The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lord Benning is taking us to the moon.

Rate this topic

apollo

16 minutes ago, apollo said:

All good I did get a chuckle out of the gifs... funnier the longer u look at them haha

Glad to know you're still generally on my side... you are a true warrior and fight the good fight... I wasn't really mad at you or anything :P

As for the ban hammer stuff I know it's outlandish to suggest for a sports team but please here me out,

If this was a company the President would step in and mute employees(fans/trolls in this case) if they are causing chaos and spreading propaganda against the company's Sales Manager(Jim in this case)... given the Sales Manager (Jim) has saved our franchise from being arguably the worst drafting team to the best.

I'm all for fans having opinions and free speech... as long as those fans/customers aren't impeding a teams chance for success by constantly crapping on the team constantly. When trolls spread nonsense it just causes unrest in the fan base and given the day and age we live in, with social media, this unrest boils over into those social media outlets and it just intensifies. If this was happening in your company wouldn't you stop it?

The negative portion of our fan base are under Canucks related depression and they aren't aware - something I know very well myself as it's affected me over the years. The depression this market has gone through is a direct result of everything that's happened to our team... and it has just snowballed after 2004 and for some reason far too many fans just expect the worse or expect us to have misfortune... when they can't see the pile of gold that Jim has amassed in front of them ...

Vancouver BC is the most prominent city/province in the NHL that only has 1 major sports team... The entire province of BC and the MILLIONS that have defected over the years are all heavily attached... this is not to mention the glorious fans we have from all across the globe who weren't from BC but just took a liking to the Canucks.

Same thing has happened in Taranna but idc about them I want to help us. It's not abnormal for Canucks die hards to have turned so sour over the years to they point that they've developed OCD on hating on specific players / management... and sickeningly spewing that nonsense on a daily basis to fulfill this OCD which makes them feel better...

I would say world wide Tarrana and Vancouver are #1 and #2 in terms of numbers... with our fans having more energy focused towards the hockey team since we don't have 2 other major teams. It's the main obsession of our fan base and therefor our collective energy is stronger.

Nonsense attracts more nonsense - these are laws of attraction. Listen I don't care about people thinking they have free right to have opinions - I'm confident in the laws of attraction and I'm sick of the Canucks not having a cup. It's been 50 years... perhaps we can give this method a chance? Cancel all negative BS.

So next time fans watching the game, talking about the team, or hopefully at games... i hope they just do themselves a favour and not nag about the team... try and focus on wow this guy just made a great play or something like that ... . Just try and have a good time. If you're really upset just turn it off and go outside - get some air.

(this is directed at all Canucks nation, not singling you out oldnews... again you're one of the warriors that i've seen fend off trolls by slapping em with stats... That Myers one was epic)

In any successful company if you went around trolling and bashing your Director of Sales for example after he closed record sales #'s and his 2

Love your enthusiasm Apollo! The board needs more people like you to balance out the negativity.

However, the Canucks are in the entertainment business so you can’t compare the responsibilities of the consumer to an employee. That’s like saying people leaving a theatre can’t  criticize the movie. As consumers of a product people have every right to voice their opinions. Are there a lot of whiners and complainers? Yes. Do some have JB Derangement Syndrome? Probably.  

The thing is if someone really isn’t  satisfied with the Aquilini or JB or Green or the systems or whatever then no amount of explanation, stats, or reasoning will change their feelings of dissatisfaction. Statistics don’t change feelings.  I give full credit to posters on here that will engage tirelessly in long back and forths with negative posters. I don’t have that kind of stamina. 

At the end of the day you hope that if someone whines and complains endlessly and won’t shut up so you can enjoy the movie that they’ll leave and go to a different theatre.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, apollo said:

All good I did get a chuckle out of the gifs... funnier the longer u look at them haha

Glad to know you're still generally on my side... you are a true warrior and fight the good fight... I wasn't really mad at you or anything :P

As for the ban hammer stuff I know it's outlandish to suggest for a sports team but please here me out,

If this was a company the President would step in and mute employees(fans/trolls in this case) if they are causing chaos and spreading propaganda against the company's Sales Manager(Jim in this case)... given the Sales Manager (Jim) has saved our franchise from being arguably the worst drafting team to the best.

I'm all for fans having opinions and free speech... as long as those fans/customers aren't impeding a teams chance for success by constantly crapping on the team constantly. When trolls spread nonsense it just causes unrest in the fan base and given the day and age we live in, with social media, this unrest boils over into those social media outlets and it just intensifies. If this was happening in your company wouldn't you stop it?

The negative portion of our fan base are under Canucks related depression and they aren't aware - something I know very well myself as it's affected me over the years. The depression this market has gone through is a direct result of everything that's happened to our team... and it has just snowballed after 2004 and for some reason far too many fans just expect the worse or expect us to have misfortune... when they can't see the pile of gold that Jim has amassed in front of them ...

Vancouver BC is the most prominent city/province in the NHL that only has 1 major sports team... The entire province of BC and the MILLIONS that have defected over the years are all heavily attached... this is not to mention the glorious fans we have from all across the globe who weren't from BC but just took a liking to the Canucks.

Same thing has happened in Taranna but idc about them I want to help us. It's not abnormal for Canucks die hards to have turned so sour over the years to they point that they've developed OCD on hating on specific players / management... and sickeningly spewing that nonsense on a daily basis to fulfill this OCD which makes them feel better...

I would say world wide Tarrana and Vancouver are #1 and #2 in terms of numbers... with our fans having more energy focused towards the hockey team since we don't have 2 other major teams. It's the main obsession of our fan base and therefor our collective energy is stronger.

Nonsense attracts more nonsense - these are laws of attraction. Listen I don't care about people thinking they have free right to have opinions - I'm confident in the laws of attraction and I'm sick of the Canucks not having a cup. It's been 50 years... perhaps we can give this method a chance? Cancel all negative BS.

So next time fans watching the game, talking about the team, or hopefully at games... i hope they just do themselves a favour and not nag about the team... try and focus on wow this guy just made a great play or something like that ... . Just try and have a good time. If you're really upset just turn it off and go outside - get some air.

(this is directed at all Canucks nation, not singling you out oldnews... again you're one of the warriors that i've seen fend off trolls by slapping em with stats... That Myers one was epic)

In any successful company if you went around trolling and bashing your Director of Sales for example after he closed record sales #'s and his 2

Meh.  Still disagree with you on this.  You can't  police negativity, criticism, dissent. 

And more to the point - these are not 'employees' - that analogy doesn't work - they are fans = customers = consumers of the product.  They're not required to approve.

Imo - just provide counterpoints.  You may be over the top, but I find it entertaining - and you focus on the critical aspects of rethinging a franchise - drafting, player development.  Everything matters, really, but those are the fundamentals that can enable you to build a long game - a team that can compete over the longer term - and sustain that competitiveness with talented youth that can ease cap tightness as the quality of your higher end players command the contracts they earn.   That in large part is why I am not in favour of tankdown/teardowns - which tend to produce bottlenecks and particular windows - I prefer the protracted, measured build with a relatively continuous stream of prospects.  As the team has evidenced, you don't neeed 'stockpiles' to produce that effect - you need to draft consistently, however, year after year - and maintain that as a/the focal point of your franchise.  Otherwise, if you're failing in that respect you can wind up in a situation like Toronto - 40+ million on a pair of lottery centers, a 4th overall winger, and another winger - while having one player in your lineup selected outside the top 10....(a borderline NHL asset imo = Travis Dermott).

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Love your enthusiasm Apollo! The board needs more people like you to balance out the negativity.

However, the Canucks are in the entertainment business so you can’t compare the responsibilities of the consumer to an employee. That’s like saying people leaving a theatre can’t  criticize the movie. As consumers of a product people have every right to voice their opinions. Are there a lot of whiners and complainers? Yes. Do some have JB Derangement Syndrome? Probably.  

The thing is if someone really isn’t  satisfied with the Aquilini or JB or Green or the systems or whatever then no amount of explanation, stats, or reasoning will change their feelings of dissatisfaction. Statistics don’t change feelings.  I give full credit to posters on here that will engage tirelessly in long back and forths with negative posters. I don’t have that kind of stamina. 

At the end of the day you hope that if someone whines and complains endlessly and won’t shut up so you can enjoy the movie that they’ll leave and go to a different theatre.

The ignore option also works great.   Decided to use it on one obvious troll recently, and the entire tone went back to more or less what the CDC has been like for me at least during JB era.   Don't want to mute anyone - and after a modest amount of back and forth decided it wasn't worth the effort - surprised a full ban hasn't occurred yet, problem with that though is, until there is zero food for folks like that  (as in replying or just enabling with a good old "thumbs up") - a ban probably just means a new account pops up.   Pretty sure the CDC has an element of duplicate posters - one troll just feeding himself for some inane recognition thing....

Apollo IMO, deserves his own emoji like Vintage and his red light.  He's right in the fact enthusiasm is contagious, just like hateful spew is.     As a social experiment - i dare anyone here next time they are at the rink - to just start cheering as loud as you can.    100% of the time - 100% (i used to do this at every game when i was younger) the crowd around you will join in.   And if you keep it up long enough, 20,000k or so fans will join in and you can hear the cheering circling back which is a joyful experience....You can't tell me that wouldn't give you chills if you were  player on the Canucks getting ready for their next shift.   Point is as a fan - there is a certain responsibility in how you represent your team - and for sure all the little things add up and make a positive (cheering) and negative (riot kill hate) vibe.   "Everyone Hates Us We Don't Care" is the stupidest lamest victim BS ive ever heard from any fanbase... shameful...   Apollo  and others shouldn't ever have to apologize for anything as far as fandom goes. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

I had a nightmare last night that Benning Traded Hughes. I was searching for it on twitter in my dream.

My worst nightmare in a long time. :blink:

Never been on twatter.   Seems like a silly way just to blow your own horn more then anything.   So i'm having daymare's reading this.   Didn't even know i was on social media until my kids pointed out my obsession for this site .... ugh.   Ignorance can for sure be bliss. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Never been on twatter.   Seems like a silly way just to blow your own horn more then anything.   So i'm having daymare's reading this.   Didn't even know i was on social media until my kids pointed out my obsession for this site .... ugh.   Ignorance can for sure be bliss. 

Ha! & a ditto, from this corner of the world..very relatable

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

I just take a look at the Canucks and NHL twitter. Also some non toxic media for information if I'm not able to follow the team sometimes.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Flipper said:

Finally a decent conversation worth commenting on.

I’ve been cheering for this team since I was a kid in the 70’s; lots of trials and frustrations mixed with the occasional great run but I continue to support them because it’s my team. I watch every game I can, no matter how frustrating it can be, even with heightened expectations such as we have after last years run. Which to some degree also set us up for the disappointment of this year. But I’d rather have missed expectations then no expectations at all, which is what many years have brought. 

My point is, in all my years of following the Nux, this is by far the most talented group of kids I’ve ever seen. There is so much anticipation of what we’ll look like in a couple more years as they mature. In the next couple of years this team will be elite; as long as they don’t allow themselves to blow it up trying to rush the process or placate the fan base that really has to let go of the expectation that comes with the need for immediate gratification. 

Sure it’s been a few more years then we would have liked but building a true contender in the cap world, hindered by a global pandemic, takes time and patience. Over the next two years a few bad contracts (which are mistakes anyone makes in a job where hindsight is 20/20) will fall away and the team can surround the core with a supporting cast that will take them over the top. 

Remember this core is rookies and kids, they need time to gel and grow. But I’ve never seen a more talented group that wants to win more, at this stage of development. We’ve had good players and exciting teams we could get behind but never a core group that includes all positions on the ice, at this early stage of their careers. 

Give them and the team a couple years of stability and a chance and we’ll be rewarded. 

I remembered when Canucks fans were excited year after year over one player who was going to help the Canucks.

Cody Hodgson, Jordan Schroeder, Kassian, Brendan Gaunce, Josh Holden, Hunter Shinkaruk and so on.

Now, there are so many young players drafted by the Canucks who will form the core to be a SC contender for years.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, apollo said:

1577541216_NewProject.thumb.jpg.b09c5e656d483ef5de6e20a738193ca6.jpg

Hoge all day! Hoge all night!:towel:

Even before this season began, I think it was clear to the millions that Mr Jim :goat: Benning was already the land slide draft god of the NHL... but come on... did he really do it again?! Is this real? Are you kidding me?!

It wasn't enough that he somehow managed to win the 2017 draft after the "lottery system" slid us down to 5th overall...

Fast forward a year... 2018 draft after the "lottery" slid us down to 7th overall this time... Jim said he doesn't care! Slide me down 3 spots I LIKE IT!

But to somehow pull 2019 out of the hat too?!  It's a little early but I'm confident in what I've seen and Mr Jim Benning's outlook. Hughes Kakko Dach have played more games but none seem to have a higher ceiling to me than Hogz... none are as "electrifying"... Also those guys went 1st 2nd 3rd... the fact that the king drafted Hogz 40th... unreal.

For all we know Hogz and Podz could be best two players of this draft. Wouldn't surprise me. Whatever Jim touches turns into gold.

I didn't even mention when he stole epitome of character and skill at 23rd overall in 2015... simply put this franchise has never had a bonafide star who gives back as much as Brocky does. He's one of those star athletes that realizes the power he can have in people's lives... such a kind loving guy... the world needs more Brock Boeser's.

Anyways... I could go on for days and days about all the positive things that Jim has done during his tenure... but that's not my goal. My goal is to see this fan base unified as one and supporting the team and being grateful for the plethora of young talent we have. This would include stopping all negative thoughts... no one cares that you negotiate better contracts when you play NHL on XBOX... Everyone is allowed mistakes in a job... being OCD and focusing on garbage like that does nothing but harm your own mental well being in the long term.

I urge you Canucks nation... watch the games and just be happy. Stop the nonsense, stop bashing our own players, coaches, GM... if someone is to be traded Jim will handle it. You don't have to trash on a player or GM. It does nothing but multiply toxicity in your own life.

Disclaimer: I understand this only applies to 10-20% of our fan base which are brainwashed into thinking toxic thoughts - but sadly this 10-20% makes too much noise. If you have friends that are in this category please try and get them to change their tune... we need all hands on deck for unification

We were 1 good period away from playing in the West Final last year... this group will take us there again. United we are stronger. BELIEVE Jim's process. He's taking us to the moon!

Anyways, I'm off to hoge the rest of the day, and obviously all night! Hoge hoge ! :lol:

Dude, seriously, lots of people just aren't that bright here, forward looking will just make them angry, we want it all and we want it NOW! sell the farm, a one trick pony will do, don't build anything, that takes too long to have something that lasts in the long run.

And people wonder why we don't have a cup. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

If I'm honest I never thought Demko would reach this level this season and I suspect neiither did managment or wwhy would they have spent $4 mill on Holtby. You have to give it to Demko he seems to have buckled down and has made big strides with his game. The guy that has the biggest smile is JB