Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last three drafts by every NHL team

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

After reading Gillis' GM proposal I would have love to see what he would have done in a rebuild situation. He was on the right track picking up the Utica Comets, hiring Judd Brackett, and acquiring Horvat. In 2014 he said he would have drafted Dylan Larkin so who knows - with top 10 picks and a focus on acquiring picks + Brackett at the helm, and control of our development we would have likely seen a huge turnaround in drafting but who knows. 

Just looking at this - and knowing we spent to the cap during all of Benning's years, plus that 1 playoff appearance is a bit of an asterisk (we would have missed if not for COVID), don't know how anyone can really support Benning anymore. 

 

Look at the Rangers - they had some very bad contracts and were a good team for a long stretch. Missed the playoffs only two years yet managed to pick up 8 first round picks over the last four drafts. They will be cleared mostly of bad contracts next year with the exception of Trouba (could still be tradeable) and DeAngelo (one year remaining and well worth it for what he brings on the ice - may be moveable as well). Also 5th for most cap space.  
 

 

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.05.56 PM.png

Why would you show MG stuff when the team he had was almost entirely because of Burke and Nonis though?   And both Trouba and DeAngelo look awful....Kakko does too so far ... and Laffreniere hasn't looked good yet either (nice to have a second and then a first right?) .   NYR is a decent comp because they were so good during the 2010's, maybe five years behind our cycle and at least made a letter to their fans and said it was time to rebuild which i totally respect - but then why sign Panarin?  Also a mixed bag - just like JB,  just like Holland, just like Dorian (who went out and signed placeholders too...), Just like Chia-Pet, ... CAR has finally got it together ... time will tell with Yzerman.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

After reading Gillis' GM proposal I would have love to see what he would have done in a rebuild situation. He was on the right track picking up the Utica Comets, hiring Judd Brackett, and acquiring Horvat. In 2014 he said he would have drafted Dylan Larkin so who knows - with top 10 picks and a focus on acquiring picks + Brackett at the helm, and control of our development we would have likely seen a huge turnaround in drafting but who knows. 

Just looking at this - and knowing we spent to the cap during all of Benning's years, plus that 1 playoff appearance is a bit of an asterisk (we would have missed if not for COVID), don't know how anyone can really support Benning anymore. 

 

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.05.56 PM.png

From all accounts, Gillis saw the writing on the wall after the defeat to LA in 2012.  We know that Luongo was OTB almost immediately.  Later on, we found out that he wanted to move Edler at the 2013 draft before his new contract kicked in, and at some point between the 2012 playoffs and 2013 playoffs, Ryan Kesler had asked for a trade.  If not a rebuild, definitely seemed like a retool was something he wanted to engage in.  I believe he even used the word "reset" at one of his press conferences after the defeat to either the Kings or Sharks.

 

The drafting under Gillis was subpar so no guarantee the rebuild would have been great but had he been around for the 2014 draft to take Larkin over Virtanen, that certainly would have been a much better pick than how it turned out for us.  In any event, it's all hypothetical. 

 

As for the support for Benning, it's really anybody's guess as to why it exists.  Perhaps some of the fans in this market have accepted mediocrity and think a decade to turn things around is normal?  Maybe they believe Francesco Aquilini when he says that he trusts Jim Benning and feel the need to also trust Benning? It's weird to me that one of the worst GMs this team has ever had (from a statistical standpoint, anyway) still has so much support but maybe there's more I'm missing.  There must be.

  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To those saying we should have had more picks, there's only so many players that make it to the big leagues from the draft. Only a small percentage play any significant amount of NHL games. More picks doesn't mean more good players, it just increases your odds of finding them. The fact that we have had "limited" picks and are seeing results with a much more promising prospect pool just means the drafting (and development) strategy here is working.

 

There are several teams on that list that had more picks with less results, so who cares how many picks we have had if we are making the ones we have count?

 

Edit: Just realized this is showing only the first 2 rounds of the draft, which ignores the body of work in the rest of the drafts.

Edited by theo5789
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

To those saying we should have had more picks, there's only so many players that make it to the big leagues from the draft. Only a small percentage play any significant amount of NHL games. More picks doesn't mean more good players, it just increases your odds of finding them. The fact that we have had "limited" picks and are seeing results with a much more promising prospect pool just means the drafting (and development) strategy here is working.

 

There are several teams on that list that had more picks with less results, so who cares how many picks we have had if we are making the ones we have count?

Exactly!

 

The important thing is hitting on the picks you do have and I would say Benning is doing quite well in that regard.

 

Look back at all those teams who Canucks fans were jealous of having 3 first or second rounders from trade deadline deals. How many of those picks actually panned out?

 

Or when the media were hyping the Leafs masterful rebuild when they were acquiring puck after pick. Let’s have a look:

 

2015 NHL draft (Two 2nds, Two 3rds)


Pick 34 - Dermott

Pick 61 - Bracco

Pick 65 - Nielsen

Pick 68 - Dzierkals

 

4 picks and one overrated top 6 D man to show for it.

 

2016 NHL draft (Two 2nds, Two 3rds)

 

Pick 31 - Korshkov

Pick 57 - Grundstrom

Pick 62 - Woll

Pick 72 - Greenway

 

4 picks and not one NHLer to show for it.

 

And then of course there’s Calgary’s extra two firsts in 2013 (Poierer, Klimchuk) or Boston’s 6 picks in the first two rounds in 2015 (Zboril, Debrusk, Senyshyn, Carlo, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Lauzon)

 

Just goes to show simply acquiring 2nd and 3rd round picks isn’t always the best way to accomplish a rebuild.

 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to say that, while I think it's too early to tell with anything at thing point, it's nice to see more of the overall picture with all the teams than just focusing on our own. It just gives a bigger understanding of the overall picture: something that gets ignored more often than not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 10:08 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Look at the Rangers - they had some very bad contracts and were a good team for a long stretch. Missed the playoffs only two years yet managed to pick up 8 first round picks over the last four drafts. They will be cleared mostly of bad contracts next year with the exception of Trouba (could still be tradeable) and DeAngelo (one year remaining and well worth it for what he brings on the ice - may be moveable as well). Also 5th for most cap space.  
 

 

While the Rangers organization did the smart thing and start the rebuild as early as they could there's no doubt the Rangers had a ton of luck on their side during their rebuild. They moved up the draft lottery by getting the #1 and #2 overall and it seems they have no problem signing free agents (veterans or prospects) how good or bad the team is.  It's a luxury most teams do not have which includes The Canucks. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2021 at 1:40 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

According to the Benning aficionados, this team was apparently set back years under Gillis.  Yet, when asked about the job at hand in 2014, Benning himself said - and I am paraphrasing - that the job could be a 2 year turnaround.

 

Makes you wonder...

When you consider that the MO at the time was to give the core with the Sedins one last kick in the can, yes, that makes sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 2:59 PM, Zhukini said:

Montreal really impresses me here, Romanov in the 2nd is terrifying. Don't check out who had the pick previous 

Höglander in the second is great as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 2:28 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

From all accounts, Gillis saw the writing on the wall after the defeat to LA in 2012.  We know that Luongo was OTB almost immediately.  Later on, we found out that he wanted to move Edler at the 2013 draft before his new contract kicked in, and at some point between the 2012 playoffs and 2013 playoffs, Ryan Kesler had asked for a trade.  If not a rebuild, definitely seemed like a retool was something he wanted to engage in.  I believe he even used the word "reset" at one of his press conferences after the defeat to either the Kings or Sharks.

 

The drafting under Gillis was subpar so no guarantee the rebuild would have been great but had he been around for the 2014 draft to take Larkin over Virtanen, that certainly would have been a much better pick than how it turned out for us.  In any event, it's all hypothetical. 

 

As for the support for Benning, it's really anybody's guess as to why it exists.  Perhaps some of the fans in this market have accepted mediocrity and think a decade to turn things around is normal?  Maybe they believe Francesco Aquilini when he says that he trusts Jim Benning and feel the need to also trust Benning? It's weird to me that one of the worst GMs this team has ever had (from a statistical standpoint, anyway) still has so much support but maybe there's more I'm missing.  There must be.

The reason jb has support  is the drafting. Also, when the cupboards are bare, you end up having to sign ufas like beagle rooster . 

Player agents know they have you in a position with no options.

Not sure I'm the smarest hockey guy out there but I knew the LE signing was going to be bad. That signing downgrades him from decent gm to average. 

Le   rooster and beagle contracts are here till the end of next year so we had better be a little more patient because we're not getting anything for those three.  Beagle and sutter are still useful at least.  

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 8:16 AM, Bitter Melon said:

When you consider that the MO at the time was to give the core with the Sedins one last kick in the can, yes, that makes sense. 

Alain Vigneault is really MG (loves defending MGs' regime) and a JB hater - JB can do nothing right and the only solution is to re hire Gillis.  Too one sided in the commentary with some good criticism - using hindsight..

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 2:31 PM, Me_ said:

Höglander in the second is great as well!

Yeah, Woo is still progressing.  Unlike, the Canucks, I've noticed the Habs were more willing to play & showcase there prospects during the lossing years while trading away the vets for maximum value; this transistion strategy seems to be a big reason why Romanov is in the NHL alot quicker, perhaps Bergevin has learned from his Sergachev trade to never trade an unknown prospect without trying the prospect first in the NHL level.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2021 at 11:14 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Not really.. There are some difficulties with no trade clauses but we got good return for Luongo, Kesler, Garrison, Hansen, Burrows etc so it didn't really hamper us. 

Benning traded away a tonne of picks, two second round picks for Vey & Baertschi, 3rd for Pedan, downgraded 2nd round pick for Sutter (when Bonino was the better and cheaper player), added a 5th with Kassian for Prust (who was washed up and overpaid), 5th for Larson, 2nd round pick for Gudbranson (along with McCann), failed to get a pick for Dan Hamhuis. Then made horrific signings in Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, Holtby.

 

In short he has made horrible signings, a number of bad trades, and failed to gather picks and move up in the draft over a rebuild (in total we had less picks and lower picks than what we would have originally been allotted). 
 

Baertschi trade looks so bad now. Never liked it at the time either. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 12:18 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll put Hughes, Podkolzin and Hoglander up against any of the other teams top 3 picks any day of the week...

Interesting take....I'd do a Sens trade easy.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...