The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 8, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

With Jake and Bo both so often looking to shoot, would love to see Pearson simply walk in offseason, or maybe we can get a pick for him, who knows.

That 2nd line needs an elite puck distributor, and Pearson ain't that. Podz may be that guy, but it's unfair to assume he'll be able to step right in.

If we can pick up a younger winger than Pearson via UFA, who's known as a passer, I'd be 100% for this.

As for who else has to go in bottom 6, sadly we'll have to wait for the 2022/23 roster to see that.  But when it does, I expect to see a youthful bottom 6, guys with speed who are hungry. Motte/MacEwen will be only 2 from current roster in that mix, likely.

Do you think Nucks are going to have enough Cap Space available to add a young top 6 winger in free agency?

9 minutes ago, xereau said:

RNH is a UFA this off season. He's been a 3C in Edmonton now for several seasons, and he's good there.

Hometown boy, hasn't reupped in Edm yet, everything's pointing in this direction, imo.

No need to trade, and we might even get him at a good price.

I'd probably prefer someone with a bit more defensive ability and size in the 'two way' ability required there. A guy like Tierney would be the dream (though I doubt OTT would be inclined to part ways with him).

We need that guy to be able to be a secondary PK2 and potentially PP2 guy, win faceoffs and help eat matchups, dzone starts and generally free up more offensive usage for our top 2 lines. A guy like Tierney would also be a solid, short term injury fill in should a guy like Horvat get injured.

Here's hoping Benning finds said Tierney-esque player.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Not that much options to add a 3C via free agency :

- RNH <---------------- this guy

- Blake Comeau

- Matthias Janmark

- Alex Wennberg

- Philip Danault

39 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

And beat the Jets Leafs and Habs in the span of a week, when’s the last time that happened?

Add a few more 1st rounders to that team and the League is in serious trouble.

• Hydration 1
18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Wasn't that the "year of the rat" when fans threw plastic rats on the ice after a Panthers goal?   That was the reason the NHL instituted a delay of game penalty for fans littering the ice, except for celebrating a hat trick 

yup.

7 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Philip Danault? Nault thanks!

I don't want him as well. Underrated defensive 3rd line center, but has an ego. He simply whines about being on the 3rd line because Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are ahead of him in the depth chart long term. If he is here, he will be behind Pettersson/Miller and Horvat. The guy won't take it as he sees himself as a top 2 center.

33 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Wasn't that the "year of the rat" when fans threw plastic rats on the ice after a Panthers goal?   That was the reason the NHL instituted a delay of game penalty for fans littering the ice, except for celebrating a hat trick 

Yup.  They didn't win, but they made that series memorable with their plastic rats.  lol. 

edit:  I love how the workers had to wear hard hats to protect them from flying rats. The one who doesn't have one on looks terrified.

image.jpg

Edited by kilgore
4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Both win cups

both more advanced in their rebuild 

What has Florida ever won except top 3 picks? How many top 3 picks have we had compared to the hawks ?

• Hydration 2
35 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I think it's because Scott Mellanby killed a rat with his stick in the lockerroom. 

That was also jovocop's coming out party

• Hydration 3

Reading through the polar opposing opinion of the state of this team makes me shake my head. 

As a lifelong fan, I've never been this excited when looking at a Canucks team. 

As some have mentioned, we have beaten the Leafs, Habs and jets in a span of a week. 

Our guys have come together and are playing a really high calibre level of hockey. 

We were One game away from knocking out the Knights after beating the defending Stanley Cup Champs and The Wild. 

This year's been a weird year in terms of training camp (lack off) condensed schedule, lack of practice time, new faces etc. Especially as a young group, this is an even harder adjustment. 

We finally got through it and guys are playing like we thought they would (after last season) 

I was confused in Jan and Feb because the guys on the ice were playing so far below their potential it was puzzling. 

TG and Benning then talked about lack of rest, practice time etc. 

We then see them pick it up starting the last Toronto game we lost. 

Since then, they outplayed their opponents but had no puck luck and still continued to lose as teams would capitalize on plays that went against the flow on our breakdowns. 

Even then, I said the boys are starting to play well and controlling the game. 

Now we are still playing well but getting some puck luck, timely goaltending, and winning games. 

I care about the team playing the right way and we are doing that. 

If this team miraculously makes it into the playoffs, I have no doubt that the opposing team will be concerned because they know how good we are. (certain fans just don't) 

Now imagine in 1.5 years when all these cap hits are off the team. 

We are literally left with our best players and a crap load of capspace. 

Anyone not understanding how great of a position we are are super shortsighted. 

We may make a run this year but in 1.5 years, I will guarantee that we will get to round 2 of playoffs at minimum. 

Baerstchi

Luongo

Erikson 

Roussel

Spooner 

Beagle

Holtby

Sutter

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

How would it be calculated if he was traded a second time?

There would be no penalty for the new team because his salary is now below his cap hit.  

Each team is liable for the years they benefited from his contract structure. The overall penalty for each team is total salary less cumulative cap hit for the years on the team.  

Weber was 4 years in Nashville where he was paid each year 14M but his cap hit was only 7.8M.  Their overall recapture penalty is that difference between salary received and cap hit.  4 years x (14M salary - 7.8M cap hit).

A similar calculation would be done for his time in Montreal starting from the date of the trade to Montreal to the day he gets traded out.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Both win cups

both more advanced in their rebuild 

The Panthers made it to the cup once (96) since they entered the league in 94 and they did not win. In fact in 26 seasons they have only made the playoffs 5 times.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Not quite sure why the rush to dump Pearson. He's not even 29 yet and it seems to be forgotten that he had 45 points last season, that seems to me to be good value for money. This year hasn't been great but we have to remember that the team as a whole sucked for the entire month of February. He plays big minutes and is a real Swiss army knife type of guy.

If the price is right we should keep him.

Yeah I had written him off too but he could be like a Higgins type vet when we go on a run in the future. 2nd/3rd line tweener. 

The question is, our top 6 projected players are

Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Hogs, Pod, Miller

In 2 years when the rest of the cap hits come off the books, will Pearson be better compared to other 3rd line wingers? 

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

How the hell does Pearson have a solidified top 6 role on this team including pp time? 

Just blows my mind he's constantly getting ice and really doesn't provide anything. 

Maybe it's a sell thing.  Who knows.   We certainly don't - and without EP on the PP someone has to move up right? 

50 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think it's because Scott Mellanby killed a rat with his stick in the lockerroom. 

That was also jovocop's coming out party

Yep - his "Rat Trick".... a rat was in the locker room and he pasted it with his wrist shot lol.   The "little ball of hate" was quite the player.   So was Jovo for that matter - still the best number one Canuck we've ever had - and took some  - not all for sure - but some of the sting out of the Bure trade (which i hated at the time - really truly just hated). 

Edit:  On Jovo.  Around 2002 he was an Olympian - and had a great one at that setting up the gold medal goal - and for a couple of years in the Norris discussion.   Had the ability to completely take over games - tough as nails in all zones and when he fought did it like balls out non-stop all offense etc.   Ended up top 50-100 in most all-time catagories for a D as well.    People say we never had a "true number one" but they are wrong - we did - and it was Reinhart and Jovo that managed that.  Lumme was close too/ as was Lidster.    If your sixth or so in Norris voting - your absolutely a number one D in my books. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2