Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL proposed changes to draft lottery

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Battlemonger said:

The lottery should be completely scrapped.

 

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm torn over this. I agree in a way. But at the same time you don't want teams tanking on purpose. 

One of those things it shouldn't need to come having to institute a draft lottery. 

 

38 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Reverse order of bottom 10 teams. 

 

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Snake draft?

I'm a big fan of locking all the GMs of lottery-eligible teams in a cage and letting the last-standing GM get the first overall pick, the last GM he beat getting the 2nd overall pick, and so-on and so-forth until all 15 or 16 spots are filled.

 

Gotta make them work for it, you know.  :gocan:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone said 7 instead of ten, others say 5 

 

I say............UMmmmmmm

 

8

Can still have the last man out contest and double snake it

 

My money is on Hextall

 

But, in truth 2 top 5 picks every 5 years

 

If you end up with 1, 2, 6, 6, 6...............you are still going to have a great core, if you pick well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Snake draft?

Sort of, I think separate the first 10 picks into its own draft section and reward teams that are close to competing for the playoffs. 
 

23rd team in standings gets 1st overall

24th 2nd overall

25th 3rd 

26th 4th 

27th 5th

28th 6th

29th 7th

30th 8th

31st 9th

32nd 10th

 

then the rest of the first round would be normal

 

22nd team in standings gets 11th

21st 12th

20th 13th

19th 14th

18th 15th

17th 16th

 

then playoff bound teams get picks by round they go out 

 

8 teams out in first round get picks 17- 24 in reverse order of reg season points. 
 

same for second round teams eliminated but picks 25 - 28

 

same for third round picks 29-30

 

SCF loser 31

SC winner 32

 

Then in round two and beyond the first 10 picks reverse and return to regular season points. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Or have a mini tournament with bottom 4 or 8 teams to determine pick 1 and 2.

 

How about the bottom 5 GM's have a 5 man Cage match, winner take all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davathor said:

 

How about the bottom 5 GM's have a 5 man Cage match, winner take all.

Only if they are greased up and wearing thongs 

  • Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Davathor said:

 

Would you settle for hosed down and full Kesler?

By George I think you’ve solved the draft problem! 

  • Sedinery 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still prefer the limited draft option...only the bottom 6 teams are eligible for #1, then the remaining 5 teams get tossed in with the next 2 in the standings to make the next 7 eligible for pick #2, then everyone that misses is in on #3. AND add the limit that no team can lotto a top 3 pick more than twice in any 5 year span and then you will have the MOST fair system to the bottom dwellers...but then again this is entertainment so Vince McBettman can pretty much do whatever he and the owners want anyways sooo...whatever...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Of course they'd consider these things now that we shouldn't be basement dwellers, better late than never though I suppose 

 

Even two lottery wins within a five year period sounds like too much to me though 

C'mon Coco, Nucks won't be a lotto team after this season anyways.  We're good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

The lottery should be completely scrapped.

1983-84 Pittsburgh Penguins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what to think about it.  Only two lottery spots means there is less chance of being pushed back spots when we inevitably have a hot streak and finish 7th worst in the league instead of bottom 3.

It would have been nicer to win a lottery before they nerf the odds though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rather do away with it and have the draft pre built each year to give a fair overall positioning. Only downside would be it would take 32 years per full cycle which is probably to much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

C'mon Coco, Nucks won't be a lotto team after this season anyways.  We're good.

We definitely shouldn't be, would have been nice to have seen rules like this while we were supposed to be bottom feeders though 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aladeen said:

Or have a mini tournament with bottom 4 or 8 teams to determine pick 1 and 2.

You play to win for the cup. Teams aren't going to want to risk their star players getting hurt in what is essentially a meaningless tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aladeen said:

Sort of, I think separate the first 10 picks into its own draft section and reward teams that are close to competing for the playoffs. 
 

23rd team in standings gets 1st overall

24th 2nd overall

25th 3rd 

26th 4th 

27th 5th

28th 6th

29th 7th

30th 8th

31st 9th

32nd 10th

 

then the rest of the first round would be normal

 

22nd team in standings gets 11th

21st 12th

20th 13th

19th 14th

18th 15th

17th 16th

 

then playoff bound teams get picks by round they go out 

 

8 teams out in first round get picks 17- 24 in reverse order of reg season points. 
 

same for second round teams eliminated but picks 25 - 28

 

same for third round picks 29-30

 

SCF loser 31

SC winner 32

 

Then in round two and beyond the first 10 picks reverse and return to regular season points. 

no way, this is really bad. bottom 3 or 4 teams are likely to stay there for longer and may have a hard time breaking out of the basement. this is the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. and the top teams can orchistrate there rebuilds, allowing them to have shorter rebuilds.

 

this proposal kind of reminds me of how broken our capitalist society is, considering how similar they function.

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

no way, this is really bad. bottom 3 or 4 teams are likely to stay there for longer and may have a hard time breaking out of the basement. this is the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. and the top teams can orchistrate there rebuilds, allowing them to have shorter rebuilds.

 

this proposal kind of reminds me of how broken our capitalist society is, considering how similar they function.

Yah cause the old system was working so well right? Tanking for 1st overall is worse than anything you have mentioned because it ruins the integrity of the game and is pathetic in general. If a team is close to a playoff spot a high draft pick can put them over the top to compete.

 

If perennial losers like Edmonton and Buffalo can't get it done with their multiple obvious tanks, that's on them, but in your opinion they should be rewarded for such incompetence over and over and over again until they somehow figure it out?

 

Absolutely ridiculous and if you think my proposal is how capitalism works, the old system of bailing out bottom feeding corporations is exactly how capitalist society works. Capitalism is just another word for corporate socialism, at least with my proposal those getting a hand out will have earned it. 

 

Also in what way is the rich getting richer the top pick is the 23rd team? Not exactly a powerhouse and it proves they didn't tank. They are not a top team.

 

What's really bad is a team like Edmonton getting 4 first overalls in the span of 6 years or 3 in a row - look at that and talk about a broken system. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...