The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 8, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

38 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yes, but perhaps you missed the "until the rest of the team woke up" part. 

Demko part of the team...yes, there are also 18 other skaters who make up that team who did not show up...facts

Demko is part of the team. Not sure it's so difficult to understand..

• Hydration 2
5 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

During the 5-3 and at other times later in the game, I wondered if QH was concussed by that first period big hit. He was awful tonight.

Or he’s a 21 year old figuring out how to be a consistent pro. There’s that too

• Hydration 3
42 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yes, but perhaps you missed the "until the rest of the team woke up" part. 

Demko part of the team...yes, there are also 18 other skaters who make up that team who did not show up...facts

I thought that we outplayed Montreal by a thin margin.  

Didn’t mind the effort tonight. 

• Hydration 2
38 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Nice to see some of those timeframes laid out like that.. I’ve looked up a few over the years but it’s good to see it all in one place for context.  The truth is, it takes a damn long time and some serious luck to go from bottom feeder to contender.  

If we manage to get off the ground with our first crop still with us (Bo, Brock, and yeah... Jakey too) that’s not the criticism people think it is, be it 7-8-9 years or whatever.  What matters is if the team is any good at the end of that span.

The fact that there is a decent chance of us returning to the cup finals 10+ years later before any other team in Canada always puts things in perspective for me. People seem to think that when a team rebuilds it will automatically become successful,  yet the truth is that usually isn't the case. Of all the teams that have been on the same timetable as us, none have a 1C, 2C, 1D, 1G and 3-4 real good wingers. We also have another 5+ prospects that legit have a chance at being regulars with the team.

We also have 60+ cap coming off the books over the next two seasons.

• Hydration 4

If Sekeres was still around he'd be right on the Pettersson "controversy" tomorrow afternoon. :bigblush:

Edited by kanucks25
  • Hydration 1
2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

7 year rebuild?

How long did the Blackhawks take?

Panthers?

Avalanche?

I can’t  get over the accepted losing culture 

The blackhawks sucked for over a decade 

Panthers have been rebuilding in perpetuity since 94 

Edited by canuck73_3
24 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Great post. I do think the agenda with the team under Linden was to re-tool while trying to get the twins another shot.

Adding guys like Vanek, Vrbata, LE among others speaks to a team trying to win IMO.

Either way until the Twins retired this was never gonna be the next cores team.

One thing I wish was different was Benning not having any real assets to move but Kesler and having more than 1 player under 24 and literally more than one prospect.

A lot of the moves Benning made were forced do to how old the team was and the lack of any prospects.

People may bitch about guys like Sutter and Beagle but they absorbed a lot of tough minutes that none of our young centres were ready for.

If you look around at teams that struggle developing prospects, most lack enough insulation and Vets teaching them how to be pros. 

Hey you two, you need to stop talking about reality of how it was back then and is today, people might catch on and think for themselves instead of the media doing it for them..  and you know how that turns out... 

Anyway that's correct, all ownership and management were trying to do was keep the seats with people in them and adjust as time went on and the long term aging contracts were coming off.

That's why the LE move in particular happened but who knew that a player like him would just flip as badly as he did but I think the term had something to do with it as most players don't want to keep moving around the league as many have families and sometimes term trumps but I think 3 years would have helped idk. Actually I was stoked when he showed up after doing fairly well with the B's and then the Twins during the world's, I only ever saw him once play to his potential and sadly it was the night when the Twins retired but I supposedly missed another game that he played well but honestly I never saw it coming to that but anyway he's a goner soon and that will help us pay for Petey's raise. 

Good observation btw.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
1 hour ago, joe-max said:

Blackhawks rebuild 1997-2008:

11 seasons (1 cancelled due to lockout); 1x play-offs, no series win; worst season (03/04): 54 points

Panthers rebuild 1997-2020:

23 seasons (1 cancelled due to lockout); 3x play-offs, no series win; worst season (01/02): 60 points

Avalanche rebuild 2008-2017:

9 seasons; 2x play-offs, no series win; worst season (16/17): 48 points

Canucks rebuild 2013-2020

7 seasons, 2x play-offs, 1 series win (+ play-in win); worst season (16/17): 69 points

Not sure what your problem is...

50+ years no Cup, that’s the problem but hey, we’re great on excuses.

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

Blackhawks rebuild 1997-2008:

11 seasons (1 cancelled due to lockout); 1x play-offs, no series win; worst season (03/04): 54 points

Panthers rebuild 1997-2020:

23 seasons (1 cancelled due to lockout); 3x play-offs, no series win; worst season (01/02): 60 points

Avalanche rebuild 2008-2017:

9 seasons; 2x play-offs, no series win; worst season (16/17): 48 points

Canucks rebuild 2013-2020

7 seasons, 2x play-offs, 1 series win (+ play-in win); worst season (16/17): 69 points

Not sure what your problem is...

100% this, rose coloured glasses for that incredible Florida rebuild /sarcasm 

• Hydration 2

Looks like it's taken a while but the kids have finally arrived. Everyone was solid tonight but Demko's got better stats than Marky and Gaudette 4 points in 5 games (he's always had a bit of clutch mentality).

Still a long way to go but I said it before, we don't have to win 10 straight, the St Louis Blues put together a similar string and went from last to Cup winners. Two 7-3 runs will get us out of this hole and we're well on our way to that. Demko can take us anywhere right now single handedly.

12 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’d say better at mindless blame 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
13 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

a) They came really, REALLY close twice.

b) Not sure how whining, complaining and bitching about it helps the cause. Do people believe lofty expectations and public pressure increase the chance of success? If so, they are mistaken.

c) Reality is no video game, no matter how much some want it to be.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am going to say it..........we played terrible

Goaltending again!

People, please read this, as I did get some comments regarding my negativetivism

I love the Canucks and I am glad we won

But if you are just grateful we won, ok I get that, but take a look at how a top 10 team plays, how they hussle, how their passes are crisp and hard, and yet are still received, all the while the receiver is skating hard north and south. 

Take a look at the physical play, and how hard they are hitting, and the commitment that goes into every hit. This is what it will take to be a contender. When I watch these games, of the contenders, they have 12 Millers and Hoglanders.

We are not just there yet, and it is not all about talent, but drive and commitment, as well. 

When I said we played terrible, it was because we did. The passes were sloppy, the positioning was terrible, and we were lucky we were playing another team, that did not play any better.

In saying all that, we hit 3 cross bars or posts, and scored a pretty goal, so it was good we won. We did play good defensively, so I should acknowledge that as well. And Demko is showing why Benning made the decision he made, and I am happy with that as well.(out goaltended Price, that is not easy to do!) 

Remember, I love my Canucks, but I know they can give better, and I expect it............

Devron made comment that the stats were even, but I want us to have more HITS than them, more TKA's than them, and more Shots than them.....not just even

Like I said, they did not play any better

I will put it this way..........2 hockey players fight, but it looks like they are slapping each other, well yes it was even............but it looked bloody terrible

That is what I am saying............

Cheers! I will take the win!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

If Sekeres was still around he'd be right on the Pettersson "controversy" tomorrow afternoon. :bigblush:

Can't stand Sekeres.

He lies on air to his listeners. Can't even count how many times he makes up " I talked to a scout" after he loses on a point he's trying to make..

He thinks listeners can't pick up on it. Dishonesty and/or to lie is  unacceptable for a radio host to prove he's right.. 

He's one person I don't miss since 1040 went down... and I'm someone who listens to sports radio all day long as my job allows me to be able to have it on while I work. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Or he’s a 21 year old figuring out how to be a consistent pro. There’s that too

Quinn will never be great on defensive side of game. 

He reminds me of Paul Coffey his Oilers days.. imagine a guy like Scotty Bowman having Quinn on his team. He had Coffey in Pitsburgh.. Bowman couldn't stand Coffey's one dimensional play. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

People, please read this, as I did get some comments regarding my negativetivism

I love the Canucks and I am glad we won

But if you are just grateful we won, ok I get that, but take a look at how a top 10 team plays, how they hussle, how their passes are crisp and hard, and yet are still received, all the while the receiver is skating hard north and south. 

Take a look at the physical play, and how hard they are hitting, and the commitment that goes into every hit. This is what it will take to be a contender. When I watch these games, of the contenders, they have 12 Millers and Hoglanders.

We are not just there yet, and it is not all about talent, but drive and commitment, as well. 

When I said we played terrible, it was because we did. The passes were sloppy, the positioning was terrible, and we were lucky we were playing another team, that did not play any better.

In saying all that, we hit 3 cross bars or posts, and scored a pretty goal, so it was good we won. We did play good defensively, so I should acknowledge that as well. And Demko is showing why Benning made the decision he made, and I am happy with that as well.(out goaltended Price, that is not easy to do!) 

Remember, I love my Canucks, but I know they can give better, and I expect it............

Devron made comment that the stats were even, but I want us to have more HITS than them, more TKA's than them, and more Shots than them.....not just even

Like I said, they did not play any better

I will put it this way..........2 hockey players fight, but it looks like they are slapping each other, well yes it was even............but it looked bloody terrible

That is what I am saying............

Cheers! I will take the win!

she aint purdy she just looks that way.  the 5 on 3 was crushing to watch.  we won woooooo

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Quinn will never be great on defensive side of game. 

He reminds me of Paul Coffey his Oilers days.. imagine a guy like Scotty Bowman having Quinn on his team. He had Coffey in Pitsburgh.. Bowman couldn't stand Coffey's one dimensional play. 

Well Pierre Maguire's 7 Player profile 10 or so years ago shows you need a offensive D-Man and a Stay at home D-Man. Crossing my fingers that Jett Woo could be that guy.