Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Teams Calling on Schmidt and Motte


Recommended Posts

Only players unmoveable are Demko ,  Pettersson, Horvat ,Boeser, Miller,  Hoglander   and Hughes.    You take offers on anyone else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be blunt, I'm not sure Motte's even worth as little as any old 2nd rounder. Those are the kinds of guys who are glue for contender teams. Maybe I take a top 40 pick for him, but I'm not sure about lower than that.

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

Motte in 2 years vs a 2nd or late first rounder in 2 years? This isn’t even a conversation, Motte is a better player than whoever that will be 99/100. The only way Motte should be traded is if we receive a prospect further back in development or a RHD prospect.

I agree. Why would you trade Motte, the way he's developing and the player he's becoming for a 2nd? That is absolutely hilarious!!! Wow! Some people are on serious drugs. Give me their dealer's number! Haha! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'll be blunt, I'm not sure Motte's even worth as little as any old 2nd rounder. Those are the kinds of guys who are glue for contender teams. Maybe I take a top 40 pick for him, but I'm not sure about lower than that.

For someone like you who is writing articles about the midway point of the season... you would actually give away Motte for perhaps a 2nd? Geez, thank God you're not in charge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BarnBurner said:

For someone like you who is writing articles about the midway point of the season... you would actually give away Motte for perhaps a 2nd? Geez, thank God you're not in charge.

Does me writing about the midway point have anything to do with anything? I'm not sure I see the connection.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Motter, but our 4th line has looked good without him, and he's not really a 3rd line guy. If we can get a 2nd rounder for him, I'd consider it. If not just keep him. Schmidt I see as a replacement for Edler, we should let Edler walk and use that cap to retain Hughes and Petey or try add a top 4 RD somehow. Keep Schmidt though. Unless someone massively overpays with a 1st rounder and a B prospect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coconuts said:

Even if we are, that puts Motte at 28 which should be a prime age for him, it's not as if he won't still be useful during now and then 

 

Nothing wrong with capitalizing on assets, but there are decisions to be made regarding who's worth keeping and I feel the players I mentioned are 

 

The problem with drafting is also the development time required for prospects to transition into players who even remotely resemble the guys we've traded away

 

Stocking the cupboards while trying to compete is about balance, not shipping everyone out the moment the playoffs appear to be in doubt

For what it's worth, I'm happy to keep Motte and Schmidt.  But if offers come along that make sense or are beyond their value, it's crucial we pull the trigger.  A lot of players can come in and do what Motte does.  Less so for Schmidt but he's also replaceable.

 

Development time is key but with our competitive timeline being pushed back by 2 years, we don't necessarily have a need for picks to develop straight away.  According to the experts on this board, Lind/Gadjovich/Woo are all studs in the making so we should be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t trade Motte.

 

Schmidt? He’s finally turned his game around recently, just need to see more offense.

 

Hamonic? Sure. Next year probably includes: Edler (cheaper, short-term deal), Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, Juolevi, Tryamkin(?), Rathbone(?), Rafferty (?). Probably have room for one-depth guy - is it Benn? Hamonic? Other?

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the sake of context, Tyler Toffoli - a superior player to Tyler Motte - fetched a mid-round 2nd and a B+ prospect.

 

As much as we all love Tyler Motte, you'd be so foolish to turn down a 2nd.  I get that he means a lot to us but value is value.  If that 2nd turns out to be a Nils Hoglander - a player that the experts on this board have already proclaimed as a legitimate NHL talent, you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-eichel-injury-latest-bad-news-sabres-cursed-year/

 

Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts has some Canucks in the article.

 

image.png.a73a582990de34fc61012badf7b573bc.png

image.png.8692539e0ec5fe06b2c68391f087fd19.png

 

I'd be interested to see what the market sees in value of Motte, Schmidt, and Hamonic.

 

First inclination is nah I wouldn't dare trade the 3 right now, but its not hurt to explore what teams would be willing to shell out for these guys.

 

Tampa Bay last year traded 1st round picks to acquire Barclay Goodrow and Blake Coleman who are considered bottom six players and with friendly deals. Not saying Motte gets that but what is a team willing to offer? Certainly worth exploring.

Nah is the first reaction for me too.

 

But if it's 1st for Motte? That's gotta be considered.

 

Nah to any trade involving Schmidt. 

 

And I would trade Hamonic only if he isn't interested in returning next season. I like his game and I think he has done a good job with Hughes.

 

Our defence strung together some tightly played games. Now is not the time to break it up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

For what it's worth, I'm happy to keep Motte and Schmidt.  But if offers come along that make sense or are beyond their value, it's crucial we pull the trigger.  A lot of players can come in and do what Motte does.  Less so for Schmidt but he's also replaceable.

 

Development time is key but with our competitive timeline being pushed back by 2 years, we don't necessarily have a need for picks to develop straight away.  According to the experts on this board, Lind/Gadjovich/Woo are all studs in the making so we should be fine.

You always listen to offers as a GM, if you ain't doing that you ain't doing your job. Fans can afford to be sentimental, hockey executives don't get so much of that luxury.

 

It's one thing to appear cynical regarding the views of other board members, but our drafting has been much improved. You make a fair argument regarding how a timeline would shift, but who's to say we don't have success before 2023 or 2024? It'd take a high second for me to part with Motte, because he provides tangible benefit to the club as opposed to unknown potential. 

 

I don't see Schmidt going anywhere, even if Edler comes back next season he's only got so much time left as a player. I could see Schmidt thriving under a more competent coaching staff too. Schmidt's young enough that he should be an effective D for the remainder of his contract. 

 

As for Hamonic, I think the value he'd add by giving Quinn a stable D partner outweighs the benefit of moving him for an asset or two. At his age he's not a long-term solution, but him costing us nothing but money allows us to continue hunting for/developing a player who may be able to play with Hughes on a more long-term basis. Putting Hughes on the ice in a position to succeed could go a long way to altering any purported timeline. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

For the sake of context, Tyler Toffoli - a superior player to Tyler Motte - fetched a mid-round 2nd and a B+ prospect.

 

As much as we all love Tyler Motte, you'd be so foolish to turn down a 2nd.  I get that he means a lot to us but value is value.  If that 2nd turns out to be a Nils Hoglander - a player that the experts on this board have already proclaimed as a legitimate NHL talent, you're laughing all the way to the bank.

True. With JB at the helm, that 2nd rounder can be next Hoglander or Demko. 

 

If Hawryluk plays well, Motte may be tradeable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, khay said:

True. With JB at the helm, that 2nd rounder can be next Hoglander or Demko. 

 

If Hawryluk plays well, Motte may be tradeable.

32-40 range is where we have hit money. Not as keen when we start talking 50+ 2nd round picks. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If a team offers a 2nd (or more) for Motte, you take it.

 

By management's own admission that the team is 2 years away, you also take any offer that involves good youth/picks for Schmidt, since he'll be in his early 30s by then.  Any round of pick for Hamonic the team should probably take as well.

 

The Canucks are being handed lifelines so they better make use of them.  Then again, this team isn't ran by the smartest guys.

lol, you buy into that? 

 

They "say" we are 2 years away because they don't know wtf went wrong this season and "figured" it will take 2 years to correct and our young stars "should" be in their prime. 

 

So instead of a grand 2 year plan, it is more like a lot of hoping at Canucks management. 

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...