The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

54 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes we do and then there's "15 Years of Rebuild Ain't So Bad"

"Big Joe Helps the Leafs Blow"

"Unsigned Summer" sung by William Nylander

"Hyman Nice Shot" (wide edition) with Special Guests Filter

"

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, they allow a lot of shots but it's the high quality scoring chances that are the focus.  They tend to let teams have the perimeter and focus on blocking lanes (and shots).  They don't hit as much but, on the one hand...you want that aspect of things.  On the other, you're talking points.  Hughes is our point getter on d and the others allow him to be so (or that's the idea...it's been a work in progress).  They're working out the kinks but it's hard to have big, tough, physical/hitting, point getting d men.  Every team is after those guys so it's about developing them from within for the most part.  OR, overpaying because the market for them leads to that.

It's been a bit of a patchwork deal as they adjust to losing Tanev and figuring out what works with the new guys.  Takes time...isn't always an instant fit as new faces slide into the line up.

We added Hamonic (who can play a physical game) @ 6'2" 205 ... he was injured, so allow him to shake off the rust and become familiar with the team

Schmidt:  6' 194 (plays an energetic game)

Benn's really been playing much better recently.

I feel like it's starting to come together and judging based on the hectic start of this season is a bit unfair.  It was chaotic and showed....no one was "settled" and adjustments have had to be made.

They have had trouble getting the puck out of our end and it's a frenzy when that happens.  For sure, a work in progress and lots to improve on but hitting isn't something I'm concerned about.  Often, it puts players a step behind and in this fast moving game, there's not time for that.  I know that, as fans, it's something that adds to the excitement of the game and yes, at times, it can change the momentum.  But it's something to be used as such...not a bunch of guys running around looking for hits.  All about timing.

Vegas is a good example of a team that that had an impact thanks to a big hitting defenceman like Brayden McNabb who rocked Virtanen last year and was a menace all series against other Canucks forwards as well.

Bieksa was the last Canucks d man who really seemed to embrace the physicality of the game and could play with agression.

Jett Woo is a guy who doesn't bring much offense but has potential as a hard rock hitting defensive dman thanks to his strong balance and skating playing right now in Utica.

Other than that I would agree the Canucks are not difficult enough to play against.

Roussel and Ferland were supposed to help and play large parts in that. They have been massive busts.

Myers for his size doesn't have a nasty enough demeanor like Chara did to really bully guys.

We all know Virtanen despite being among the heaviest guys on the team doesn't throw his weight around as much as he could or should either.

Ironically the guy who plays withthe most jam is sub 6 feet and 200 pounds in Tyler Motte.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Vegas is a good example of a team that that had an impact thanks to a big hitting defenceman like Brayden McNabb who rocked Virtanen last year and was a menace all series against other Canucks forwards as well.

Bieksa was the last Canucks d man who really seemed to embrace the physicality of the game and could play with agression.

Jett Woo is a guy who doesn't bring much offense but has potential as a hard rock hitting defensive dman thanks to his strong balance and skating playing right now in Utica.

Other than that I would agree the Canucks are not difficult enough to play against.

Roussel and Ferland were supposed to help and play large parts in that. They have been massive busts.

Myers for his size doesn't have a nasty enough demeanor like Chara did to really bully guys.

We all know Virtanen despite being among the heaviest guys on the team doesn't throw his weight around as much as he could or should either.

Ironically the guy who plays withthe most jam is sub 6 feet and 200 pounds in Tyler Motte.

A few games ago I'd think this mattered (more).   If we were losing and needed a "response".  But the point is to get the points....NOT to be the biggest/baddest.  Would I love to have a big bruising guy out there who instils fear in our opponents?  Absolutely.  But the fact is they're few and far between and the market for 6'4" 216 lb + physical d men is a hot one.  Not many of them floating around out there.

You have to instil a hunger to win in any crew.  Heart drives a lot of what you're looking for....yes, you do need size to make a difference but you can also not play afraid.  Play with an edge and pride.

Rypien was a great example of that....Miller has a chip on his shoulder (not in a "fear of fighting him" way ... but he wants to win and gets a little pissy out there).  Edler's been known to throw a few crushing hits of his own so we do have that element...it's just applied sparingly.

Again....I'd LOVE to have one of those guys but it doesn't mean you can't win without them.  You can.  Vegas didn't win the cup so it matters little.  That's the goal..win the cup...any way you can.  Goaltending's a huge factor and we seem to have that end of things settling in nicely with Demko.

Jett Woo's in great shape and I can hardly wait for him to be in the line up.  He's listed at 6' 205 but I'd say even a little heavier...seems like he's put on some more muscle in a recent shot I saw of him (provided it wasn't photoshopped).

18 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Here's something to consider about physicality: it's dangerous, and if it's a sustained part of the plan, that danger's cumulative.

This is why I believe we see so little of it from this team. It's not that they can't, it's because it's what they've been told.

What good does it do the team if you are out 8 weeks with a broken hand from a fight which ultimately meant nothing?

In the playoffs it's one thing, but if the regular season's only purpose is to get in, then it makes sense to get there the healthiest possible, aye?

Again, I believe that this is precisely why we see the product we do.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Myers has used his size and played mean and been summarily penalized every single time. Chara was on the Jeremy Jacobs Protection Plan. 

• Haha 2

Back-up, by The Tragically Lame

The terrible goal,

Was the third in four shots.
It went in five hole,

Like, right through his cup!

And after a glimpse,

Over the rim of my cup,

It's painfully clear,

That Freddy's a back-up.

55 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like it's starting to come together and judging based on the hectic start of this season is a bit unfair.  It was chaotic and showed....no one was "settled" and adjustments have had to be made.

What I would like to see at this time, is for the defence to have one person from the taxi squad rotated in every game. I want to see Juleivi more, and if it was a regular rotate in, then the person being rotated out would not feel demoted. 

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko:        2.87   .913

Markstrom:  2.89   .909

6D041425-D3E2-4FA5-B12A-A4CD847C069A.gif

I was never a fan of keeping Markstrom.  Good goaltender, but demko has the same,  if not more potential. Never excited when it takes a goaltender as long as it took Markstrom to figure it out. My guess is he will be a goaltender with a good,  but short prime. Maybe I'm wrong though. We shal see.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, xereau said:

What good does it do the team if you are out 8 weeks with a broken hand from a fight which ultimately meant nothing?

Or, if Ferland's case, let's get in a fight well trying to come back from a major concussion. And now where is he?

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

A few games ago I'd think this mattered (more).   If we were losing and needed a "response".  But the point is to get the points....NOT to be the biggest/baddest.  Would I love to have a big bruising guy out there who instils fear in our opponents?  Absolutely.  But the fact is they're few and far between and the market for 6'4" 216 lb + physical d men is a hot one.  Not many of them floating around out there.

You have to instil a hunger to win in any crew.  Heart drives a lot of what you're looking for....yes, you do need size to make a difference but you can also not play afraid.  Play with an edge and pride.

Rypien was a great example of that....Miller has a chip on his shoulder (not in a "fear of fighting him" way ... but he wants to win and gets a little pissy out there).  Edler's been known to throw a few crushing hits of his own so we do have that element...it's just applied sparingly.

Again....I'd LOVE to have one of those guys but it doesn't mean you can't win without them.  You can.  Vegas didn't win the cup so it matters little.  That's the goal..win the cup...any way you can.  Goaltending's a huge factor and we seem to have that end of things settling in nicely with Demko.

Jett Woo's in great shape and I can hardly wait for him to be in the line up.  He's listed at 6' 205 but I'd say even a little heavier...seems like he's put on some more muscle in a recent shot I saw of him (provided it wasn't photoshopped).

Great points but in my opinion In todays NHL, it will first come down to what the league will allow in general and what the Zebras will allow on a game by game basis.  Secondly, with the way the rules are being created and enforced in regards to on ice accountability, a team is better off just making a BIG ruckus at the time of incident & just dragging both teams into it.  In a cap world, it would be a big waste wasting cap & roster space for a 5 min a game tough guy.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

23 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I was never a fan of keeping Markstrom.  Good goaltender, but demko has the same,  if not more potential. Never excited when it takes a goaltender as long as it took Markstrom to figure it out. My guess is he will be a goaltender with a good,  but short prime. Maybe I'm wrong though. We shal see.

He got good too old. Plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko:        2.87   .913

Markstrom:  2.89   .909

6D041425-D3E2-4FA5-B12A-A4CD847C069A.gif

Both headed in opposite directions too, with his crazy start and Thatcher's slow.

I watched the BOA last night, and Markstrom was flopping ALL OVER the place with the game on the line, and he blew it.

Edited by xereau
  • Upvote 1

Not that I necessarily believe these but on The Tragically Lame front:

A Zonautical Disaster (for team defense)

Behind by a Century (in terms of the rebuild)

And who could forget the song:

Little Things

It gets so stuffy up here
Better shine your dress loafers up
It's the start of another new year
Better call the agent up
Two fifty for some popcorn
And ten bucks and a half for a beer
Press box time, Press box time
Press box time is here

The long days of good hockey are gone
So is offense Henrik Sedin style