The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 10, 2021 | 8 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Benning is a fool to not sign Toffoli for 4 million but give Pearson Toffoli money. That screams incompetent management.

If you're implying Benning paid Pearson, he didn't. Pearson was signed by LA, traded to Pittsburgh, and then traded here.

If you think he'll pay Pearson Toffoli money, well, we'll see. But given our coming cap crunch, I doubt it. 

• Hydration 1
Just now, Dazzle said:

Indeed. With this loss, our playoff chances drop dramatically, in spite of our last three games. It's a shame really. Coaching should have been switched because MTL and CAL did theirs.

Except our ownership and management are trying to have it both ways.

We’re a cap team that has the goal of making the playoffs but also we’re a young team that is years away from being competitive.

Fans aren’t buying it anymore.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Indeed. With this loss, our playoff chances drop dramatically, in spite of our last three games. It's a shame really. Coaching should have been switched because MTL and CAL did theirs.

Flamers have had *FIVE* different head coaches since June 2014 (when Jim Benning was hired as GM of the Vancouver Canucks).  I wager that's at least a major reason their franchise (Flamers) are just going in circles.  Revolving door policy on head coaches is never a good thing.

• Hydration 2
9 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Holy crap. So many people crying and complaining about the coach, this player, that player, the team sucks blah blah blah.... its their first bad game in almost 3 weeks. The Canucks played 14 straight games of good hockey where they just werent lucky. We deserved a better record over that stretch of games, we went 6-6-2 over that stretch and we probably shoulda had 4-5 more wins. We have 1 bad game after 3 weeks of playing well and people lose their crap. I think its fair to just accept after 14 consecutive games of being dialled in, that we werent sharp tonight and it was just one off night in the past 3 weeks for the boys. Onto the next game.

Thanks for this post. 

They have been playing really well the past several weeks

Tonight looked like the first half of the season. 

It looked like the Canucks have no answer when a team employs a full court press on the forecheck. Our guys were holding it a little longer than normal and turning pucks over constantly. 

Have we seen a forecheck like this since the last time Mtl tooled on us? 

I feel like guys should know where each other are or where they are going but it doesn't seem to be the case because instead of beating the forecheck by moving the puck quickly, we eat it and then turn it over. 

The book on the Canucks will be pressure the dmen and they will turn it over. 

We need an answer to that by figuring out how to transition the puck up ice. 

In that sense I feel like team was not prepared. 

That being said, you are abolsutely right in that we have been playing quite a high calibre of hockey for a stretch and it's our first real dud in a while

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Used car salesman jumps on when he may have a case to sell a few season tickets 

then he hides when we stink.....he has hidden alot 

Fire the un-special teams coaches. Bring back Manny. That alone probably brings the team another 5-9 points if done at the start of the season.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

our wingers aside from Brock and Hog suck. JB needs to give Boston a call for the disgruntled DeBrusk. 

Bringing in another tweener who isn't a lot of use when he's not scoring isn't the solution.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Benning is a fool to not sign Toffoli for 4 million but give Pearson Toffoli money. That screams incompetent management.

Benning didn’t sign Pearson. Argument is invalid. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
4 minutes ago, b3. said:

:(

But our play is trending in the right direction right?

With a system that relies on retreating and giving up ice and then standing stationary it’s really not a surprise.

3 minutes ago, b3. said:

:(

Well, at least we made the right call on our goaltending future.

Letting go of Tanev sucked but Schmidt, Hamonic, and Juolevi (when he plays) have been great.

So why do we suck? Because we lost Toffoli?

I'm all for giving Green a chance until the end of the season but I'm beginning to think that it's coaching. It's either Green or his assistants. If the same coaching staff is brought back, I will be pissed. At least the assistants need to go.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Demko was trying to steal this game for us but got no goal support. 

Trade Pearson, Sutter, Benn, Roussel, Beagle if there are any takers... literally take anything for them. 

let the kids play and for the love of all that is holy, PLAY MacEWEN!! Roussel needs to hang out with Loui in the taxi squad hes friggin useless. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Benning didn’t sign Pearson. Argument is invalid. 

Yeah, and hasn't resigned him hint hint. Pearson's gone, Canucks are moving on. So sad.

• Hydration 1
10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Nonis drafted Edler.

Nonis drafted Cory Schneider --> Horvat through Gillis.

Luongo trade?

And what did Gillis do again? Really?

Everyone makes excuses for his Stanley Cup run, which should be noted, of course. But we are talking about drafting and developing. After he left, the team was in a terrible position wise. So, no, it wasn't "all" Nonis' fault.

Well I was kind of kidding but if you want to find the real culprit it was Jake Milford.  If he hadn't of traded Rick Vaive and Bill Delargo to the Leafs in 1980 in exchange for Tiger Williams we would have won the Cup in '82  and thus began a winning legacy.  Instead we got smoked by the Islanders in 4 straight and the losing culture that we still suffer from today was established.  Damn you Jake Milford!!! 

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately Montreal is a team we absolutely needed to beat in order to get back in the race.

Edmonton and Winnipeg are pulling away so that just leaves Calgary.

I knew we wouldnt make the playoffs 10 games ago. So we strung a couple of wins like Senators, it still doesnt solve the fact that we have a terrible defense. We just arent a playoff team, as simple as that.

Just now, xereau said:

Yeah, and hasn't resigned him hint hint. Pearson's gone, Canucks are moving on. So sad.

Hope he is traded. Benning better sell on the trade deadline for once.

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Wait,  we won a cup in 2011? 

Be serious ..you comparing the oiler rebuild with where the Canucks are?  Oilers have already been through guys like eberle , hemsky and horcoff as Core players .. they even moved on from Hall and yakupov.   Up till recently their fans hadn’t seen a playoff game in HD , and CBC started using HD broadcasts for all games  in like 2006.

They have also drafted first overall four times..where they drafted a generational player

they finally have a decent year and here you are telling us how far ahead they are .  

your coaching takes are inflated but could be plausible in some ways.. but ... this take is pretty awful 

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, xereau said:

He can also show me the scenario where we decided to sign Toffoli or Pearson, I’ll wait. 

• Hydration 1