The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

Both headed in opposite directions too, with his crazy start and Thatcher's slow.

I watched the BOA last night, and Markstrom was flopping ALL OVER the place with the game on the line, and he blew it.

Ditto and it was the right call to let the Flakes pay him that money - yikes !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/what-team-has-most-hits-per-game

This is the data on hits; I previously posted data on our D being shorter and lighter than most teams. You may not agree with me, and that’s fine. IMO, we have a pretty good top 6 and look forward to Podz joining them. I think our bottom six are filled with bad contracts that don't reflect well on JB and needs fixing (yes they all expire in 1 1/2 years but they limit our options until then). Although our D has tightened up lately, they still need retooling. The data I posted shows they are on average shorter and lighter than most teams and don’t hit as much. We are all aware that they often allow too many shots on goal and don’t contribute enough points (aside from Hughes). If you are happy with the team as constructed or feel that there are different needs to become a contender, that’s fine by me. Neither of us are GMs but are armchair fans pi**ing in the wind. Have a good day.

Confused why you bring up all this Different data? I'm not an armchair gm either, i just simply called you on your original post that claimed or Dmen are smaller and weaker than most of the league. That was your comment in your original post.

Saying things doesn't make it fact

What data shows our Dmen are smaller and weaker than most of the league? Not hits, not shots on goal, not blocked shots, not your opinion, but facts On DMen size and strength? 

How do you even measure weak?

Here is your data, the canucks whole team are 13th in league in height and weight

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats/2020-2021

How did you extract small and weak from those data facts? You didn't,  you added your own personal opinion that YOU think our Dmen are small and weak and when challenged to back it up you cannot

Have a great day stevie

Edited by AbrasiveAjax
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Here's something to consider about physicality: it's dangerous, and if it's a sustained part of the plan, that danger's cumulative.

This is why I believe we see so little of it from this team. It's not that they can't, it's because it's what they've been told.

What good does it do the team if you are out 8 weeks with a broken hand from a fight which ultimately meant nothing?

In the playoffs it's one thing, but if the regular season's only purpose is to get in, then it makes sense to get there the healthiest possible, aye?

Again, I believe that this is precisely why we see the product we do.

Bingo! The pussification (<--technical term) of the NHL is by design. The leauge wants to reduce injuries (especially head injuries) so they've put all sorts of disincentives in place to reduce the amount of fighting, hitting, and general aggression. In a few more years its going to be psuedo figure skating out there.  You can't really fault the players. They play within the rules the leauge sets.  Besides, taking and receiving hits night in and night out is hard on the body and adds up over time. The players are people not robots. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

I was never a fan of keeping Markstrom.  Good goaltender, but demko has the same,  if not more potential. Never excited when it takes a goaltender as long as it took Markstrom to figure it out. My guess is he will be a goaltender with a good,  but short prime. Maybe I'm wrong though. We shal see.

Markstrom was on waivers at age 24. He never became a starter until he was 27. Demko is 25 and is looking like a legit #1. After his performance in last years playoffs it was a no brainer to keep him and not commit the big dollars to Markstrom even though a lot of posters felt otherwise. 2 good years as a starter shouldn’t get you a 6x6 contract at age 30. Calgary was desperate and now they will pay the price.

I can see Markstrom falling hard in about 2 years, especially without Ian Clark. For all his free agent blunders Benning deserves high praise on this one.

Keeping Demko is going to make the Canucks a legit Stanley Cup contender in a couple years. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Just don't let Benning sign anymore free agents. Stick to trades and the draft.

Try to be smart once Sutter and Pearson etc come off the cap.

Imo the Canucks need another top 4 d Myers ain't cutting it.

Edler is an old war horse still battling and playing solid d.

They need another guy to pair Hughes.

Ristolainen would be a nice complementary piece to Hughes on the right side.

The Canucks also have the makings of a quality 4th line with Gadjovich,Lind, and MacEwen in a year or two.

Well none of what you listed there is news, it'll happen and us fan's who are patient (although it hasn't been easy) will be the happiest that we have a team and depth, not a one trick pony with one shot and no farm because it was sold out like every other year for the most part in the history of the franchise, you'd think most people would want that more than anything but it only shows how clueless and short sighted people can be..  but I suppose that's why the rest of the league think we really are just that stupid and we seem to prove them right time after time..  oh well, glad that's not ALL of us but even our Vancouver media are just as bad if not worse but we'll be ok, and I, for one am sooooo looking forward to a team that competes every year not just once a freakin decade or so.. 

14 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Bingo! The pussification (<--technical term) of the NHL is by design. The leauge wants to reduce injuries (especially head injuries) so they've put all sorts of disincentives in place to reduce the amount of fighting, hitting, and general aggression. In a few more years its going to be psuedo figure skating out there.  You can't really fault the players. They play within the rules the leauge sets.  Besides, taking and receiving hits night in and night out is hard on the body and adds up over time. The players are people not robots. 

You don’t need fighting in the NHL in order for it to be entertaining. The best hockey is played in the playoffs. How many fights do you see in the playoffs?  What other major sports league allows fighting as part of the game?

Look at all the players from the past who fought for a living in the NHL. A lot of them are not even around anymore. Drug overdoses, suicide, brain damage. Staged fights are a waste of time. They do nothing to help the sport. What the NHL needs is better refereeing to stop the cheap shots so players don’t have to drop the gloves to get even.

The refereeing in the NHL is brutal so that is why we still have fighting in the league. Get better refs and get rid of all the goons in the league who can’t play and we are much better off. I’d rather see playoff hockey during the regular season than a bunch of 4th liners gooning it up because of a cheap shot. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You don’t need fighting in the NHL in order for it to be entertaining

I dunno man. I used to go to games live in '06-09 and the crowds went crazy when a guy like Rypper would have a spirited bout. They definitely found it entertaining.  

Edit: The Macewan/Fobert fight the other night was the best scrap I've seen in a long time. You think giving Forbert a 2 minute cross checking penalty in the last 3 minutes of the game would have been more entertaining than watching that? If the kids wanna fight, let them fight, if they don't than thats okay too. 

Edited by CptCanuck16
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

It's already here, and I call it Statscapades.