The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 8, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

REFEREES

Eric Furlatt #27
EF27.jpg
Michael Markovic #47
MM47.jpg
Games ’20-21 23 11
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 30 / 11 13 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1228 / 139 24 / 0
First NHL Game 10/8/01 3/7/19
Birthplace Trois-Rivieres, QC Scarborough, ON

LINESMEN

David Brisebois #96
DB96.jpg
Bevan Mills #53
BM53.jpg
Games ’20-21 23 24
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 8 64 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1260 / 54 187 / 0
First NHL Game 10/11/00 11/29/16
Birthplace Sudbury, ON Surrey, BC
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

First of all, I didn't start watching until the late 2000s as I am an immigrant, so anything happened before then I just read it as history (because I didn't live through those time so I won't feel the emotions).

I am pissed off about Toffoli because he is a legit top 6 goal scorer that is signed for a very reasonable and team friendly contract elsewhere. He fit in well with the team and he had 6 goals n 10 regular season games with us last year. We can't resign him not because we have money tied up in our best players, but because Benning's mismanagement of the cap we have money tied up at the bottom of the line up. Who would you rather have, Roussel and Beagle at $3 million each or Toffoli at $4.25 million?

Where does Hoglander go? He can start on the 3rd line and gradually move up to top 6. Who knows, Pearson's drop of production could mean we can see a Hoglander-Horvat-Toffoli line. It is always better to have a proven goal scorer to push younger players further down the line up to create better scoring depth. Toffoli and Hoglander are not mutually exclusive, they can be on the same team and make the attack more lethal. Who knows, maybe Hoglander on a line with Gaudette and Virtanen could make this a more productive 3rd line as Gaudtte doesn't have to be stuck on a line with plugs.

Is Hoglander the better player for the team going forward long term? Yes. Does Toffoli make this team better if he is here instead of let's say Roussel? The answer is definitely yes.

But it wasn't a choice between Rooster and Toffoli, since Rooster was under contract.  We could have kept Toffoli instead of Boeser, for instance, but I wouldn't take that tradeoff. Keep Stech and not get Schmitt to leave room for Toff?  Nope, I'm not doing that either.

And given your question here, I would rather have Rooster and Beagle.  We've seen enough out of Edm and Tor to see how far top heavy teams go.

I too am disappointed we lost Toffoli, but I'm not sold on that being the difference maker this season.  We played crap defensively for at least half our games so far, wherever one can pin some blame.  Slotting in Toffoli in the lineup somehow is not a guarantee of picking up more points. 

Toff has over half of his points this year against the Canucks, with that aforementioned crappy D play.  He's got a whopping 8 points in his last 13 games since he last played the Canucks.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

But it wasn't a choice between Rooster and Toffoli, since Rooster was under contract.  We could have kept Toffoli instead of Boeser, for instance, but I wouldn't take that tradeoff. Keep Stech and not get Schmitt to leave room for Toff?  Nope, I'm not doing that either.

And given your question here, I would rather have Rooster and Beagle.  We've seen enough out of Edm and Tor to see how far top heavy teams go.

I too am disappointed we lost Toffoli, but I'm not sold on that being the difference maker this season.  We played crap defensively for at least half our games so far, wherever one can pin some blame.  Slotting in Toffoli in the lineup somehow is not a guarantee of picking up more points. 

Toff has over half of his points this year against the Canucks, with that aforementioned crappy D play.  He's got a whopping 8 points in his last 13 games since he last played the Canucks.  

How about we dump one of Roussel/Beagle's contract by giving up a sweetener in Lind/Virtanen/a pick (1 of these 3 assets, not all 3).

Let's say if we never signed Beagle/Roussel to those albatross contracts, we could still find cheap replacement for them in the market. Richardson/Thompson makes $1 million or $750k each, one of them can easily replace Beagle. Corey Perry at $750k could provide more than what Roussel provides for us. We can still sign Toffoli at $4.25 million.

Toffoli scores a lot against the Canucks throughout his career (even during his LA Kings days), but he also shown that he can score when he was WITH us. Even if he doesn't score at this rate with us (because he can't play against us), atleast it prevents him from scoring all those goals against us and we could win atleast 2 more games against Montreal, and definitely would've won our only game against Habs in regulation instead of shootout. That is 4 extra points gained while taking away 5 points from the Canadiens. How much different does it make the standings now?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it also gives Podkolzin a chance at a top 6 job as well.

I'm tired of the moaning about Toffoli, we paid for a rental, and a rental he was. 

Agreed. The pandemic made his overall tenure even shorter than it should've been. The pandemic made him difficult to re-sign. Bennng has made a lot of questionable moves but this one is absolutely a casualty of the pandemic.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

First of all, I didn't start watching until the late 2000s as I am an immigrant, so anything happened before then I just read it as history (because I didn't live through those time so I won't feel the emotions).

I am pissed off about Toffoli because he is a legit top 6 goal scorer that is signed for a very reasonable and team friendly contract elsewhere. He fit in well with the team and he had 6 goals n 10 regular season games with us last year. We can't resign him not because we have money tied up in our best players, but because Benning's mismanagement of the cap we have money tied up at the bottom of the line up. Who would you rather have, Roussel and Beagle at $3 million each or Toffoli at $4.25 million?

Where does Hoglander go? He can start on the 3rd line and gradually move up to top 6. Who knows, Pearson's drop of production could mean we can see a Hoglander-Horvat-Toffoli line. It is always better to have a proven goal scorer to push younger players further down the line up to create better scoring depth. Toffoli and Hoglander are not mutually exclusive, they can be on the same team and make the attack more lethal. Who knows, maybe Hoglander on a line with Gaudette and Virtanen could make this a more productive 3rd line as Gaudtte doesn't have to be stuck on a line with plugs.

Is Hoglander the better player for the team going forward long term? Yes. Does Toffoli make this team better if he is here instead of let's say Roussel? The answer is definitely yes.

Yes your right - TT would make the team better - for now and maybe the entire contract.   Other things had to be factored in - like is two years of JV worth the bet over four years of TT at twice the money.   They went with what the devil they knew and drafted, after last season he surely earned it too.   A belated welcome to our country - i'm glad your a Canuck fan and on this forum.   Can say unequivocally that you became a fan at exactly the right time - Luongo's trade got me literally giddy at the time, knew it in my bones this team was going to go somewhere right then.... from the peak WCE days to the peak Sedin years, the teams never won more regular season games.   What happened after that was bound to happen no matter whom we had as GM - and i for one, am very grateful he didn't trade Demko and gut our prospect pool to buy in to aging vets, especially when he got an upgrade in Schmidt, a serviceable vet to push Demko and the fact we already have a glut of wingers (right especially) both on the team, BB, JV, LE and in the pool.   Lind, Podz, Hoglander .... TT was a luxury i'd love to have in two years,  the timing was off.      I'm not losing any sleep over not signing him for sure.   This is something we won't know the results of until LE is done next year.   ONE more year ugh.   No doubt JB timed it wrong - won't debate or argue against that aside from the simple fact, that only one team since the cap came has timed it exactly right with their next crop carrying the mail. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SNuck said:

I wonder if the Poutine Police are as aggressive as the Nanaimo Bar Police? 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

processed cheese slices on poutine? Are these the same people trying to make Nanaimo bars?

I like to use nacho cheese.

Call it west coast poutine.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

How about we dump one of Roussel/Beagle's contract by giving up a sweetener in Lind/Virtanen/a pick (1 of these 3 assets, not all 3).

Let's say if we never signed Beagle/Roussel to those albatross contracts, we could still find cheap replacement for them in the market. Richardson/Thompson makes $1 million or $750k each, one of them can easily replace Beagle. Corey Perry at $750k could provide more than what Roussel provides for us. We can still sign Toffoli at $4.25 million.

Toffoli scores a lot against the Canucks throughout his career (even during his LA Kings days), but he also shown that he can score when he was WITH us. Even if he doesn't score at this rate with us (because he can't play against us), atleast it prevents him from scoring all those goals against us and we could win atleast 2 more games against Montreal, and definitely would've won our only game against Habs in regulation instead of shootout. That is 4 extra points gained while taking away 5 points from the Canadiens. How much different does it make the standings now?

It's done. Get over it. Plus, you're willing to throw away an asset like Lind, and oh God, please forbid, Virtanen to lose cap space? Nice one. 

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

It's done. Get over it. Plus, you're willing to throw away an asset like Lind, and oh God, please forbid, Virtanen to lose cap space? Nice one. 

I'd rather have TT's salary open for next year and use some of that to make a play to steal Lowry from Winnipeg. He'd be a great 3C for us to replace Sutter. We have young winger options coming up in our system. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I think we have differing ideas of an albatross contract.  4 years each, at middling costs is a far cry from James Neal or Milan Lucic.  Or Loui, for that matter.  Take a look at how the Canucks did when Beagle was out in the last couple years.  Roussel has been a little disappointing, I'll give you that.  But I think we'll miss that veteran center on the 4th, especially one that does PK, when Beagle retires.  that kind of player does not often get replaced by someone on the farm team.

Or maybe I am wrong, and they can be considered albatross contracts.  We would have needed to dump both of them to make room for Toffoli, which means sweeteners on both trades.  I don't think that's worth it for a 2nd line winger.  Add on to that what we lose without Beagle, replacing him with some cheap 4th liner?  Meh.

And, not signing those two means going back in time two years before Toffoli was even here.  That's a huge what-if you are playing there.

Would we have beaten the Habs in those 4 losses if Toffoli wasn't on the Habs, given what we would have had to give up to keep him?  The way we were playing then, I strongly doubt it.  I think you have too simple a view here.  Even if you are right in that we would have stolen those points from Mtl, we can use the same logic and suggest we would not have won those two games against the Leafs (among others) without Beagle and Roussel's contributions on PK.  You can't "guarantee" anything.

And I call a big BS about Thompson.  Beagle has 50% TOI/game more than Thompson does, takes twice the faceoffs per game, and has a better FO percentage.  And Thompson rarely kills penalties in comparison to Beags.  Hardly a comparable player.  Richardson re-signed with the Yotes 2 days after we signed Beagle.  Lower than what we paid Beagle, but resigning an existing player is often cheaper.  Couple that with AZ taxes, is it unrealistic that it would have cost us 2M/year to get Richie?  Not so much savings at that point.

I'll leave it at that, and let you have the last word.  We're all entitled to our opinions, and in this case, we happen to disagree.  I'm just so happy to be looking forward to games again after these last two beauties.  Keep the streak going, and people won't worry so much about players we lost.

Cheers, and GCG! :towel:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Having wstched the replay of their last game, it was nice to see the boys get rewarded with some bounces and goals for their hard work. but most importantly it was great to see the boys celebrate a goal, with JOY and generally with EMOTION period....they will need all of that and more and some bounces again to defeat the Habs...because for some reason only known to the hockey gods, they seem to have the Nucks numbers at the moment....especailly TT... but here's hoping for the best.... GCG....:towel:

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd rather have TT's salary open for next year and use some of that to make a play to steal Lowry from Winnipeg. He'd be a great 3C for us to replace Sutter. We have young winger options coming up in our system. 

I love lowry, he is a defensive beast. 

• Cheers 2