The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning's mid-season press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry but I consider your input / "Dude" act a literal waste of time - and ignorant/arrogant.

I'd ask you to back it up with something of substance - formulate a plan of your own - identifying who to target in the market, who to draft, etc - and what evidence there is that you're capable on any level of building even a fantasy team - but I'm not interested in investing the time in the 'conversation' - the returns are already diminishing.

While you claim to be a long time poster - you have nothing to account for - with a new name - who you were remains with you.   If you owned it - ie "I used to have an eraserhead" avatar, I might feel otherwise disposed, but at this point I consider it a w.o.t.

You want specifics? Andrew Peeke. I watched his game with ND, love how intelligent he is, great first pass, good hard shot. Plays the right side, theoretically a great future partner for QH. He isn’t ready now, but in 2 years? Possibly. He is struggling to adapt to professional hockey like countless other d men. That would be a specific example of moving a player that is on your roster now for potential players 2 years down the road. Like Motte. Who was a future at the time we acquired him. Mr Old News. 

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry but I consider your input / "Dude" act a literal waste of time - and ignorant/arrogant.

I'd ask you to back it up with something of substance - formulate a plan of your own - identifying who to target in the market, who to draft, etc - and what evidence there is that you're capable on any level of building even a fantasy team - but I'm not interested in investing the time in the 'conversation' - the returns are already diminishing.

While you claim to be a long time poster - you have nothing to account for - with a new name - who you were remains with you.   If you owned it - ie "I used to have an eraserhead" avatar, I might feel otherwise disposed, but at this point I consider it a w.o.t.

Haha gottem dude

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I'm seeing a whole ton of excuses from Team Benning in this thread.

Makes me laugh.

We have more solid young players and prospects then we’ve ever had. No one can deny Benning has had a positive impact here.

Eventually that is going to pay off. Whether he’s at the helm or not. 

Im still more concerned about their confidence in the coaching staff.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We have more solid young players and prospects then we’ve ever had. No one can deny Benning has had a positive impact here.

Eventually that is going to pay off. Whether he’s at the helm or not. 

Im still more concerned about their confidence in the coaching staff.

This isn't really a good thing.  It's an indication that we've been at the bottom for too long.

At the end of the day, it should be curtains for Benning hopefully soon.

6 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

You want specifics? Andrew Peeke. I watched his game with ND, love how intelligent he is, great first pass, good hard shot. Plays the right side, theoretically a great future partner for QH. He isn’t ready now, but in 2 years? Possibly. He is struggling to adapt to professional hockey like countless other d men. That would be a specific example of moving a player that is on your roster now for potential players 2 years down the road. Like Motte. Who was a future at the time we acquired him. Mr Old News. 

Struggled he hasn’t even played 30 games in the AHL? It would cost to bring him in. Why would Columbus just give up on him. He’s a rookie. Be like the Canucks trading Joulevi away.

Just now, oldnews said:

Please - if you have a better reason than expansion for having to choose prematurely between Markstrom and Demko or letting of that tandem, feel free to identify something more definitive than that, combined with Markstom's expiring contract.

What a load of weak sidestep, wadr.

Well, the expansion draft is the reason we only have one of them instead of both, but there were other solutions available than just letting Markstrom walk because his contract is expiring.

Heck, they could have even worked out keeping both past the expansion draft if they wanted to, just would have taken some jiggering. But, based on the Vegas expansion draft, I doubt doing something cunning there probably didn't cross Benning's mind.

Letting Markstrom walk for nothing and retaining Demko was the easy, simple thing to do. You didn't really have to do anything.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The difference between bringing in veterans like Sutter, Beagle, Pearson - when they were brought in - and now - it should be needless to say - is that at that point the team simply did not have the youth pushing from within to fill out the roster.

We can agree to disagree on the necessity of said placeholders, the cap space they held and the cap space they still hold.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I missed that quote.

Have you quoted it accurately or are you just taking paraphrase liberties / misreprenting?

I've been trying to find some place that has the quote in text for you.  Just heard them talking about that on 650.  I assume they got it right.  I may have paraphrased, but that's what was reported he basically said. 

Is Aqualini running the show and is Benning the assistant?.  Maybe I’m reading to much into it here but if Benning talks to Aqua on a “daily basis” then how much control does Benning have?  Does Benning have to run everything by the owner when he is thinking about making a move?.  I feel as though maybe nothing has changed since the Gillis era with the GM/owner relationship.  

Also the fact that Benning decided to come out publicly when he didn’t need too, and make excuses on the schedule and some other things and prior to that a couple weeks ago Aqua tweeting out that it’s all good with the organization bothers me.  I understand it’s just political by come on :picard:

Edited by MNaslund??

Of course it is the same blah blah blah - wth did you expect him to say.  I was surprised he went as far as he did on LE.

You can call him a moron and whatever choice names you have for him - but I would tend to agree with Burkie -  when he said Jim is no dumbie - maybe not his exact words but  it amounted to that. Jim needs a PR person badly - he does not come across well - too bad things didn't work out differently with Linden.

And speaking of Linden - I have always suspected it was Trevor tht wanted LE signed to play with the Sedins for one last push.  Nothing to really base it on except a comment from him  to the effect that it wasn't fair to the Sedins to through them into a total rebuild. (and that is not a quote but I am sure you can find it if you want to get  picky)

No I am not a Benning homer  but I think he has some good qualities and one of those is in scouting and drafting.  I wish he had been hired in that capacity.

We will see what this team looks like in the next couple years - I can handle another year of  not competing for a cup run as long as the games are as entertaining as last nights against the Leafs.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Andrew Peeke is a good young player/prospect, but is that a plan?

"isn't ready now...in 2 years?  struggling to adapt"....sounds like you acknowledge the reality = longshot

And I don't even see a proposal - way of acquiring him there (if he's even available). 

It takes two real world franchise to make a trade.  Who are you sending to Columbus for him?

Mott was not anywhere near as much of a question mark - was not simply a 'future' at the time, btw.

And you've just undermined your entire Clendening point in the process - Peeke is not a pick - and he's no more a sure thing than AC was.

1 minute ago, MNaslund?? said:

Is Aqualini running the show and is Benning the assistant?.  Maybe I’m reading to much into it here but if Benning talks to Aqua on a “daily basis” then how much control does Benning have?  Does Benning have to run everything by the owner when he is thinking about making a move?.  I feel as though maybe nothing has changed since the Gillis era with the GM/owner relationship.  

Pretty obvious Aqua is running the show. We need a new owner who would just get out if the way. But then we have the otherside like Nashville that just don't give a flying F what the team does. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Struggled he hasn’t even played 30 games in the AHL? It would cost to bring him in. Why would Columbus just give up on him. He’s a rookie. Be like the Canucks trading Joulevi away.

He has sucked hard this year, needs a fresh start. Probably butt hurt he isn’t lighting it up in the NHL with Hughes. 

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I missed that quote.

Have you quoted it accurately or are you just taking paraphrase liberties / misreprenting?

the full interview is up on one of the previous pages

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Well, the expansion draft is the reason we only have one of them instead of both, but there were other solutions available than just letting Markstrom walk because his contract is expiring.

Heck, they could have even worked out keeping both past the expansion draft if they wanted to, just would have taken some jiggering. But, based on the Vegas expansion draft, I doubt doing something cunning there probably didn't cross Benning's mind.

Right.  You're clearly claiming to be brighter than Benning - elaborate on the "jiggering" you are alluding to / proposing.

Benning did quite well in the Vegas expansion btw - they took Sbisa - the 3rd piece in the Kesler deal.  Do you have a problem with that as well?

Just now, Convincing John said:

He has sucked hard this year, needs a fresh start. Probably butt hurt he isn’t lighting it up in the NHL with Hughes. 

Interesting prospect. If I was Columbus I’d hold onto him. Too early to trade unless they are down with him thriving on another team, I’m down 

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I've been trying to find some place that has the quote in text for you.  Just heard them talking about that on 650.  I assume they got it right.  I may have paraphrased, but that's what was reported he basically said. 

Media training: That 'so what you are saying is...' interview and how to  avoid it

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Only thing I got is that JB believe the window opens in 2 years like many of us had already figured. This and next season was always a write off and development years.

He also said things would turn around in 4-5 years when he first took the job.

Now he's asking for 2+ while he's in year 7?

At any point will he run out of time? No pun intended.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1