The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Teams Calling on Schmidt and Motte

Motte is a top 10 league leader in hits , combined with his work ethic, defensive capabilities and developing offensive skills he’s Very hard to replace. If you don’t offer a 1st, don’t bother calling.

Tanner Pearson is going to fetch a 2nd , he goes to the dirty areas and has 2 cups. 

Hamonic has to stay in Canada but should get a 2nd.

I think someone will give a 2nd for Sutter , at least I hope so.

I’d be surprised if Edler agreed to leave but he could command good returns.

Poor Baertchi isn’t getting any offers except Europe.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

Motte is a top 10 league leader in hits , combined with his work ethic, defensive capabilities and developing offensive skills he’s Very hard to replace. If you don’t offer a 1st, don’t bother calling.

Tanner Pearson is going to fetch a 2nd , he goes to the dirty areas and has 2 cups. 

Hamonic has to stay in Canada but should get a 2nd.

I think someone will give a 2nd for Sutter , at least I hope so.

I’d be surprised if Edler agreed to leave but he could command good returns.

Poor Baertchi isn’t getting any offers except Europe.

If these are the returns that you expect, I think you'll be disappointed.

No way Motte gets a first.

Pearson, might get a 2nd, but I doubt Hamonic does.  Sutter might, if the Canucks retain salary.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, The Lock said:

But the more players we ship out like Motte in those 2 years, the "more longer" than 2 years it's going to take because then we have to fix that part of the roster.

If we already have players like Motte in place when things are going well, the more likely we'll be a contender.

I think what you're suggesting would just set us back over time and for what? A second round pick that may or may not even make the NHL? That's just mismanagement at it's core.

If moving a 4th line player somehow sets us back, we were never a great team to begin with.  At the same time, there aren't many cases in NHL history where acquiring picks is a form of mismanagement.

At the end of the day, Motte is not a core player.  He may very well be an exceptional role player for the team but he's not somebody the team relies on to win games, at least not in a literal sense.

1 hour ago, thundernuts said:

If these are the returns that you expect, I think you'll be disappointed.

No way Motte gets a first.

Pearson, might get a 2nd, but I doubt Hamonic does.  Sutter might, if the Canucks retain salary.

You are not going to replace what Motte brings with a late 2nd round pick, so why trade him for a gamble like that? 

• Upvote 1

This Motte conversation has completely spun out of control.

A 1st round pick for a player who hasn't even put together a full season of being a quality NHLer at 26 years-old?

LOL?

He had a nice week-long stretch vs the Blues last year and a nice month-long stretch to start this season. It is possible that this is his "new normal" going forward? Sure it's possible; perhaps he's a late bloomer due to how little pro hockey he's played since turning pro (less than 300 games over about 6 years). But he's going to have to prove that before any team gives up anything significant for him.

Right now he's more valuable to us than on the trade market.

16 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

You are not going to replace what Motte brings with a late 2nd round pick, so why trade him for a gamble like that? 

Then you don’t......

He won’t even bring back a 2nd.  
A 1st isn’t even a thought.   
JB would get run out of town if he spent a 1st on a 4th liner.    Why would any other GM be different?

49 minutes ago, gurn said:

Apparently Motte is so valuable he should be on the first line, and perhaps be the captain.

That’s silly but Mottes value shouldn’t be underestimated.

Quality bottom 6 players aren’t as easy to acquire as people may think. Look at how many overpaid ones we have right now. That’s what it costs to get them in free agency.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Nor overestimated.

No obviously you take a 1st round pick if someone offers.

But just taking any 2nd round pick doesn’t really help the team. The chances of the pick even reaching Mottes level are quite low.

Id rather keep him long term and have him show the young players what it means to play hard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If moving a 4th line player somehow sets us back, we were never a great team to begin with.  At the same time, there aren't many cases in NHL history where acquiring picks is a form of mismanagement.

At the end of the day, Motte is not a core player.  He may very well be an exceptional role player for the team but he's not somebody the team relies on to win games, at least not in a literal sense.

Do you want a good team in 2 years or do you not? That's really what it comes down to. Is Motte essential right now? No. Will Motte be essential when we're a good team? Absolutely he will.

If you look at most contenders, they have a solid bottom 6 group. If we only care about our top 6 up until the time of contention, we then still have a bottom 6 group to figure out. It took at least 2 or 3 more years for Gillis to fill out the bottom 6 and get the right mix of players when he arrived, and that was AFTER we had the core in place.

If we already have players like Motte on the team, that's  less we have to do later on and gives us a better chance at being a contender. So I think you are grossly overvaluing the outcome of getting a pick vs the outcome of keeping an important piece on the team. He's even only making less than 1.3 mil a season. You don't just trade one of your most cost-effective pieces away unless if you're getting a king's ransom in return, core or not.

Let me put it this way: there are pieces in our top 9 I would trade before I would even consider Motte. ;)

Edited by The Lock

My summary is Motte in particular & Schmidt are more valuable to us?

Than their likely value on the trade market. 

Our UFA's, save the guys with NMC's (Edler & Hamonic) should be fair game.  If we dont get a big return, at least its a return...

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

My summary is Motte in particular & Schmidt are more valuable to us?

Than their likely value on the trade market. 

Our UFA's, save the guys with NMC's (Edler & Hamonic) should be fair game.  If we dont get a big return, at least its a return...

Yeah I have no problem with trading a piece we could lose at the end of the season anyway. Just Motte still has another year at under 1.3mil and Schmidt's has a few years left.

If it looked like Motte was going to be paid a lot more in a couple of years, then I could see it, but it's way too early to tell.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Do you want a good team in 2 years or do you not? That's really what it comes down to. Is Motte essential right now? No. Will Motte be essential when we're a good team? Absolutely we will.

If you look at most contenders, they have a solid bottom 6 group. If we only care about our top 6 up until the time of contention, we then still have a bottom 6 group to figure out. It took at least 2 or 3 more years for Gillis to fill out the bottom 6 and get the right mix of players when he arrived, and that was AFTER we had the core in place.

If we already have players like Motte on the team, that's  less we have to do later on and gives us a better chance at being a contender. So I think you are grossly overvaluing the outcome of getting a pick vs the outcome of keeping an important piece on the team. He's even only making less than 1.3 mil a season. You don't just trade one of your most cost-effective pieces away unless if you're getting a king's ransom in return, core or not.

Let me put it this way: there are pieces in our top 9 I would trade before I would even consider Motte. ;)

You're overrating Motte and you're also assuming that we will somehow be good in two years.  How exactly will the team improve between now and two years if we don't make any moves to get assets like draft picks and prospects?