The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lord Benning is taking us to the moon.

Rate this topic

I'm not 100% sold on our coaching staff, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people want to get rid of Benning. It makes no sense to me at all.  Also even though I'm not completely sold on the coaching I recognize you can only pick from the available options when your looking to fill those positions. It's not like you can say I like TB's coach you work for me now.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
1 hour ago, apollo said:

Coach... I expected this from @Dumb Nuck but you?! Come on man... :lol:

I have never been anti-Benning, or anti any other Canuck, only anti~Green from day one and I have never waivered. If fact whenever someone posted fire Benning I usually replied “you spelt Green wrong” so that comment actually hurts and even though it’s not game day I’m going to have to get drunk.

• Haha 2
33 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Top 30 Homer Smoking Weed Gif GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Simpsons Weed GIFs | Tenor

hippies gif

Damn bro... I thought you'd be on my side on this matter. I've seen you fend off trolls with some epic advanced stats and wisdom... thought we were both fighting the good fight :(

Anyways, you've gone ahead and posted 3 simpsons gifs of homer being high. Although, I think simpsons is funny and watched it back in the day, I think that's just a brutal reply because you're really discrediting the facts I provided... we need to be united and mute the nonsense toxicity. 

The fact is that there's absolutely no person on this planet that could have nailed the 2017, 2018 and 2019 drafts like Jim did.

I think if anyone wants to say something negative about Jim, they should have to submit their mock draft from 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019. There's no one on this planet that could have pulled of what Jim has with our picks. No one.

Anyone that has anything bad to say about him deserves the ban hammer IMO because it's pure trolling.

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I have never been anti-Benning, or anti any other Canuck, only anti~Green from day one and I have never waivered. If fact whenever someone posted fire Benning I usually replied “you spelt Green wrong” so that comment actually hurts and even though it’s not game day I’m going to have to get drunk.

Fair enough I totally thought you typed Benning since your post was right above AV's as I was scrolling up. My bad :P

That said I think you're being too hard on Greener. The boys seem to be playing hard for him - they really seem to like him. As long as they keep rallying there's no reason to doubt that Greener could lead us to a cup.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

That said I think you're being too hard on Greener. The boys seem to be playing hard for him - they really seem to like him. As long as they keep rallying there's no reason to doubt that Greener could lead us to a cup.

The players on the Red Wings did not like Scotty Bowman, I'm sure they respected him but he treated them like dogs

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It's amazing how correctly you selected your user name...

1 hour ago, RomanP said:

It's amazing how correctly you selected your user name...

Not as amazing as you coming up with that shot, pure brilliance.

5 hours ago, apollo said:

Damn bro... I thought you'd be on my side on this matter.

I am (generally) on 'your side' apollo - even when you're over the top.  You and your homer game = pure beauty.   Keep it up - it's a refreshing change of tone on these boards.

Don't read too literally into those gifs.  I'm having some fun - and am generally considered one of those homers, and could not care less. 

You go too far suggesting that anyone with bad things to say about Benning deserve the ban hammer because it's pure trolling - but whatever, fire another one up if it helps you get to the moon.

Good job on following up though, with some of your valid points - that anyone that wishes to one-up Benning should pull out their own draft records.

(mine is archived in the fantasy hockey forums - it wasn't bad, if I must say so myself:ph34r:).

You're right to focus on drafting - that really is the fundamental of the long game - without solid drafting, you can win a lottery, or two, or five, and remain mediocre nevertheless....I think the team has taken that further - they're also excelling in player development imo - as well as providing the transitional foundation that is conducive at the NHL level of development.

Anyhow - I wouldn't have posted the gifs if I thought you'd take it that seriously - but I stand by them - I love a good homer gif.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
On 3/8/2021 at 12:05 PM, ruilin96 said:

He drafted a very talented core to build around. I give him full credit for that. However, he also surrounded them with some of the most overpaid and underwhelming contracts/players in the league. If he can't manage the cap (and be creative and proactive about the current situation), there is no way he can build a contender.

To be fair, They signed Sutter, Beagle, Rous before knowing what Petterson and Hughes were going to be.

we all would of make the some mistake, i didnt hear anyone cry at the time of the signings or trades 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The players on the Red Wings did not like Scotty Bowman, I'm sure they respected him but he treated them like dogs

Not sure that's a fair statement.   Some of the players on the wings were used to a certain level of country club stardom at different times during his run with Detroit as coach - but this is the same guy who coached the Habs dynasty (an even more star studded roster), PIT to a cup too.    In other words having Hull and Robataille on top of their regular players in 2002 for example - nobody argued over who was the first PP unit or how he split them up etc, or dared to either - in a way Bowman was the star of the club by then.   He wasn't a hard ass like Iron Mike, not even close, and during the Habs dynasty he was still a very young coach.    Perfect guy to run a loaded roster after the 70's, given big ego's were shelved without comment upon arrival (Hull and Yzerman and Shanny's own words on the subject).   Other coaches would be intimidated my those types of rosters - he was not one bit, that shouldn't be confused with poor treatment because that simply wasn't the case either - you for sure got the respect part right though.   Known for a masterful tactician, line combo's and more then anything post Habs, a winner who had no trouble working with stars and was completely unaffected by their greatness.  

I can't recall which player it was but when Bowman joined the Wings skating around the ice during warm up he asked this player about him and the players said I'm ******* I'm a fixture around here to which Bowman pointed to the roof and told the guy the lights are the only fixtures around here, get used to it  LOL

It's interesting how a team with such a good core of drafted players is still 7th last in point percentage after being hired nearly 7 years ago.

I wonder why that's the case.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Josepho said:

It's interesting how a team with such a good core of drafted players is still 7th last in point percentage after being hired nearly 7 years ago.

I wonder why that's the case.

7 years ago, we had no drafted players to write home about, courtesy of Gillis. (Exception, Horvat).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

7 years ago, we had no drafted players to write home about, courtesy of Gillis. (Exception, Horvat).

Yeah but if these really good young players are currently on the team, shouldn't the team be better than 7th last?

So that leaves one of two options: the drafted core actually isn't that good, or the supporting cast is complete garbage. Either way, it doesn't paint Jim in a positive light.

It's almost as if drafting a young core with high picks is the most basic element of teambuilding, and you need much more to be successful.

Edited by Josepho
  • Hydration 1
13 hours ago, oldnews said:

I am (generally) on 'your side' apollo - even when you're over the top.  You and your homer game = pure beauty.   Keep it up - it's a refreshing change of tone on these boards.

Don't read too literally into those gifs.  I'm having some fun - and am generally considered one of those homers, and could not care less. 

You go too far suggesting that anyone with bad things to say about Benning deserve the ban hammer because it's pure trolling - but whatever, fire another one up if it helps you get to the moon.

Good job on following up though, with some of your valid points - that anyone that wishes to one-up Benning should pull out their own draft records.

(mine is archived in the fantasy hockey forums - it wasn't bad, if I must say so myself:ph34r:).

You're right to focus on drafting - that really is the fundamental of the long game - without solid drafting, you can win a lottery, or two, or five, and remain mediocre nevertheless....I think the team has taken that further - they're also excelling in player development imo - as well as providing the transitional foundation that is conducive at the NHL level of development.

Anyhow - I wouldn't have posted the gifs if I thought you'd take it that seriously - but I stand by them - I love a good homer gif.

All good I did get a chuckle out of the gifs... funnier the longer u look at them haha

Glad to know you're still generally on my side... you are a true warrior and fight the good fight... I wasn't really mad at you or anything :P

As for the ban hammer stuff I know it's outlandish to suggest for a sports team but please here me out,

If this was a company the President would step in and mute employees(fans/trolls in this case) if they are causing chaos and spreading propaganda against the company's Sales Manager(Jim in this case)... given the Sales Manager (Jim) has saved our franchise from being arguably the worst drafting team to the best.

I'm all for fans having opinions and free speech... as long as those fans/customers aren't impeding a teams chance for success by constantly crapping on the team constantly. When trolls spread nonsense it just causes unrest in the fan base and given the day and age we live in, with social media, this unrest boils over into those social media outlets and it just intensifies. If this was happening in your company wouldn't you stop it?

The negative portion of our fan base are under Canucks related depression and they aren't aware - something I know very well myself as it's affected me over the years. The depression this market has gone through is a direct result of everything that's happened to our team... and it has just snowballed after 2004 and for some reason far too many fans just expect the worse or expect us to have misfortune... when they can't see the pile of gold that Jim has amassed in front of them ...

Vancouver BC is the most prominent city/province in the NHL that only has 1 major sports team... The entire province of BC and the MILLIONS that have defected over the years are all heavily attached... this is not to mention the glorious fans we have from all across the globe who weren't from BC but just took a liking to the Canucks.

Same thing has happened in Taranna but idc about them I want to help us. It's not abnormal for Canucks die hards to have turned so sour over the years to they point that they've developed OCD on hating on specific players / management... and sickeningly spewing that nonsense on a daily basis to fulfill this OCD which makes them feel better...

I would say world wide Tarrana and Vancouver are #1 and #2 in terms of numbers... with our fans having more energy focused towards the hockey team since we don't have 2 other major teams. It's the main obsession of our fan base and therefor our collective energy is stronger.

Nonsense attracts more nonsense - these are laws of attraction. Listen I don't care about people thinking they have free right to have opinions - I'm confident in the laws of attraction and I'm sick of the Canucks not having a cup. It's been 50 years... perhaps we can give this method a chance? Cancel all negative BS.

So next time fans watching the game, talking about the team, or hopefully at games... i hope they just do themselves a favour and not nag about the team... try and focus on wow this guy just made a great play or something like that ... . Just try and have a good time. If you're really upset just turn it off and go outside - get some air.

(this is directed at all Canucks nation, not singling you out oldnews... again you're one of the warriors that i've seen fend off trolls by slapping em with stats... That Myers one was epic)

In any successful company if you went around trolling and bashing your Director of Sales for example after he closed record sales #'s and his 2

• Like 1