The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL proposed changes to draft lottery

Rate this topic

Hmm should have implanted this earlier when the Coilers were drafting first overalls like nothing.. 

I applaud this move as with the addition of another team (Seattle) it is going to get more competitive for that coveted first overall.. 

• Hydration 2

Of course they'd consider these things now that we shouldn't be basement dwellers, better late than never though I suppose 

Even two lottery wins within a five year period sounds like too much to me though 

• Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Of course they'd consider these things now that we shouldn't be basement dwellers, better late than never though I suppose 

Even two lottery wins within a five year period sounds like too much to me though 

it still leaves the option open to tank two years in a row. Not sure these rules really deter tanking on purpose, but I suppose they are a bit fairer. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it still leaves the option open to tank two years in a row. Not sure these rules really deter tanking on purpose, but I suppose they are a bit fairer. 

They help the teams that likely need help the most, but I'd rather it be one lottery win every five years 

You can still get solid players in the top ten, but two top two picks in five years sounds like a bit much to me 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They help the teams that likely need help the most, but I'd rather it be one lottery win every five years 

You can still get solid players in the top ten, but two top two picks in five years sounds like a bit much to me 

well, at least its not a guaranteed 1st like it was in the old days. 

Only being able to jump 10 spots is a slight improvement, maybe should have been 7? there's no way teams in the 12-16 spots should be picking 1st oa so that's a good change. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah but some teams are just that bad and a rookie won't always jump into a lineup... and sometimes teams that actually need a real game changer end up with a Yakupov. I'm OK with 2

20 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

The lottery should be completely scrapped.

I'm torn over this. I agree in a way. But at the same time you don't want teams tanking on purpose. 

One of those things it shouldn't need to come having to institute a draft lottery. 

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm torn over this. I agree in a way. But at the same time you don't want teams tanking on purpose. 

One of those things it shouldn't need to come having to institute a draft lottery. 

Reverse order of bottom 10 teams. 

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's a start and I agree 10 moves up is too much. Still drives me nuts how a team like the Stars just missed the playoffs and wins the lottery ball and drafts Heiskinan. I believe Philly had the same luck but didn't get as lucky with Patrick. Five moves up is enough for my liking. 

They can change the rules the year after we benefit from it.

If we miss the playoffs this season, we win the lottery, get a top 3 pick and next year they change it. I'm happy.

Let's add our own version of Heiskanen in 2021 draft and win 5 cups.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Yeah but some teams are just that bad and a rookie won't always jump into a lineup... and sometimes teams that actually need a real game changer end up with a Yakupov. I'm OK with 2

That's a fair argument, two max.

Not sure I agree with it though, it's on teams to make their top ten picks count while managing to get hits in the second round and beyond. We've seen teams grab top picks and go on to treat water regardless. Edmonton, Buffalo, and Jersey spring to mind. 

Top picks can turn a team's fortunes around, but typically you get the same group of teams jockeying for the bottom spots and they swing and miss. It's a tough thing, you don't want teams tanking but you don't want to be helping teams in no man's land/on the cusp on making the playoffs either. 

• Sedinery 1