The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We are actually far better than we think....

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

39 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The thing is every game is in-division, so even if the teams ahead of us start playing worse, they're all still going to get points because they're playing each other and someone's gotta win.

Our best bet is for a couple teams to run away with the #1 and #2 spots, beating our competitors for the #3 and #4 spot. Ottawa beating those teams from time to time will help, as well, but they can't win too often otherwise they'll be in contention with us lol.

This is exactly it, I sort of hope Toronto and Edmonton run away and the middle group struggle. We need Calgary, Winnipeg and Montreal to keep losing against the other teams and just hope for as few 3 point games amongst them as possible.

Good news is we've still got 7 games against Ottawa...might be an easy 5-2 or 6-1 right there.

• Vintage 1

the team  constantly has good players on entry level contracts  with possibly podkolzin, lockwood woo mcdonagh, costmar, kunz, rathbone, jasek lind dipietro  utonen   playing in the bigs in next few yrs.  alot  of these guys are steals in 4th 5th 6th rounds like gaudette       teams like edmonton are lucky if a first overall turns out and past the first round their drafting is  trash. If a few more of these steals work out we winning cup in next 3-4 yrs 

• Cheers 1

consistency and growth seem to be the big issues with this team (and cap efficiency to be fair as well).  The few last weeks the team has played a lot better, and I think its more indicative of their potential.

I do like what JH brings though-I didnt see that kind of energy during camp so its kind of surprising.  Too bad Motte is out.  That 4th line could be buzzzing

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Miller was a top 6 player in his last 2yrs playing for the Rangers (56pts and 58pts) if you include the 18 games he played for TB after the trade.  As you have stated, TB had great depth in their top 6 and decided to move JT to the 3rd, as he can play the 2-way game very well.

Miller is a similar player to O'Reilly, who is a team leader and a very difficult fellow to play against.  He is a key player on his team.  Like Ryan, JT is the one that often brings the puck into the o-zone, when nobody else fails.  He is great along the boards and manages to keep the puck in the zone.  His puck distribution is excellent.  Miller is a rugged, quick and smart player who is a key part of the top line.

I'm not sure why you are diminishing Miller's contribution by addressing Pete's physical struggles.  Perhaps it is bothering you that JT may become a C?  I wouldn't worry if I were you, as Pete is an elite player, who may very likely end up being a franchise player; probably as a 1C.

Yes, Pete is getting a lot of attention, but Boeser, on the other hand, is having his best year.  Brock is built differently and can withstand the hitting, holding, tripping, etc that the top line endures.  Pete will always be slight physically, but I believe he will end up being more like the Sedin body type, in the coming years.  The Sedins also took a lot of pounding when they were young, but were able to withstand it later on.

Miller solidifying himself as a first line player ... like that hasn't happened a couple thousand times already in the history of the NHL, when a solid middle six guy gets his turn in the top six given his pedigree and work up until his prime.   Happened to Naslund too, same with Bertuzzi although for sure a totally different level.   Same with the Sedins for that  matter.     How about Rat-Face?  Anyone guess he'd get 100 points in one season during his prime in Boston?  I for sure didn't - but did see a lot of upside too.    You could take most 50-60 point second line player - bump them up to the first line and first PP unit - and expect a 15-20 point gain.   I remember a third liner going from third to first line in Florida and scoring 65ish p - Stephan Weiss.  Because they got rid of their top line.     It's razor thin the talent between a very good middle sixer,  and a top line player from what i've seen....Seriously how many points would JT Miller score on a line with Stamkos anyways? 

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Vancouver Canucks core roster age:

franchise centre:  22

franchise winger: 24

franchise captain: 25

franchise defenseman:21

franchise goalie: 25

The good: Canucks have franchise players in all key positions. It should be a fairly straight forward job to fill the roster with depth through drafting and other means.

The bad: Even if all the bad contracts are off the salary cap, the franchise players have to get paid. 

The good really out weighs the bad imo. 

People need to calm down about future contracts... I was worried Brock woulda came in about 3 million higher... Bo was even a little lower as well... Now we have covid market, everyone will be lower. 

I highly doubt we see Petey sign for Matthew's money given we just had a pandemic and no more raising cap 3 mill a year... Also auston didn't like the city... Petey loves it here and is trying to get Emil to sign here too 

Jim is setting us up real good. Patience! Trust the process... 

Edited by apollo
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Patience, did you say patieince ?  just to refresh folks memories  :-

“I like this team - I like the core players. This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” - Benning

— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) May 23, 2014

Unfortunately the story line has changed to this team needs a further 2 years to become an elite team in the league ( 2021 ) that will make it 9 I repeat NINE years to become a competitive team and you suggest more patience ??  Between 2014 and now I have spent $35,000 and you suggest more patience..... honestly I just don't get it. Mr Benning has gone from quick success to a quagmire and fans are happy about that ? Once upon a time aa  a mans word was his bond. What is shows me is there is no plan. They were fortunate Pettersson fell to them in 2017, that's the plan!! before that Vcr was in the wilderness

11 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

FACT:  We have probably close to 10million in Cap space not on the ice and yet STILL We are 

competing and starting to win. Like the A's not spending anywhere near other teams and yet 

still being in the mix. 

off the top of my head, i think we have 17m coming off the books this summer IF we buyout Eriksson. I know it more than 11m but can't recall the math i did 3 weeks ago. haha. 

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Next CBA, needs a CYA clause (as in, if you suck, GTFO!).

The NFL has it, and no one goes crying the blues.

Perform, or get out. Anchor contracts are bad for the entire sport.

The only reason i disagree with you is "sucking" in sports is very subjective. You are asking to give teams the ability to fire anyone they don't like or can't squeeze under the cap pretty much whenever they want. The annual buyout does what your asking while keeping the teams honest. I think such a clause would see offersheets go sky high only to see a player fired a year later for a bad OT playoff goal against. Basically would negate the idea of a cap in the first place. I could be wrong, just off the top of my head. 

3 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

off the top of my head, i think we have 17m coming off the books this summer IF we buyout Eriksson. I know it more than 11m but can't recall the math i did 3 weeks ago. haha. 

It actually saves us more money if we buy out Holtby and sign a cheaper back up. In a dream world we would buyout both, but I doubt Aqua man at his current financial state is willing to buy out players.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

The only reason i disagree with you is "sucking" in sports is very subjective. You are asking to give teams the ability to fire anyone they don't like or can't squeeze under the cap pretty much whenever they want. The annual buyout does what your asking while keeping the teams honest. I think such a clause would see offersheets go sky high only to see a player fired a year later for a bad OT playoff goal against. Basically would negate the idea of a cap in the first place. I could be wrong, just off the top of my head. 

You wouldn't see that blatant an abuse of the system, because who in their right mind would go to a team who treated people like that.

It works in the NFL. It works. And this system we have, is broken.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

You wouldn't see that blatant an abuse of the system, because who in their right mind would go to a team who treated people like that.

It works in the NFL. It works. And this system we have, is broken.

probably a sweet spot in the middle somewhere eh? without giving all the power to the owners and stripping the players of any security at all? Shrug. Not too worried about it. Hopefully there is something like a pressure release valve for each team, maybe one "get out of a bad contract card" per season?

2 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

probably a sweet spot in the middle somewhere eh? without giving all the power to the owners and stripping the players of any security at all? Shrug. Not too worried about it. Hopefully there is something like a pressure release valve for each team, maybe one "get out of a bad contract card" per season?

Send the case to an impartial arbitrator?

• Cheers 1

If Demko isn’t standing on his head the last few weeks we are waaaay out of it. 

When you rely on your goalies as much as we do you’re not gonna set yourself up for long-term success. 

Gotta be better in front of them. Same problem last year. 

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Next CBA, needs a CYA clause (as in, if you suck, GTFO!).

The NFL has it, and no one goes crying the blues.

Perform, or get out. Anchor contracts are bad for the entire sport.

This would be one of the best thing they can do to bring more accountability.  

19 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

There has to be some kind of middle ground. Chicken's right, arbitrators are the answer.

Talk on radio today of Miller playing better because he feels more engaged as a centre.

What does the team look like with Miller, Petey and Horvat down the middle?  Spitballing.....

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Miller Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle Sutter

Petey out for another week at least according to Green

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Talk on radio today of Miller playing better because he feels more engaged as a centre.

What does the team look like with Miller, Petey and Horvat down the middle?  Spitballing.....

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Miller Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle Sutter

Petey out for another week at least according to Green

TBH Petey probably plays LW on the top line. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

TBH Petey probably plays LW on the top line. 

I wonder how good Petey would be as a winger.  It's a simpler position to play but more physical.  I guess there's only one way to find out.

I think that those 3 down the middle would be very strong but it's only going to work if the wingers are better.  I mean, on a good team, Pearson is probably on the 3rd line.  So what about the depth coming up?  does Jake stick in the top 6 long term?  Podkolzin may be top 6.  They're grooming Lind as a centre (presumably 3C).  Gadjovich is 3rd line too.  Maybe you're right, Miller on the 3rd line is a luxury they don't have the depth for