The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL, ESPN reach seven-year U.S. broadcast deal

Rate this topic

On 3/11/2021 at 8:00 PM, BoKnows said:

It'll be awesome to hear Stephen A talk about hockey.

Stephen A is the best in the business, really wish he'd have Shannon Sharpe as his partner. Those 2 are just gold, I can't stand Skip Bayless, Max Kellerman and Nick Wright (who is just atrocious). The guy who Im starting to really enjoy watching is Brandon Marshall, I think hes got a bright future in media. He's got some very good takes and hes entertaining

• Cheers 1

With no ESPN+ in the UK I’m interested to see where they go with the international markets. Will they sell off the rights to third parties like currently some of which are little known sports broadcasters with appalling services.

Im hoping that in the UK Disney add it to the Disney plus packet (even if it’s a paid add on, as we don’t have Hulu either) as it would be nice to have it tied into a normal service provider and not have to buy a mega sports package that show a a tiny bit of hockey and shed load of sports I don’t watch. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

U.S. NHL TV rights more than doubled from NBC/Disney $325M/yr to $625M/yr with ESPN/Turner Sports

The NHL is raking in crazy money with these recent TV deals.

Rogers Sportsnet contract is 5.23 billion over 12 years on all Canadian platforms.

That’s an additional $435M per year there (expires 2025/2026)

So the yearly income from both countries will be:

$625M US + 435M CDN !!!!!

paid pay day GIF

On 3/9/2021 at 11:43 PM, BoKnows said:

I would love to hear Gary Thorne call games.

I'm excited about the NHL being on ESPN in general.  Hopefully it'll lead to more hockey coverage on their social medias, popular shows (first take), etc.  ESPN has the opportunity to expose the NHL to new fans.

and also expand the teams they will cover. The way NBC covers the NHL it seems the league only consists of 7 or 8 teams, Caps, Pens, Flyers, Bruins, Hawks, Rangers, and Red Wings

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 1:23 AM, iinatcc said:

and also expand the teams they will cover. The way NBC covers the NHL it seems the league only consists of 7 or 8 teams, Caps, Pens, Flyers, Bruins, Hawks, Rangers, and Red Wings

I think TNT will be guilty of that more than ESPN will. 

On 4/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mackcanuck said:

U.S. NHL TV rights more than doubled from NBC/Disney $325M/yr to $625M/yr with ESPN/Turner Sports

To put that into perspective, that's somewhere around a tenth of what the NFL TV deal(s) are worth on a yearly basis.......and they only play 16 games (yes, 17 this year).  This is why the various major leagues pushed hard to have games broadcast even with no fans in arenas.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...