The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Maybe this 3 balanced lines idea isn't too bad. This make shift 1st line has been great w/ Miller in the middle, he looks better at C.

I was wondering if they would consider putting Pettersson on Horvats wing, but with the way Virtanen's going right now maybe you don't want to.

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Pettersson - Gaudette

Hawryluk - Beagle - Sutter

Then swap Pettersson in for Hoglander/Virtanen periodically to keep his ice time up. 

Its kind of sucks sticking him with Roussel/Gaudette, but Roussel can do grunt work & Gaudette has a good shot. There the best of the remaining options IMO. (Unless they bring Big Mac in, maybe)

Plus a '3rd line' gives Pettersson favorable matchups. Might be a short term weapon to help boost our offense, ala Kessel in Pittsburgh, if the 1st line w/ Hog - and 2nd w/ Jake - keeps going.

Or else if it just seems too insane to put your best player on the 3rd line:

Hog - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Pettersson

Virtanen - Sutter - Gaudette

Roussel - Beagle - Hawyrluk/Mac

Hog Bo Boeser (Boeser had his best season with Bo and Hoglander is an upgrade on Bae in every way.)  

Pete Miller Gaudette (Jumpstart Gaudette's game he's got the offensive skillz to really break out here)

Pearson Sutter Virtanen (Looks like a 3rd line to me)

Rooster Beagle Mac 

12 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

My god, last year I started a thread that was literally about why do so many people want to trade Boeser. CDCers thought it might be locked. Faith, he is golden (not just his flow).

Most of the time, it is started by the (local) media.  Due to the shutting down of 1040, I ve dabbled listening to 650 and the picture they are painting of the team is very depressing - too much negativity but I guess this is what they thing will drive there revenue (perhaps for short term gain & long term loss).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Number of games played has nothing to do with whether or not a player is exempt from the expansion draft. The only exemptions are players with less than 3 years pro experience. Number of games played is only to meet minimum availability requirements for the draft

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

The only signed Canucks that are exempt from the draft are listed below.

EXEMPT AGE POS CAP HIT EXPIRY
Höglander, Nils 20 LW $891,667 RFA (2023)
Lockwood, William 22 RW $842,500 RFA (2022)
Focht, Carson 21 C $821,667 RFA (2023)
Michaelis, Marc 25 LW $700,000 RFA (2021)
Rathbone, Jack 21 LD $925,000 RFA (2022)
Hughes, Quinn 21 LD $916,667 RFA (2021)
Woo, Jett 20 RD $860,833 RFA (2023)
Eliot, Mitch 23 RD $822,500 RFA (2021)
Tryamkin, Nikita 26 LD $0 RFA (2017)
DiPietro, Michael 21 G $811,667 RFA (2022)
Silovs, Arturs 19 G $788,889 RFA (2023)
Kielly, Jake 24 G $700,000 RFA (2021)

The way I read this, if OJ doesn't play 40 games they don't have to protect him. If Benn plays 40 games and they resign him then he can be the Dman they expose. Then they would only have to protect Schmidt and Myers, since Eddie and Hamonic would be UFAs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Honestly its just too little too late for Canucks at this point. They have to go on a huge win streak like 10 wins in a row and hope that a team falters aside from Calgary. it looks bleak with 28 games to go. I hope they can make it but I just dont see it because our D is still weak and our bottom 6 is bad.

Hey we gonna get a high pick and finally get another bluechip D men to go along with Hughes and OJ that we desperately need seeing how this draft is top heavy with D men. We are in a win win situation. Either make the playoffs or get a high end young D. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

As per John & John last game, the Laffs had 7 penalties called against them in the previous 5 games before that first penalty in the last game - this stat alone should confirm that there is a bias.  Anyways, let them cheat all they want cause it won't amount into anything in the end anyways....

I had to laugh when Nylander shot the puck over the glass in the third period. The 4 zebras had to confer about the play, incredulous that he would do something that stupid, 

Then it seemed almost like they were reluctant to call the penalty. 
The icing on the cake was when the Canucks scored on the pp.:lol: and seized the momentum.

A great moment for Canucks fans. 

• Cheers 2

Missed the game. Watched the highlights though. Loved seeing Matthews come down to the ice not even seeing Jake there. Miller and Boeser with great performances. They really gelled out there and capitalized on their chances. Bo gets one on the man advantage. Hogz notches one as well. Demko was solid like usual. It’s his time to shine. Hope we build off these performances and carry it over to our upcoming games! GCG!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points but I would argue - the opposite - and instead, of expecting the Zebras to call everything by the book: just let both teams play instead.  Collect your six figure salary and don't get notice in the ice for the wrong reason...

I’d agree, to a point. Definitely don’t want to see the refs call everything. They need to let some stuff go. If they went by the straight definitions in the rule book, saw everything, and called everything, the whole game would be played on special teams.

But if they just “let the players play” entirely and don’t call anything, it would become arms race of goons out there, with teams “policing the ice” themselves (not against that completely, but there need to be limits).

I just want one standard. Call it the same, whether superstar or plug, regular season or playoffs, good reputation teams/players or bad reputation, and the same way from start to finish, and regardless of score, or how many penalties one team has racked up already, or how many PP goals have been scored.

End the “game management” BS. End the “even up” calls. Stop trying to influence the game itself. Just apply the rules, and fairly for everyone. Find a standard for what constitutes a penalty and what doesn’t, and stick with it, fairly to all players and teams.

That’s it. Simple stuff really, but seems like they just can’t figure it out (or they just don’t really want to).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

The way I read this, if OJ doesn't play 40 games they don't have to protect him. If Benn plays 40 games and they resign him then he can be the Dman they expose. Then they would only have to protect Schmidt and Myers, since Eddie and Hamonic would be UFAs.

OJ needs protection cause he is a 2+ yrs player.

39 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I had to laugh when Nylander shot the puck over the glass in the third period. The 4 zebras had to confer about the play, incredulous that he would do something that stupid, 

Then it seemed almost like they were reluctant to call the penalty. 
The icing on the cake was when the Canucks scored on the pp.:lol: and seized the momentum.

A great moment for Canucks fans. 

Yeah, cheaters never win in the long runb and karma never forgets.  Canucks should just let the league (Bettman and Co.) & the Zebras play there favoritism game cause regardless of any fan outrage they will do what they want to do (anyways) and instead, the Canucks should just focus on what they can control.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d agree, to a point. Definitely don’t want to see the refs call everything. They need to let some stuff go. If they went by the straight definitions in the rule book, saw everything, and called everything, the whole game would be played on special teams.

But if they just “let the players play” entirely and don’t call anything, it would become arms race of goons out there, with teams “policing the ice” themselves (not against that completely, but there need to be limits).

I just want one standard. Call it the same, whether superstar or plug, regular season or playoffs, good reputation teams/players or bad reputation, and the same way from start to finish, and regardless of score, or how many penalties one team has racked up already, or how many PP goals have been scored.

End the “game management” BS. End the “even up” calls. Stop trying to influence the game itself. Just apply the rules, and fairly for everyone. Find a standard for what constitutes a penalty and what doesn’t, and stick with it, fairly to all players and teams.

That’s it. Simple stuff really, but seems like they just can’t figure it out (or they just don’t really want to).

Good points and I understand where your coming from but over the years of watching sports - I dont expect the Zebras to do to much rule enforcement(s) anymore moving forward due to the leagues non stop creation of new rule to further manage the games; this is why I call them GAME MANAGERS instead and this were I am coming from when I made the comment I did.  I would argue, the best way to perhaps grow the game from a refereeing point of view: is to lessen the referees on the ice, by using video technology to call infractions (offers a better perspective anyways) and lessen the rules (except for SAFETY RULES).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I do agree with your observations. I am EXTREMELY lukewarm about the coach as well. If he can turn this around, which I am hoping for still, I will retract everything bad I've said about TG.

Well I'm not Luke warm about Travis - NOT one bit.   In fact I'm at Absolute Zero Kelvin on that imposter.  I am solidly 100% completely convinced he will be purged on a raft and pushed out to Sea by the time this team makes a serious push in 2-3 years.  He was always meant to be an Interim coach while the team navigated thru all the bad contracts and reloaded.  With our star players about to begin to hit prime in 2-3 years and all the bad contract and deadwood hopefully purged  by then (unless JB senility allows him to continue to gift out more Loui Eriksson type contract to the "over the hill crowd"), we should be in an ideal situation to finally contract a REAL NHL caliber coach.   

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You mean the blocking of the Oakland Seals/California Golden Seals bid to have Labatt's buy them and move them to Vancouver in 1968? 

Could you imagine?

The Vancouver Seals. 

Wonder what the mascot would have looked like?

Mexican Navy Seal, lmao. ;) | Dog costumes funny, Dog halloween costumes  funny, Pet halloween costumes

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points and I understand where your coming from but over the years of watching sports - I dont expect the Zebras to do to much rule enforcement(s) anymore moving forward due to the leagues non stop creation of new rule to further manage the games; this is why I call them GAME MANAGERS instead and this were I am coming from when I made the comment I did.  I would argue, the best way to perhaps grow the game from a refereeing point of view: is to lessen the referees on the ice, by using video technology to call infractions (offers a better perspective anyways) and lessen the rules (except for SAFETY RULES).

Genuinely curious as to how video technology calls infractions? Would love to hear more on this point of view

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Honestly its just too little too late for Canucks at this point. They have to go on a huge win streak like 10 wins in a row and hope that a team falters aside from Calgary. it looks bleak with 28 games to go. I hope they can make it but I just dont see it because our D is still weak and our bottom 6 is bad.

You are blunt- but honest in your assessment.   Those are the facts and it is close to impossible for them to make the playoffs now due to TG"s unwillingness to shake the lines up and let Demko play more than Holtby for example.   That is one reason amongst many others that TG has to go.  He keeps making the same mistake over and over and over again.   He's like an old man stuck in his ways and is completely unable to think outside the box.  Can't wait till he's gone so he doesn't wreck another season again for us! He's almost as bad as Uncle Willie D.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billabong said:

Gotta think Miller has to stay at C, right? 

petey can play wing or C the 3rd line at least for the short term 

Don’t touch it if it ain’t broke.

I agree Miller needs to be in C for awhile. He's gotten back to being a straight line player rather than being in the perimeter the last 2 weeks. I think they'll have Petey on the wing when he comes back which is fine