is already starting to rot - as if their prime window years are upon them and Benning is wasting them.  That's excessive youth-culture talk - that has little perspective on teams that actually win Cups.

It's less about the core running out of time more the lack in belief that Benning has what it takes to put everything together properly for us to be an actual contender.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Oh. Not gonna argue we should let Jake go and retain Tofu, but even Tofu is barely producing against any team other than us. 

Tanev would be great this season but will be a liability that you would be complaining about him two years from now. 

I think you're right. The off-season moves hurt us this season, but will probably be better for the team two years from now when those UFAs are aging

10 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

"He's the guy that I deal with on a day-to-day basis. We had a plan this summer. We have a plan going forward. We update him on that plan constantly."

I haven't been listening to the fans stating 'ownership meddling'  but this sure seems to be just that.  Maybe because of the current economic climate, F.A.'s more hands on... Still a little concerning for sure.  I've been Benning supporter through his time here but it sounds like the same old stuff.  My faith is wavering... Keep on doing the same stuff only gets you same results.  However... If F.A.'s really this involved... Would any other GM fare better?

Tone down the font size dude, (or dudette).

I would hope another GM could fare better. Or we are hooped. Aquaman needs to grow a pair, and hire a strongman experienced GM and not another newbie he can intimidate.  A GM who doesn't need the money anymore, has a solid reputation, and years of experience.  Preferably one that has won a Cup.  Like a Lombardi, Holland, BriseBois... Who would demand independence on hockey decisions, or not take the job.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

Dude, did you notice him trying to screw the cap on his water bottle by turning it to the left?
He is a moron.

He isn’t lazy, he is stupid. You can almost smell the burnt clutch when he was trying to explain why his team is crap after 7 years. He can hardly form like, like, like, like a sentence.
I’d like him to clear cap and free up roster spots for the young players. This year is shot, use this year to position yourself 2 years from now.
Jim is focused on the Game against Toronto though. We need his GMing to beat Toronto. Cool, thanks Jim. 

Sorry but I consider your input / "Dude" act a literal waste of time - and ignorant/arrogant.

I'd ask you to back it up with something of substance - formulate a plan of your own - identifying who to target in the market, who to draft, etc - and what evidence there is that you're capable on any level of building even a fantasy team - but I'm not interested in investing the time in the 'conversation' - the returns are already diminishing.

While you claim to be a long time poster - you have nothing to account for - with a new name - who you were remains with you.   If you owned it - ie "I used to have an eraserhead" avatar, I might feel otherwise disposed, but at this point I consider it a w.o.t.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Josepho said:

He'd talk about bringing in "quality veterans" because he's trying to support his core of players to the best of his players, and isn't simply hoping the young players figure it out. I don't mean buying specifically this year -- that was as a response to him basically just saying "the young players will be better in the future and hopefully we're good by then".

So....point no point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Picking good players high in the draft (with picks you got from your team sucking) is a very basic part of being an NHL manager. You can say similar things about Buffalo, Edmonton and Florida over the past decade. The latter 2 are only starting to improve now that they've got decent management insulating their players adequately.

The reason we're in a cap crunch is because Benning offered long term contracts to marginal players, who are now preventing us from acquiring actual good players. Toronto managed to make it out of their rebuild without signing this magnitude of long-term deals. After seeing the way this team has been playing after Tanev/Markstrom have left, it's pretty obvious "the reason we're having success so early after the Sedins retired" had very little to do with the Roussel/Sutter/Eriksson/Baertschi/Beagle/etc contracts.

We literally are toiling away players. Boeser is 24, Horvat and Demko turn 26 this year, Miller is very obviously unhappy with this team's performance, who knows how long Pettersson will want to play for a team this poorly managed.

I've wanted him gone since 2015 and he's done a terrible job in any attempt to improve his team (either Sutter/Gudbranson/Eriksson early in his tenure, or with Beagle/Roussel/Myers later in his tenure). He's abysmal at bringing in NHL level talent from around the league. It's extremely disingenuous to call this a "panic move" or a "change for the sake of change".

Even in his press conference, he's literally only talking about the young players developing when speaking for the future of this team -- absolutely no talk of bringing in legitimate, quality veteran players.

Got some time at work so i'll bite. 

First, drafting isn't a very basic part of being an NHL manager, I'd argue it's the most important part of being a manager as it provides you with assets to develop or trade.  Have poor drafting and you have no star players to attract free agents and less chips to play with to improve the team.  Great drafting will keep us competitive a long time, ie. the Bruins/Lightning the past decade.  This is where JB has undeniably improved our club, he's set the frame work for us.

You're right that the reason we're in a cap crunch is that he gave long term contracts to marginal players.  This with the projection that any player he drafts would be at lease a couple years away from being impact players and even more so from carrying a team.   The early arrival of Petey & Hughes accelerated that time line and guess what?  This season shows they can't carry the team without those veterans to insulate them.  But I do agree moving out some of the overpaid vets should be happening, though the flip side is, who is going to take on those heavy minutes when we do?  Certainly not Petey or Hughes.  

Horvat is turning 26 and entering his prime, Boeser and Demko just turned 24/25.  With Bo just entering his prime and Boeser/Demko approaching.  They've also have had more playoff success than McDavid or Eichel combined.  Not exactly toiling away.

To say you've wanted JB gone since 2015 says a lot.  One season into his tenure and you've already judged and sentenced him.  If we did that, chances are we don't have Petey, Hughes or even Boeser to build around.  We'll have to agree to disagree on this as you've had your mind made up on him since before a lot of the core pieces were in place.  Cheers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well even if he has plans to do so he ain't gonna broadcast it to everyone and essentialy fire coaches on the air.

I would have liked to hear something along the lines of “our systems need to be better to give ourselves a chance to compete.” Some way of acknowledging that he sees what most of us are seeing. 

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I would have liked to hear something along the lines of “our systems need to be better to give ourselves a chance to compete.” Some way of acknowledging that he sees what most of us are seeing. 

Yeah, but JB is a horrible communicator so what you gonna do. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

This is all bad news.

1.  Aquilini would not have let him go out there if he was close to pulling the pin and firing him.

I don't know about that. It became a media story that Benning hadn't spoke at all despite the team's struggles so now he was trotted out there to kill the narrative.

Being patient and not making any moves may be a mandate from ownership who no longer wants Benning to do anything because he's already gone, it just isn't official.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What does the person's age or ethnicity have to do with their statement?

what do you think BluntPhillip?

comment was not for you, about you or has anything to do with you

it was clearly directed at SquamFan

• Haha 1

So NOW JB brings out the "in two years time we will contend"?

About 6 years too late he's finally figured it out.  You plan ahead. You don't jump into a job, and cater to an overexcited owner who knows squat about the pro hockey industry, by banning the word "rebuild" in the organization, and overpaying, every Summer, another round of washed up vets, capping the cap for years ahead, and declaring the team was a playoff bound team before each season every year for the first half his tenure.

edit: I just heard a quote on 650,  "we are just living day to day".  :picard:

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

4G, 1A in 13 games -4 and 32 shots 

I wish Benning was my last boss, I'd be a rockstar...

You’d have to go into deeper analytics to see Horvats real value. 

Id have to look at those to make a real determination. But the points can be better for sure.