The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I love on Hog's goal how the Canucks basically overturned the refs call simply by celebrating.

Ref signals no goal - play on. Canucks start celebrating anyways, so the refs end up blowing the play dead.

Total power move by Hog & co.

Its funny when that happens. The most extreme Ive seen was when Esa Tikanen was with the Rangers. Tikanen scored and was celebrating while making his way to his own end and was chatting it up with Richter (rangers goalie back then) while play was still going on. Eventually they stopped play and awarded him the goal

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I love on Hog's goal how the Canucks basically overturned the refs call simply by celebrating.

Ref signals no goal - play on. Canucks start celebrating anyways, so the refs end up blowing the play dead.

Total power move by Hog & co.

refs had bets on leafs winning with that emphatic no goal call

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

agree to some extent and disagree to some extent at the same time. You have to admit that Demko didn't look good at the Tavares shot from the outside. I bet Marky would have made a save on this one. I am fully aware that this is just one play and that we have to look at the bigger picture.

You can't just say Marky saves that, plus Marky allowed tons of bad goals especially early and late parts of the game.

Demko played an almost perfect series and these types of games are becoming more frequent. He's got the right headspace to be a star and has excellent control of his emotions,  I was losing faith but he's proving bubble Demko wasn't a fluke.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Choosing Demko over Markstrom is looking pretty good on management. Loved Marky but he's having injury troubles again at a key time, while Demko is here establishing himself as a starter.

At his best Marky is still (probably) better, but given age, injury history, and contract. We made the right decision. 

But but it hurt the teams feelings 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LionofJudah said:

Genuinely curious as to how video technology calls infractions? Would love to hear more on this point of view

Offsides can be easily called by using chips in the shirts and the pucks, icing the same, you take some of the zebras off the ice and have one in the rafters as a video assistant who talks with the on ice ref constantly, so any behind the play stuff gets caught without needing 4 on ice officials. Realistically you probably could take the two linesmen out as well and move them into the rafters and have them make their observations from there, leaving a single on ice official to manage the game with the three off ice officials checking for infractions and foul play and informing the ref

36 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Offsides can be easily called by using chips in the shirts and the pucks, icing the same, you take some of the zebras off the ice and have one in the rafters as a video assistant who talks with the on ice ref constantly, so any behind the play stuff gets caught without needing 4 on ice officials. Realistically you probably could take the two linesmen out as well and move them into the rafters and have them make their observations from there, leaving a single on ice official to manage the game with the three off ice officials checking for infractions and foul play and informing the ref

And that one is official is going to break up the scrums how?

chips in the shirt? Its the foot that matters

When the game goes off script the refs aren't any different than the HNIC crew. Their messaging is all about TO consumption. Matthews gets away with a series of cross checks, Nylander flipping the puck out gets a review when it is obvious and of course Hoglander's goal id waived off. I guess we can be happy that video review is the backup referee. To be fair Jake did I nice clip on Matthews and it wasn't called.

The big boys came thru. BB, JT and Bo all had very good games. Bo looked more engaged than he has for awhile. Demko played another above average game IMHO.

Observations: Virtanen had another solid game. Not only was he engaged physically (5 hits) but his d-side game was solid. Jake can pass the puck. Any luck and his line mates get shots off of his set ups. I thought Hamonic was Van's strongest d-man. He was very physical infront of his net. I thought he might get penalized for some aggressive crosschecks but was not. He was pretty consistent with his passing out of the d-zone and used the boards when necessary. Couple of nice shots on goal. IMO Hoglander has top 3 potential. He was driving his line a lot last night. His goal was simply icing on the cake. He could easily be getting 2-3 points a game the way he is playing. 

2 goals off the rush last night. That hasn't happened for a while. Laffer defense was having trouble with the outside speed. IMO the Canuck skill sometimes slows the game down as they maneuver for advantage. I cannot remember the last time I saw Petey come down the wing and crank a shot on net. The 4th line had a solid night. The 3rd line is a challenge. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Its funny when that happens. The most extreme Ive seen was when Esa Tikanen was with the Rangers. Tikanen scored and was celebrating while making his way to his own end and was chatting it up with Richter (rangers goalie back then) while play was still going on. Eventually they stopped play and awarded him the goal

Richter was probably calling for a translator, no one could understand a word he said

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Traded Boeser for what? Unless he was going to bring a young top 4D and a top 6 forward then that would be stupid. Not like we have scoring forwards to spare now. Trading our young players who were calder nominees is stupid.

A top 4 damn, a draft pick and keep Toffoli.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, LionofJudah said:

Genuinely curious as to how video technology calls infractions? Would love to hear more on this point of view

PERHAPS have the two Zebras sit outside the ice with access to multiple screens and with an infraction, then call the play dead would be a very simple of putting it - imo, but who knows - there is enough technology out there that the league can start experimenting. My point and based on the original conversation is that Zebras are not rules enforcer but rather there role is MORE towards that of a game manager...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Clearly Hogs and Jake have played well in the top 6

Jake is finally performing so i really don’t see the value in ruining that momentum. Hogs offensive skill is wasted on line three

we need to set up our lines to take advantage of our strengths and not play weaknesses . Pearson has not performed well offensively so we need to set up lines 1 and 2 as our offensive set and make line 3 our shutdown line. Pearson can transition to a defensive role 

line 3 should be beagle, sutter and Pearson  ( motte when he returns)

line 4 is an energy line with Mac, gauds and hawryluk...... sit Roussel 

when motte is back move beagle to line 4 and sit weakest link on line 4 

everyone has a role 

why cant we see this? To me it blatantly obvious 

top 2 lines:

bo- ep - jake

miller - brock - hogs 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

When the game goes off script the refs aren't any different than the HNIC crew. Their messaging is all about TO consumption. Matthews gets away with a series of cross checks, Nylander flipping the puck out gets a review when it is obvious and of course Hoglander's goal id waived off. I guess we can be happy that video review is the backup referee. To be fair Jake did I nice clip on Matthews and it wasn't called.

The big boys came thru. BB, JT and Bo all had very good games. Bo looked more engaged than he has for awhile. Demko played another above average game IMHO.

Observations: Virtanen had another solid game. Not only was he engaged physically (5 hits) but his d-side game was solid. Jake can pass the puck. Any luck and his line mates get shots off of his set ups. I thought Hamonic was Van's strongest d-man. He was very physical infront of his net. I thought he might get penalized for some aggressive crosschecks but was not. He was pretty consistent with his passing out of the d-zone and used the boards when necessary. Couple of nice shots on goal. IMO Hoglander has top 3 potential. He was driving his line a lot last night. His goal was simply icing on the cake. He could easily be getting 2-3 points a game the way he is playing. 

2 goals off the rush last night. That hasn't happened for a while. Laffer defense was having trouble with the outside speed. IMO the Canuck skill sometimes slows the game down as they maneuver for advantage. I cannot remember the last time I saw Petey come down the wing and crank a shot on net. The 4th line had a solid night. The 3rd line is a challenge. 

Good points.   

IMO, besides playing more of a veteran line up, the one main adjustment I ve noticed the staff made, is to roll four lines (although, d core deployment has been pretty balance for alot longer this season) which leads to a mostly engaged & less fatigue line up.  The team is still commiting some sloppy play(s) but at the very least, it cannot be attributed to fatigue or playing anxious due to low ice time.  

Also, playing a more structured and discipline game with Demmers timely saves (although, the Laffs first goal, I would consider a softie) has kept alot of the momemtum on our side during these past two games.   Despite some of the obvious bias from the Zebras, the overall theme of just letting both teams play leads to a faster & more watchable game.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

An encouraging difference between last night and our defensive play in the bubble is that we weren't just letting the other team cycle while keeping them to the outside.  Both Hamonic and Miller broke up the cycle on a couple of occasions with well-timed hits.  Would love to see more of that.  It takes size, quickness and an ability to read the play, but we've got some guys who can do that.  Miller at C is a revelation:  Bo could learn a thing or two from him about how impose himself on the game. 

Canucks arguably play two of their best games this year, beating the " top team " in the league back to back and the page count is almost cut in half compared to when we lose.
I find it crazy how many people here only show up for the negative side.

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

You can't just say Marky saves that, plus Marky allowed tons of bad goals especially early and late parts of the game.

Demko played an almost perfect series and these types of games are becoming more frequent. He's got the right headspace to be a star and has excellent control of his emotions,  I was losing faith but he's proving bubble Demko wasn't a fluke.

Ditto: his ametuer record and last years playoffs seems to indicate that when he knows he is the #1 goalie then he is able to focus on just playing and improving his game - same with JV, when he knows he playing top 6 with guaranteed minutes, he can just focus on playing as he has shown these past two games (imo).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

HoRvAt DoEsNt LeAd By ExAmPlE

The stats are getting so obscure these days. Give it a few years and they'll be posting things like "Most goals by a brunette forward with 8 letters in his last name by regular season game 100" 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Clearly Hogs and Jake have played well in the top 6

Jake is finally performing so i really don’t see the value in ruining that momentum. Hogs offensive skill is wasted on line three

we need to set up our lines to take advantage of our strengths and not play weaknesses . Pearson has not performed well offensively so we need to set up lines 1 and 2 as our offensive set and make line 3 our shutdown line. Pearson can transition to a defensive role 

line 3 should be beagle, sutter and Pearson  ( motte when he returns)

line 4 is an energy line with Mac, gauds and hawryluk...... sit Roussel 

when motte is back move beagle to line 4 and sit weakest link on line 4 

everyone has a role 

why cant we see this? To me it blatantly obvious 

top 2 lines:

bo- ep - jake

miller - brock - hogs 

Mac can play against physical teams but I already like Michaelis' overall game better. The speed him and hawryluk have brought has been such a difference on the forecheck and both guys understand what to do defensively, something Mac continues to struggle with. I don't see Mac as a regular NHL player.