The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 8, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

55 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Why does he have to sign him very soon, he has a year doesn't he?

Yes he does but If Jim waits very long he’ll lose any leverage he has left.  Try may sign another 1 year deal in the K then JB is left with nothing.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I thought both Gaydette and Jake had solid games. 

The team is finally starting to play with the structure that the coaching staff preaches. Demko is rounding out his game and really looking like a number one guy. 

Podkolzin is coming

You spelled Gaud wrong.  But I agree, 100% with all of this....we can see  a ray of light.

7 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I think Hamonic gets resigned, but after the ED, so he doesn't have to be protected. Nobody is going to sign him before the ED.  He will be promised an honest shot at top-4 minutes as QH's security blanket and PK1, it's hard to turn that down. JB will resign Benn, expose him and if he doesn't get taken, he goes back to being our #7-8 guy.

Seattle has a 3 day window before the ED to sign any teams pending UFA.  Should Benning not have Hamonic resigned, Kraken could entice him.  In that case, though, he would then become Vancouver's player picked by Seattle, so would have the same effect as signing him and leaving him unprotected. If we are really high on him, then sign and protect him, or strike a side deal with Seattle not to take him

I feel like the Canucks were right there with the Habs if not better and fully deserving of the win. 

How many posts and near goals did we have last night?

The main difference was the key save when Hughes turned the puck over giving Armia a breakaway. 

A couple weeks ago starting the final Toronto game that we lost, we were out playing other teams and those types of plays resulted in goals that broke our backs. 

This team is a really good young team but we'll only go as far as our goalies play for the next few years until we eliminate these types of blunders. 

Markstrom made those saves last year and we're starting to see Demko do the same (hence the wins lately) 

2 other chances I remember is the Miller turnover and the Rousel turnover both up the middle in our zone. 

That being said, if some of our posts and near misses went in, those mistakes wouldn't have been as glaring. 

Yesterday was a battle of 2 really good goalies and our guy won

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
58 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

How the hell does Pearson have a solidified top 6 role on this team including pp time? 

Just blows my mind he's constantly getting ice and really doesn't provide anything. 

51 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Was thinking the exact same thing last night. Hes been riding bos coat tails for too long. I've seen CDC users advocating for benning to resign him but I dont see what he brings to the table. Hes not fast. Doesnt have any grit. Okay ish shot. Okay ish defensively. The only good thing he did last game was dump toffoli. 

23 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Fair enough. I'm just thinking out loud here hes not a top 6 guy imo. I'd take him as a 3lw but hed have to sign for 3m. If he wants more ship him out at the tdl for whatever.

Agreed with @73 Percent.

Hes got value by potting potting the occasional goal, but hes not a top six forward. On a cup contender hes a 3rd liner. 

I cant see him getting less than 4M. Tough call for Jim.

Hes still valuable so I'd hate to see him walk for nothing, especially if we go on a streak and push for the playoffs.. but long term hes not a 2nd liner.

Too bad he doesnt play the PK. Higgy had similar stats but also brought value by penalty killing.

The best I can say about the first 50 minutes of the game is that Demko kept us in it and Montreal's forecheck and pressure game only looked as good as it did because our passing was so sloppy.  Then we sharpened our game up and turned the tide.  This was cosmic payback for all the times for all the times we deserved to win and had our hearts ripped out in the final minute.  Because, let's face it, you're going to lose most of the time if you play like we did for most of the game.  But it's great that we've got it in us to steal one like that. The team's psyche is almost back to what it was in the bubble, where we were super-resilient. 

• Vintage 1
18 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Panthers have been rebuilding since the dawn of man. Their all time goal leader is ollie &^@#ing jokinen. Stephen Weiss owns their most games played. The best player they've ever had is just our sloppy seconds. 

I used to think you and I just shared different opinions regarding green. But its clear now that you're either a troll or delusional.

You seem so happy when we lose and just a bitter loser when we win. You are in no way a fan of this team man.

Yeah, I feel similar to you, except I agreed on his points about Green. Yet tonight, Green did nothing wrong, but Canucks2288 still complains.The team stuck with their gameplan and there wasn't any head scratching moves. Virtanen was playing regular shifts and not taken off. Nothing was tampered. Green couldn't be blamed for tonight's loss.

• Hydration 1

Again Demko, kept Canucks in, he is obsoletely the star this week.

Hoping he can keep his hot hand.

The whole put great effort, and finally scored in the last minute.

The two points is wonderful.

Before, even we led a lot, still find a way to loss.

Now, even we behind, might be a lot, still find a way to win.

GO CANUCKS GO 

Not going to wade through the entire thread, so apologies if any of this has already been stated....

Anyone else think of Bert taking the monkey off his back after Gaudette finally got one to go in?

Best game I've seen from Hamonic since maybe his days in Long Island. Myers was great too. Like I always say, "You can't teach reach"....

I had to chuckle a bit at an article I read this morning about the game, from the POV of a Habs reporter.....apparently Ducharme said that Gaudette's goal was just one of those things: "A perfect shot from where he shot it".....to which I couldn't help but think, "Oh, you mean kind of like Petry's shot in the first period?"  :rolleyes:

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

I just want to give props to Brock again last night. 

I remember when the knock on him was skating and speed and now he's hard on pucks and hustles hard.

Great to see. 

I really like him with Horvat.

In a couple years when everyone is more mature physically and hopefully Podkolzin explodes on the scene like Hog has. I could see a top six of

Miller Pettersson Podkolzin

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
45 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I’m not a big fan of Pearson either but since Jake joined that line I don’t think they’ve given up a 5v5 goal while getting matched against our opponents top line. As long as they keep that going and chip in with the occasional goal I’m willing to look past their failings.

Eriksson is a skin changer? Now inhabits Jake? I see GRRM's hand in this

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Having attended the first Canucks game and by my calculations I have been to more game than all but 3 Vancouver Canucks and by far to more home games than any of them. I have spent enough money, ate my fair share of Buffalo burgers and consumed enough $10 beer to have earned the right to complain, yet here I am, hoping for the 51st time that this is the year, irregardless of any of your Green loving opinions, I am a true fan.

I too have been around since 1970 and regardless of your Green hating opinions, I think this team is WELL COACHED and on the verge of being very competitive. I'm entertained by their play, and can see some good years coming up. Listen, they may never win a cup, or they may win several. If you can't see and be happy with that, than whats the point of being a fan?  

I too, am a true fan  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I still feel like Travis Green doesn't have faith in Demko. 

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

I’d like to know what year the Panthers won the cup? Asking for a friend. 

not only have they never won a cup, but that abysmal organization has only made it out of the first round of the playoffs one single time in their 26 seasons, and only made the playoffs at all 5 other times (including the qualifying round last year).

if anyone needs to see an argument in support of the modern expansion draft format that doesn't totally cripple new teams, the panthers are it. 

• Hydration 1