The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 8, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Roussel doing the pregame media availability today. Glad that such a foundational member of the team is speaking today. :lol:

They may feel because he's French and the Canucks are facing les Canadiens, his opinion is somehow important. We all know it's not though. He was chosen to speak because he's French. Is there a word for that?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They may feel because he's French and the Canucks are facing les Canadiens, his opinion is somehow important. We all know it's not though. He was chosen to speak because he's French. Is there a word for that?

Cowardice. Scared to hear the truth

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I miss Cherry too.   Yes he wasn't politically correct - and i've read a lot that what you see on TV is pretty close to what you get off of it - so it's not acting.   He's a patriot that doesn't mind being impolite.   Got a lot of flack when he started for saying things like "don't give me a European that can score 20-30 points - leave those jobs for the good old Canadian boys" and using words such as yellow to describe the way they played compared to ... well Sutters it's hard to not agree.    He had a great relationship with Bure - even though he called him out a few times, Bure would often seek him out after the game and say hello - Cherry loves him for it, as he respected Mogilny, Federov and the rest of the skilled European "invasion" of the late 80's and 90's.      For all he did for the sport, and as a patriot, the way he was treated at the end was shameful IMO.   A cultural icon sent to pasture - for yet again factually calling it how it is from his own eyes which see a lot more then the average person.   And he was calling out an entire generation too - but that was lost in translation.   Shame.  Doubt we will see anything like it again snowflakes get offended everywhere for things that don't even have anything to do with them.   Not the way he should have gone out - that is for sure.   Yes he was polarizing and like me i'm sure a lot of fans didn't agree with everything he said, but he always made good points - and constantly fought for Canadians in the NHL.   

Great post! 

I have probably told this story before so ignore if so. Back in the early '80's I was at a fertilizer convention in Winnipeg. Cherry was the feature speaker on the rubber chicken circuit. He did his Don Cherry routine and everyone enjoyed it. Lots of applause. So Don finishes up and says he will stay behind to talk hockey and sign autographs. As a old Habs fan I hated Cherry from his Boston days but had a connection as Johnny Bucyk was a family friend. I stay behind and the crowd thins out and about 4-5 of us stood around and talked with Don. He is as exactly like you suggested. He does not put on airs. A real straight shooter. 

I had to laugh when I asked him about Orr cutting his leg open while fishing with Bucyk on Kootenay Lake. Don smiled and admitted to me that a few beers were involved. 

" I only had Johnny for 1 season he said." Actually Bucyk stayed with the Bruins right up to a few years ago. PR in the Boston area. Still likes to come back to the Lake but his health is failing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Great post! 

I have probably told this story before so ignore if so. Back in the early '80's I was at a fertilizer convention in Winnipeg. Cherry was the feature speaker on the rubber chicken circuit. He did his Don Cherry routine and everyone enjoyed it. Lots of applause. So Don finishes up and says he will stay behind to talk hockey and sign autographs. As a old Habs fan I hated Cherry from his Boston days but had a connection as Johnny Bucyk was a family friend. I stay behind and the crowd thins out and about 4-5 of us stood around and talked with Don. He is as exactly like you suggested. He does not put on airs. A real straight shooter. 

I had to laugh when I asked him about Orr cutting his leg open while fishing with Bucyk on Kootenay Lake. Don smiled and admitted to me that a few beers were involved. 

" I only had Johnny for 1 season he said." Actually Bucyk stayed with the Bruins right up to a few years ago. PR in the Boston area. Still likes to come back to the Lake but his health is failing.  

Kootenay lake is one my favourite spots in the world.   Great post - thanks for sharing! 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Great post! 

Yeah agree with him or not, you know that's how Cherry feels on various issues.  Ron McLean seems to me to be a slimey politician.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Kootenay lake is one my favourite spots in the world.   Great post - thanks for sharing! 

Mine too! Moving to Ainsworth in May. Always liked Cherry, but typical of today, if you don't conform you're busted. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3