The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We are actually far better than we think....

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

Im not riding so high after this win that im delusional. Has anyone stopped to consider the amount of Cap 

we have NOT on the ice vs. what is on the ice for the last two teams we have played? When you consider

that EP40 was not present (I know his cap hit is small but his salary potential is HUGE), you have to think 

about how well this team has been crafted. 

Im going to use Miller and Hawryluk as examples. Miller is getting hot again and stands to be in our top 5 

forwards in terms of production AGAIN. Without too much to go on in terms of scouting from a laymans 

perspective the management teams picks him up and now look at him not to mention his off ice value.

Then you look at Hawryluk and anyone with an eye for hockey can see he is going to be ANOTHER 

player like Miller, another workhorse, dog after a bone type with HUGE character imo. I always

notice when he is on the ice. 

All im saying is that when you consider the contracts, the injuries, Covid19 we have a pretty fycking amazing

management team. IF we somehow make the playoffs jayzus do they derserve ALOT of credit. 

If only we can go on a streak. Honestly reminds me of the Oakland A's in Moneyball.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Au contraire, with better management we could have used a lot of the dead cap in players that play. :bigblush:

Regarding Miller, he was a third line before in his previous team. Very good depth in Tampa though. 

Theres a huge lot of players in that category in NHL. I saw a fair few when I watched the play offs. Heavy players that can bomb through. Miller get a lot of free space when playing with Petey and Boeser. As you probably seen Petey is heavily guarded so the left side is easier to play at. Wich means a lot more points than if the oppo start guarding Miller the same. 

The Flames, under Ward, played exactly as The Canucks under Green. 

So you can switch almost the whole team and get the same result. 

1 hour ago, Shirotashi said:

Has anyone stopped to consider the amount of Cap 

we have NOT on the ice vs. what is on the ice for the last two teams we have played?

I think about this a lot as it’s one of the more troubling things about this roster. 

The Canucks have more cap space parked on their taxi squad (Eriksson) and buried in the minors (Baertschi) than any other team in the NHL.

I often wonder what this team could look like without the terrible contracts and dead money bringing down the on-ice roster quality.

1 hour ago, Shirotashi said:

Honestly reminds me of the Oakland A's in Moneyball.

Really? I’m not really looking to be critical here, but the current Canucks management strikes me as something closer to the opposite. This team is capped out and running with a roster that includes some pretty glaring market inefficiencies.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think about this a lot as it’s one of the more troubling things about this roster. 

The Canucks have more cap space parked on their taxi squad (Eriksson) and buried in the minors (Baertschi) than any other team in the NHL.

I often wonder what this team could look like without the terrible contracts and dead money bringing down the on-ice roster quality.

Really? I’m not really looking to be critical here, but the current Canucks management strikes me as something closer to the opposite. This team is capped out and running with a roster that includes some pretty glaring market inefficiencies.

Really??? You make all my points FOR me... we had alot of those issues last year and STILL won 2 rounds. Now we are in even worse with losing Marky and Tanev and Stech (like the A's losing key guys) and this year were like a bunch of upstarts beating  teams like MTL and TOR. 

I think your pessimistic you like so many others only ever see the glass as half empty. Look closer at what we are able to do with this roster. People shyt and p iss on this team and all the bad contracts etc and yet STILL we have a competitive club. I think there are LOTS of similarities.

I know 30 other teams would LOVE to have Jim Benning aboard with his drafting abilites. People only 

seem to want to remember his bad contracts, well name we 1 fycking GM that didnt sign some bad

contracts. Dubas has signed 4 (atleast) bad contracts, that only ever get mentioned when they are 

losing. 

FACT:  We have probably close to 10million in Cap space not on the ice and yet STILL We are 

competing and starting to win. Like the A's not spending anywhere near other teams and yet 

still being in the mix. 

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But at least our dead cap players are being replaced by competence, unlike Buffalo, who have Skinner and Okposo with 1 point each, for a $15m combined cap hit. Our cap problems are on the verge of going away as well, with younger prospects near ready to replace our bottom 6.

• Cheers 3

I know Green and JB have used the schedule as an excuse and it's hard to tell how important that is, but we're about to find out. Finally, we get some rest and training in and suddenly our players are all much better. Playing and learning on the fly has been hard for them, but most importantly, we're about 4-5 games ahead of every other divisional rival so let's see how they all play when they're condensing games in.

I've got a feeling they'll struggle, we already saw that against a Toronto team who have barely lost in regulation, came into Vancouver at the end of a back-to-back and lost 2 in a row.

What's worse is that these teams will be really fighting fatigue towards the end of the year so if JB and Green are right in their complaints, we should expect a big drop off for a lot of the teams.

• Cheers 4

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think we are better than we think too, not for this year necessarily but moving forward.

Our defensive play has turned the corner as of late, it's now better than last year imo. 

It's amazing how Myers/Schmidt has played. It's a night and day difference. None of the hiccups they've made earlier in the season. Hughes had one that was just unfortunate, but a hint of what things used to be... hopefully....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Schmidt has taken a while to get used to this team. But unlike Eriksson, he seems to be improving game after game. The same goes with Hamonic. (Didn't help he got injured)

Our prospects seem to be doing well so help is on the way. Juolevi should get more looks, but I understand it might be an expansion draft thing he doesn't get games in.

Hoglander may not have the greatest numbers, but he has a motor that won't quit. 

I'm assuming our UFA's have to sign deals that make sense or they walk. I would not be surprised if we get our prospects stepping in to fill in the holes. 

Next year:

- Baer is off the books. 

- Spooner is off the books.

Best of all Luongo, and Eriksson are off the books at the end of 2022. 

This season might be a write off, but things are looking better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Vancouver Canucks core roster age:

franchise centre:  22

franchise winger: 24

franchise captain: 25

franchise defenseman:21

franchise goalie: 25

The good: Canucks have franchise players in all key positions. It should be a fairly straight forward job to fill the roster with depth through drafting and other means.

The bad: Even if all the bad contracts are off the salary cap, the franchise players have to get paid. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Schmidt has taken a while to get used to this team. But unlike Eriksson, he seems to be improving game after game. The same goes with Hamonic. (Didn't help he got injured)

Our prospects seem to be doing well so help is on the way. Juolevi should get more looks, but I understand it might be an expansion draft thing he doesn't get games in.

Hoglander may not have the greatest numbers, but he has a motor that won't quit. 

I'm assuming our UFA's have to sign deals that make sense or they walk. I would not be surprised if we get our prospects stepping in to fill in the holes. 

Next year:

- Baer is off the books. 

Ghost, people talking about Juolevi not requiring protection for the expansion draft if he doesn't play a certain amount of games is simply not true. All players that have played more than 2 pro seasons in North America are eligible to be selected by Seattle if not protected. The CapFriendly list below is the list of players in the Vancouver organization that are exempt from the draft. Everyone else is fair game if left unprotected.

Where the number of games played comes into play is to meet the minimum requirements of players we MUST make available to Seattle. Right now for d-men made available to Seattle we must make either Myers or Scmidt available as they are the only 2 that meet the following requirement. Juolevi could join those 2 if he plays 12 more games. I suspect the Canucks do not want to lose any of these three and will either sign Benn or acquire another d-man to satisfy this requirement.

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

EXEMPT AGE POS CAP HIT EXPIRY
Höglander, Nils 20 LW $891,667 RFA (2023)
Lockwood, William 22 RW $842,500 RFA (2022)
Focht, Carson 21 C $821,667 RFA (2023)
Michaelis, Marc 25 LW $700,000 RFA (2021)
Rathbone, Jack 21 LD $925,000 RFA (2022)
Hughes, Quinn 21 LD $916,667 RFA (2021)
Woo, Jett 20 RD $860,833 RFA (2023)
Eliot, Mitch 23 RD $822,500 RFA (2021)
Tryamkin, Nikita 26 LD $0 RFA (2017)
DiPietro, Michael 21 G $811,667 RFA (2022)
Silovs, Arturs 19 G $788,889 RFA (2023)
Kielly, Jake 24 G $700,000 RFA (2021)

30 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Vancouver Canucks core roster age:

franchise centre:  22

franchise winger: 24

franchise captain: 25

franchise defenseman:21

franchise goalie: 25

The good: Canucks have franchise players in all key positions. It should be a fairly straight forward job to fill the roster with depth through drafting and other means.

The bad: Even if all the bad contracts are off the salary cap, the franchise players have to get paid. 

Boeser and Horvat already have been paid.  They will get some raises for sure, but the cap will be going up by that time.  I mean Horvat is already at 5.5, he may get 7? Boeser is close to 6, he may be 8?  Really only adding a few million to lock them up long term.  If they get much more than what I've stated, it's because they find another higher level, which is best case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Next year:

- Baer is off the books. 

Can't wait til' we get Pod in the line-up, That's what I'm probably looking forward to the most.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Really??? You make all my points FOR me... we had alot of those issues last year and STILL won 2 rounds. Now we are in even worse with losing Marky and Tanev and Stech (like the A's losing key guys) and this year were like a bunch of upstarts beating  teams like MTL and TOR. 

I think your pessimistic you like so many others only ever see the glass as half empty. Look closer at what we are able to do with this roster. People shyt and p iss on this team and all the bad contracts etc and yet STILL we have a competitive club. I think there are LOTS of similarities.

I know 30 other teams would LOVE to have Jim Benning aboard with his drafting abilites. People only 

seem to want to remember his bad contracts, well name we 1 fycking GM that didnt sign some bad

contracts. Dubas has signed 4 (atleast) bad contracts, that only ever get mentioned when they are 

losing. 

FACT:  We have probably close to 10million in Cap space not on the ice and yet STILL We are 

competing and starting to win. Like the A's not spending anywhere near other teams and yet 

still being in the mix. 

OK, so basically you’re saying it’s a strength of this team and its management that our wasted cap space forces us to ice a “small market” roster, while paying out an above upper limit cap hit (since LTIR actually has us over the cap)?

I’ll agree, to a point. It does speak to the strength of our young core players, that we can be somewhat competitive, while having so much salary parked off the active roster, and some pretty inefficient contracts on the active roster, as well.

If given the choice, however, wouldn’t you rather keep all our good young roster pieces, and surround them with the most efficient contracts possible, where the UFA dollars spent are actually maximizing the total strength of the on-ice roster?

I mean, to each their own, I suppose, but I don’t think it’s pessimistic to acknowledge there are some significant inefficiencies in how cap dollars are allocated on this roster.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrects
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Au contraire, with better management we could have used a lot of the dead cap in players that play. :bigblush:

Regarding Miller, he was a third line before in his previous team. Very good depth in Tampa though. 

Theres a huge lot of players in that category in NHL. I saw a fair few when I watched the play offs. Heavy players that can bomb through. Miller get a lot of free space when playing with Petey and Boeser. As you probably seen Petey is heavily guarded so the left side is easier to play at. Wich means a lot more points than if the oppo start guarding Miller the same. 

The Flames, under Ward, played exactly as The Canucks under Green. 

So you can switch almost the whole team and get the same result. 

Miller was a top 6 player in his last 2yrs playing for the Rangers (56pts and 58pts) if you include the 18 games he played for TB after the trade.  As you have stated, TB had great depth in their top 6 and decided to move JT to the 3rd, as he can play the 2-way game very well.

Miller is a similar player to O'Reilly, who is a team leader and a very difficult fellow to play against.  He is a key player on his team.  Like Ryan, JT is the one that often brings the puck into the o-zone, when everybody else fails.  He is great along the boards and manages to keep the puck in the zone.  His puck distribution is excellent.  Miller is a rugged, quick and smart player who is a key part of the top line.

I'm not sure why you are diminishing Miller's contribution by addressing Pete's physical struggles.  Perhaps it is bothering you that JT may become a C?  I wouldn't worry if I were you, as Pete is an elite player, who may very likely end up being a franchise player; probably as a 1C.

Yes, Pete is getting a lot of attention, but Boeser, on the other hand, is having his best year.  Brock is built differently and can withstand the hitting, holding, tripping, etc that the top line endures.  Pete will always be slight physically, but I believe he will end up being more like the Sedin body type, in the coming years.  The Sedins also took a lot of pounding when they were young, but were able to withstand it later on.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What's worse is that these teams will be really fighting fatigue towards the end of the year so if JB and Green are right in their complaints, we should expect a big drop off for a lot of the teams.

The thing is every game is in-division, so even if the teams ahead of us start playing worse, they're all still going to get points because they're playing each other and someone's gotta win.

Our best bet is for a couple teams to run away with the #1 and #2 spots, beating our competitors for the #3 and #4 spot. Ottawa beating those teams from time to time will help, as well, but they can't win too often otherwise they'll be in contention with us lol.

• Like 1