The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 10, 2021 | 8 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

He's turning 70 this summer and has left jobs in the past to 'spend more time with my grandchildren.'

I don't think he's a guy hoping to back into the life of buses and airports. 

Ya I think you're pbbly right..

He's got a good gig in St Louis right now. Coaching is a lot of work. Gotta put in atleast12 hrs a day and then all the travelling and such..

He's already won a Cup as head coach so he pbbly has no desire at his age to be head coach..

I was just pointing out that during the last 2 decades he's been a head coach and asst coach for around 10 yrs..

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

He’s a terrible coach 

He doesn't want to put in 12 plus hours a day at the rink at this stage of his life.

Especially when he's got a net worth of 250 million USD and brings in millions per year..

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

He's turning 70 this summer and has left jobs in the past to 'spend more time with my grandchildren.'

I don't think he's a guy hoping to back into the life of buses and airports. 

Absolutely. But he would definitely be a first-rate candidate for coaching.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He doesn't want to put in 12 plus hours a day at the rink at this stage of his life.

Especially when he's got a net worth of 250 million USD and brings in millions per year..

I never suggested him for the job.  Even if he was interested he’d be a terrible choice 

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

As long as Benning doesn’t try and go back to the well with Julien.

I don't get it. If Benning has a choice between Robinson and Julien, it better be a no brainer. Larry all the way, otherwise, I personally would fire Benning.

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya I think you're pbbly right..

He's got a good gig in St Louis right now. Coaching is a lot of work. Gotta put in atleast12 hrs a day and then all the travelling and such..

He's already won a Cup as head coach so he pbbly has no desire at his age to be head coach..

I was just pointing out that during the last 2 decades he's been a head coach and asst coach for around 10 yrs..

I just think/wish, he'd be a fantastic person to become our new head coach.

My first choice for next coach would be Gallant. He's the #1 guy available out there imo.

I'm not sure Aqua will pay the high price and long term contract which will be required to sign Gallant. Not right now with the pandemic and team losing money.

Maybe we should look to Europe in SHL for assistant coach.... Maybe even head coach.

I read an article recently about Sam Hallam. EPs head coach in SHL.  He has 2 championships and  highly regarded.. 

I'd hire Gallant as head coach and Hallam as an assistant

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

He's won 3 Stanley Cups as head coach and assistant coach during that time Plus 1 Cup as Sr Advisor with Blues during that time..

He cited stress when he left the Devils but was asst coach with Sharks for 5 years after that..

He was asst coach in San Jose just 3 seasons ago and works with Blues as Sr Advisor right now.. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

if he had wanted to be a head coach at any point over the last 2 decades or so, he would have been. 

he doesn't like the stress. 

in the last 2 decades he has been a head coach for 83 games, spread over 2 seasons, separated by 4 years. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

My first choice for next coach would be Gallant. He's the #1 guy available out there imo.

I'm not sure Aqua will pay the high price and long term contract which will be required to sign Gallant. Not right now with the pandemic and team losing money.

Maybe we should look to Europe in SHL for assistant coach.... Maybe even head coach.

I read an article recently about Sam Hallam. EPs head coach in SHL.  He has 2 championships and  highly regarded.. 

I'd hire Gallant as head coach and Hallam as an assistant

I keep seeing this but not much explanation about what people think Gallant would do differently than Green. Just hoping someone with more coaching knowledge can explain it to me. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what about his approach vs Greens do you think would be an improvement? 

Green has an approach? When did that happen?

- green has has a pathetic pp and d system from day 1. So one may say that is the assistants but they report to him. Shows you his decision making ability. His team has zero structure and he shows zero pulse and passion

- gallant inherents a mix of players from all over the league all playing under different systems. Within one season he implemented a unbelievable d zone system, uptempo offensive system and look what it did. Cup finals in his first year 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I keep seeing this but not much explanation about what people think Gallant would do differently than Green. Just hoping someone with more coaching knowledge can explain it to me. 

Up temp offense but very good defensive structure. His system allows less grade A scoring chances and is defensively very solid.. He lets his players make a mistake or two. Won't park them on the bench if a player makes a mistake. He prefers to build a player's confidence and not yell at them or bench them for a mistake. 

Green has no defensive structure in his style. He's up tempo offense but sucks in D zone play. 

Defense wins games and the whole team has to play as a unit to limit goals against. Gallant excels in that department. 

Jack Adams trophy winner as coach of the year.

• Thanks 1