The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Teams Calling on Schmidt and Motte

I would only move Motte if I could get a 1st back for him like San Jose got for Goodrow, Devils got for Coleman and many other examples. Motte has the potential to be just as good as both these players. 

On 3/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Trade Sutter, Baers, Roussel, Benn, and see if we can get Edler to a cup contender for picks.

Baertschi and  Roussel have no value, Benn has very little while Sutter and Edler could probably fetch a second or a third 

• Hydration 1
On 3/11/2021 at 5:28 PM, WHL rocks said:

About Hamonic ...

He's got NMC and I dont see him waiving. Another poster, can't remember who, told me a while ago that Hamonic has agreement with JB that he won't be traded and won't be asked to waive his NMC. Family reasons..

In any case. Id try to extend Hamonic.. He won't cost so much and he's looked pretty good lately as he settles in after returning from injury.

I have a different take. Since the Canucks likely don't make playoffs Hamonic's opportunity to showcase himself during playoff games is lost. He will be a UFA and needs a new contract with money and term. I actually think he could waive his NMC to get that opportunity with a playoff team. He holds all the cards so a willingness to waive can have caveats to protect his landing place. 

I have been very impressed with Hamonic's play of late. I am actually hoping JB can resign him. A RD of Hamonic-Meyers-Tryamkin would be impressive. 

• Hydration 1
38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have a different take. Since the Canucks likely don't make playoffs Hamonic's opportunity to showcase himself during playoff games is lost. He will be a UFA and needs a new contract with money and term. I actually think he could waive his NMC to get that opportunity with a playoff team. He holds all the cards so a willingness to waive can have caveats to protect his landing place. 

I have been very impressed with Hamonic's play of late. I am actually hoping JB can resign him. A RD of Hamonic-Meyers-Tryamkin would be impressive. 

We need that sand paper he brings on the right side. I like that Myers is playing heavier this season too, but he is way more comfortable playing more of a two way defensive game, skates with the puck and moves it up ice, and puts time in on special teams PK and second PP. Very useful. Hamonic rounds out that right side adding a strong stay at home presence and solid PK ability. He is still youngish too, I wouldn't mind him on a 2-3 year cap friendly deal. Our right side D prospects aren't really ready yet so we need help on that side in the mean time.

Woo will definitely be a replacement for him in 2-3 years time. I like what I see from him this year in Utica. Shaky start but rounding out nicely, he looks strong on the puck for a kid just coming into the AHL, not rattled at all....as for our other RD Rafferty...I may be the only one on here that isn't sold on him. Everybody glows about him from last years season in Utica, but I see a guy who is full of defensive issues. When I watched him last season in Utica he isn't on the right side of the puck a lot defensively, but makes up for it A LOT with his offence. But his offence last year came at the expense of weaker competition, the things he was doing last season would not be able to be replicated at the NHL level, no way no how. Kind of like Jordan Subban, lots of offensive flash, but the offense would never translate to the NHL as it's just that much quicker and those cute plays don't work at that level. Anyways my take. We need to draft more right side help in my opinion.

I highly doubt that neither Motte nor Schmidt are available.  The Canucks are still building, not rebuilding.  Guys like Sutter, Beagle Benn, Pearson and Rousell might be available, but that's probably it

Edited by stawns
2 hours ago, stawns said:

I highly doubt that neither Motte nor Schmidt are available.  The Canucks are still building, not rebuilding.  Guys like Sutter, Beagle Benn, Pearson and Rousell might be available, but that's probably it

For the right price every one is available. 

• Hydration 1
18 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Baertschi and  Roussel have no value, Benn has very little while Sutter and Edler could probably fetch a second or a third 

A second for Sutter is highly unlikely.  Maybe a 3rd or a 4th and that's only if the Canucks retain money or take a contract back

10 hours ago, Boudrias said:

That usually doesn't work out.. going to new team at tdl..... usually costs the player millions.. 

Shatenkirk to WSH from STL cost him millions.. Plus risk of an injury in  physical and hard playoffs is another big issue.. Extra mileage on body is a career longevity issue..

I know players want to win the Cup..  But a long career and the 10s of millions of dollars to set up ur family longterm is a huge factor..it needs to be considered..

When towards end of career it makes sense to go to a contender to get a chance at the Cup. But not when a player has a few yrs left in career. 

Edited by WHL rocks