The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last three drafts by every NHL team

Rate this topic

Source:

u9fh0mjfatl61.png

I want to re-iterate, not my picture. The format/arrangement is pretty weird.

Minnesota did a really good job drafting, along with Montreal, and the Ducks. Vancouver did a very good job too (with the limited picks it had).

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 2

On 3/8/2021 at 4:36 PM, canucklehead44 said:

This is terrible given we have been a rebuilding team for the last 8 years and are still near the bottom of the standings

Some people refuse to believe this, but Benning's predecessor played a factor into how slow this process was. Most other teams had some kind of transition period.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Some people refuse to believe this, but Benning's predecessor played a factor into how slow this process was. Most other teams had some kind of transition period.

Not really.. There are some difficulties with no trade clauses but we got good return for Luongo, Kesler, Garrison, Hansen, Burrows etc so it didn't really hamper us. 

Benning traded away a tonne of picks, two second round picks for Vey & Baertschi, 3rd for Pedan, downgraded 2nd round pick for Sutter (when Bonino was the better and cheaper player), added a 5th with Kassian for Prust (who was washed up and overpaid), 5th for Larson, 2nd round pick for Gudbranson (along with McCann), failed to get a pick for Dan Hamhuis. Then made horrific signings in Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, Holtby.

In short he has made horrible signings, a number of bad trades, and failed to gather picks and move up in the draft over a rebuild (in total we had less picks and lower picks than what we would have originally been allotted). 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Not really.. There are some difficulties with no trade clauses but we got good return for Luongo, Kesler, Garrison, Hansen, Burrows etc so it didn't really hamper us. 

Benning traded away a tonne of picks, two second round picks for Vey & Baertschi, 3rd for Pedan, downgraded 2nd round pick for Sutter (when Bonino was the better and cheaper player), added a 5th with Kassian for Prust (who was washed up and overpaid), 5th for Larson, 2nd round pick for Gudbranson (along with McCann), failed to get a pick for Dan Hamhuis. Then made horrific signings in Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, Holtby.

In short he has made horrible signings, a number of bad trades, and failed to gather picks and move up in the draft over a rebuild (in total we had less picks and lower picks than what we would have originally been allotted). 

I think your definition of "a ton" and reality don't quite line up.   Failed to mention the picks coming in for one thing, and excluded the Miller trade.  

All that really matters is what he managed given the sh!tshow he took over.   Overall believe we are one pick shy of a full compliment - and have Miller, Sutter and Pearson to show for it.  

If your going to show just one side of things - your going to look pretty biased.   Show the other side too (like the picks we gained and the players we still have to show for it). 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

According to the Benning aficionados, this team was apparently set back years under Gillis.  Yet, when asked about the job at hand in 2014, Benning himself said - and I am paraphrasing - that the job could be a 2 year turnaround.

Makes you wonder...

• RoughGame 1

23 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

According to the Benning aficionados, this team was apparently set back years under Gillis.  Yet, when asked about the job at hand in 2014, Benning himself said - and I am paraphrasing - that the job could be a 2 year turnaround.

Makes you wonder...

2014... its 2021 now. Using Gillis as an excuse is asinine. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think your definition of "a ton" and reality don't quite line up.   Failed to mention the picks coming in for one thing, and excluded the Miller trade.  

All that really matters is what he managed given the sh!tshow he took over.   Overall believe we are one pick shy of a full compliment - and have Miller, Sutter and Pearson to show for it.  

If your going to show just one side of things - your going to look pretty biased.   Show the other side too (like the picks we gained and the players we still have to show for it). 

Actually before we made the Toffoli and Miller trades we had still given up or downgraded more picks than acquired so thank you. 2nd round pick and top 5 prospect for 17 games of Toffoli. He hit a home run on Miller I just hope we make the playoffs again before his contract is up - and the Schmidt trade was great. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yep, that's my point.

After reading Gillis' GM proposal I would have love to see what he would have done in a rebuild situation. He was on the right track picking up the Utica Comets, hiring Judd Brackett, and acquiring Horvat. In 2014 he said he would have drafted Dylan Larkin so who knows - with top 10 picks and a focus on acquiring picks + Brackett at the helm, and control of our development we would have likely seen a huge turnaround in drafting but who knows. 

Just looking at this - and knowing we spent to the cap during all of Benning's years, plus that 1 playoff appearance is a bit of an asterisk (we would have missed if not for COVID), don't know how anyone can really support Benning anymore. 

Look at the Rangers - they had some very bad contracts and were a good team for a long stretch. Missed the playoffs only two years yet managed to pick up 8 first round picks over the last four drafts. They will be cleared mostly of bad contracts next year with the exception of Trouba (could still be tradeable) and DeAngelo (one year remaining and well worth it for what he brings on the ice - may be moveable as well). Also 5th for most cap space.  

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.05.56 PM.png

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Actually before we made the Toffoli and Miller trades we had still given up or downgraded more picks than acquired so thank you. 2nd round pick and top 5 prospect for 17 games of Toffoli. He hit a home run on Miller I just hope we make the playoffs again before his contract is up - and the Schmidt trade was great. 

Agreed.   If we don't make the playoffs next year .... without some sort of ridiculous injury issues ... i'm going to be seriously disappointed.   LA, ANA (re-tool, full rebuild) SJ (re-tool pergatory...hard to tell with them but below average for sure) - will be a lot easier to gain ground against - plus we do alright against the Central too... even with the team remaining relatively flat again next year - i'm expecting better results given the quality of competition and because it's obvious to me at least - the existing coaching staff (good or bad) has got the team playing a lot better after our crap start.   

This is hockey and who really knows how it will play out - luck for sure is also a factor both in game play and drafting.   Have to be good to be lucky - for sure in the macro view - which is the one i like the most about this team from top to bottom including management and the coaching staff.