The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 8, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Was thinking the exact same thing last night. Hes been riding bos coat tails for too long. I've seen CDC users advocating for benning to resign him but I dont see what he brings to the table. Hes not fast. Doesnt have any grit. Okay ish shot. Okay ish defensively. The only good thing he did last game was dump toffoli. 

He's certainly not our most exciting player but he's good defensively and one of our better players along the boards while also being able to play PK and PP2 while chipping in complimentary offense.

I won't lose sleep if we re-sign him on a cheaper deal as capable middle 6 depth... Or trade him/let him walk. Teams also need the odd 'safe', consistent, all-around player on the roster. But he's not 'dynamic', no.

42 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Seattle has a 3 day window before the ED to sign any teams pending UFA.  Should Benning not have Hamonic resigned, Kraken could entice him.  In that case, though, he would then become Vancouver's player picked by Seattle, so would have the same effect as signing him and leaving him unprotected. If we are really high on him, then sign and protect him, or strike a side deal with Seattle not to take him

Hamonic has to also want to sign with them in that scenario. And he's shown no sign of wanting to play in the US (in fact only wanting to play in Western Canada) his last few contracts, for family reasons.

So no, you don't burn a projection spot and take your chances that you'll be able to re-sign him to one of 4 teams he'd likely even play for, with a nice assignment alongside Hughes for a few more years.

• Hydration 1
33 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Again Demko, kept Canucks in, he is obsoletely the star this week.

Hoping he can keep his hot hand.

The whole put great effort, and finally scored in the last minute.

The two points is wonderful.

Before, even we led a lot, still find a way to loss.

Now, even we behind, might be a lot, still find a way to win.

GO CANUCKS GO 

Absolutely. I don't like to correct people's grammar but this one changes the meaning completely. As long as Demko performs like last night he will never be obsolete. Absolutely not.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, tas said:

not only have they never won a cup, but that abysmal organization has only made it out of the first round of the playoffs one single time in their 26 seasons, and only made the playoffs at all 5 other times (including the qualifying round last year).

if anyone needs to see an argument in support of the modern expansion draft format that doesn't totally cripple new teams, the panthers are it. 

Yet they made the finals in their 3rd year ... go figure that one

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's certainly not our most exciting player but he's good defensively and one of our better players along the boards while also being able to play PK and PP2 while chipping in complimentary offense.

I won't lose sleep if we re-sign him on a cheaper deal as capable middle 6 depth... Or trade him/let him walk. Teams also need the odd 'safe', consistent, all-around player on the roster. But he's not 'dynamic', no.

Hamonic has to also want to sign with them in that scenario. And he's shown no sign of wanting to play in the US (in fact only wanting to play in Western Canada) his last few contracts, for family reasons.

So no, you don't burn a projection spot and take your chances that you'll be able to re-sign him to one of 4 teams he'd likely even play for, with a nice assignment alongside Hughes for a few more years.

And, ofc, if Seattle does offer an enticingly sweet contract, he always has the option to come to JB and ask to be matched as closely as possible

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Was thinking the exact same thing last night. Hes been riding bos coat tails for too long. I've seen CDC users advocating for benning to resign him but I dont see what he brings to the table. Hes not fast. Doesnt have any grit. Okay ish shot. Okay ish defensively. The only good thing he did last game was dump toffoli. 

I don't think you are going to have to worry about Pearson, there won't be cap room to re-sign him if we go after a 3C upgrade this offseason, which should be a priority over wingers which we thankfully have some good young ones now in Hog's and hopefully Podkolzin makes it out of camp (fully expect that but I guess you can't count your chickens).

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And, ofc, if Seattle does offer an enticingly sweet contract, he always has the option to come to JB and ask to be matched as closely as possible

If I'm Benning, I offer him a fair contact of what I think he's worth and let his agent know if he wants to go play across the border, for a bit more cash, that's his choice.

• Hydration 1
4 hours ago, 13231 said:

It often baffles me how short sighted and reactionary some people are regarding our team. Nuances regarding the rebuild are ignored and there's this perpetual "grass is greener on the other side" idea that somehow tanking and stacking up top 3 picks will magically build a cup winning team. But glad majority of fans (at least on this board) are opposing that non sense, especially the poster earlier who laid out the facts regarding the rebuilds of teams like Chicago, Florida and Colorado. I'm not even going to get into whatever Buffalo, Edmonton and Arizona have been doing all these years. It also doesn't help that we have the most toxic media in the entire NHL. Completely agree with this post and glad there is a more reasonable outlook on things among a larger portion of fans now. 

That poster is a whiny fool. I'm glad people like that are not the norm. Nowadays the internet means you have to accept 25% garbage along with any quality you get.

I remember the good old days where the GM used to worry about draft picks and off ice stuff during the season and the fans worried about their team and winning games. Maybe when the season was done and there were 1 or 2 games left fans would look towards the upside of a high pick after a losing season. Now we have the Gen X crybabies who are clamoring for a top 10 pick 15-20 games into the season and literally appear as if they're going to jump off a cliff or put out a hit on JB. :picard:

Unbelievable, I'd be absolutely embarrassed to be this type of person. Could you imagine them in a meeting with hockey people including JB and TG, would they talk to hockey people about hockey the same way they talk to us? Can you imagine how they would look in a professional setting discussing these matters?

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think you are going to have to worry about Pearson, there won't be cap room to re-sign him if we go after a 3C upgrade this offseason, which should be a priority over wingers which we thankfully have some good young ones now in Hog's and hopefully Podkolzin makes it out of camp (fully expect that but I guess you can't count your chickens).

What if we use Virtanen's cap hit towards said 3C?

And I do agree, it should be a priority.

(Looks like Lind potentially too FWIW.)

Just now, aGENT said:

What if we use Virtanen's cap hit towards said 3C?

And I do agree, it should be a priority.

(Looks like Lind potentially too FWIW.)

Do you mean in a trade for a 3C, or dump Jake and use the cap? 

So the Canucks have won 4 of 5 and 3 in a row just sayin’

Edited by Me_
20 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So the Canucks have won 4 of 5 and 3 in a row just sayin’

Yeah.... CDC getting boring lol

Nothing to complain about haha

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Do you mean in a trade for a 3C, or dump Jake and use the cap? 

*Trade Jake.

But yes either in trade for Jake or move Jake and use that cap (and/or potentially the return assets) for a 3C.

• Hydration 2
37 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yet they made the finals in their 3rd year ... go figure that one

yeah, that was the epitome of a fluke cinderella run. 

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

How the hell does Pearson have a solidified top 6 role on this team including pp time? 

Just blows my mind he's constantly getting ice and really doesn't provide anything. 

ZERO alternatives.

Absolutely zero alternatives in the Top 6, with Ferland on LTIR.

Toffoli would have been the man, but this ship has sailed.

Toffoli with 15 goals so far miles better than the guys we have like Jake... for example.

But hey Benning wants to add a top 9 guy ... Still searching. Get nothing done. ...

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Trade Jake.

But yes either in trade for Jake or move Jake and use that cap (and/or potentially the return assets) for a 3C.

RNH is a UFA this off season. He's been a 3C in Edmonton now for several seasons, and he's good there.

Hometown boy, hasn't reupped in Edm yet, everything's pointing in this direction, imo.

No need to trade, and we might even get him at a good price.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

that line last night..... Jake 2 sog .... Horvat 2 sog.... and Pearson 3 sog, not saying Pearson is great but there are others on the team that need to go before he does

12 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, that was the epitome of a fluke cinderella run. 

Wasn't that the "year of the rat" when fans threw plastic rats on the ice after a Panthers goal?   That was the reason the NHL instituted a delay of game penalty for fans littering the ice, except for celebrating a hat trick 

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

that line last night..... Jake 2 sog .... Horvat 2 sog.... and Pearson 3 sog, not saying Pearson is great but there are others on the team that need to go before he does

With Jake and Bo both so often looking to shoot, would love to see Pearson simply walk in offseason, or maybe we can get a pick for him, who knows.

That 2nd line needs an elite puck distributor, and Pearson ain't that. Podz may be that guy, but it's unfair to assume he'll be able to step right in.

If we can pick up a younger winger than Pearson via UFA, who's known as a passer, I'd be 100% for this.

As for who else has to go in bottom 6, sadly we'll have to wait for the 2022/23 roster to see that.  But when it does, I expect to see a youthful bottom 6, guys with speed who are hungry. Motte/MacEwen will be only 2 from current roster in that mix, likely.