The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Athletic article... Sabres vs Canucks: After 50 years and No Stanley Cups, who's fans have had it worse?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

48 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

https://theathletic.com/2440424/2021/03/11/sabres-vs-canucks-after-50-years-and-no-stanley-cups-whose-fans-have-had-it-worse?source=user-shared-article

Saddest fact from franchise history

Drance’s case for the Canucks: Want to know where the Canucks rank out of the NHL’s 31 current marketplaces in all-time points percentage? If you guessed dead last, you nailed it! The Canucks have won 158 fewer games than the Sabres since both teams entered the league and have picked up points in 26 fewer games.

Vancouver is, as a matter of fact, the NHL’s least successful current franchise by on-ice results.

Wow.

Having followed the Canucks since they came into the NHL I knew they had a poor history.  But this bad?  :sadno:

On the other hand, doesn't this make Canuck fans the most loyal fans in the NHL?

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I think the Kraken have a better shot lol

same expansion draft format as Vegas - so they 'should' have a better shot than a whole lot of teams....

when you can pluck a #4D off any/every team in the NHL....

when no tandem is safe

and you can fill an entire roster of mid to upper range forwards... (remembering that teams must protect every NMC they have / good contract or bad)....

if you can't build a competitive team with that, you have no business GMing at the NHL level.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Going to be even more painful as I have a feeling we will be watching Buffalo raise the cup before Vancouver as well. 

Similar to St Louis, I'm fine with this. Seeing a long suffering Franchise get it's first cup gives me hope our day will come.

Now if Seattle raises the cup before us.....:sadno:

• Cheers 2

Sabres have had it worse no question.

Numerous 1st overall and top 5 picks.  Only 1 stanley cup final of note and they had it stolen with a Hull skate in the crease.  Endless rebuilds and really only one small section of true dominance in the entire history of the team mostly on the backs of Dominik Hasek

They've absolutely had it worse.

Had the Canucks had the draft picks the Sabres did I'd maybe consider an outright tie but....

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

After last night, and after the last 50 years, I thought that it wasn't possible for it to be any more painful to be a Canucks fan.  But somehow you managed to bring me to a new all time low, Canadian Rugby.  It was painful enough the first time around.  Go Canucks Go (I guess).

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Sabres lost a Cup with a series winning goal that was illegal at the time. As painful as our losses have been, that has to be worse.  Wish @SabreFan1 still posted here for his input.

While I agree that was an illegal goal, it happened in game 6. Even if the goal was disallowed, the Sabres would have still had to win in OT to force a game 7. It's not like the Sabres had the cup in their hands at that point. 

• Cheers 1

Taking a cursory approach on this, Buffalo is by far the biggest loser. This will be their 10th season IN A ROW that they've missed the playoffs. Their version of McDavid - Eichel - is their only saving grace on a team that wasn't even able to make the playoffs, even when more teams were included for the play-in games. That's 9 years of bad drafting/mismanagement, and seemingly no hope for the future.

• Cheers 1

The over-the-top hatred of sports journalists in this town is hilarious. 

This is a tough a read for sure.  And one could make the argument that its the last thing we need to read right now. But its all true nonetheless. 

Only one thing he is glaringly wrong about.  The big V jerseys are, in fact, their best jerseys. Still too much ahead of their time to be understood. Just need the right colours. ;)

There are actual verifiable reasons the Canucks have been so woeful. Not even mentioned is our pitiful amateur scouting department for decades of mis picks.  But a lot is also simply bad luck. But that doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

They also left out a few things.  Like 94, 1982 and the Brashear incident. 

Also - the part about the current state of affairs - well simply isn't fair.   Go look at CHI first team that won a cup, and look at how well they "staggered" contracts - and the cost of winning their first cup with Kane and Toews on the last year of their ELCs.    Also didn't mention that they are the ONLY team, since the cap started - that won a cup with their future core carrying the mail did they?    Aside from that it was a half decent article - but not nearly as deep as the THN "Fan Suffering" issue of a few years ago.   They did every team - made some arbitrary metrics - and guess which teams made the top three?  Canucks - Buffalo - Toronto - in that exact order.   One thing they didn't compare between the two franchise's (Buffalo and Vancouver) was playoff games won did they - or playoff series for that matter.    

We still "won" the THN version because of ... well two riots and game seven losses, Maki, Bourbon, Rypien (RIP), Bertuzzi, Neely - really a long laundry list ... plus fans that really really suck at times (everyone hates us we don't care lol, sounds like children ... like stupid kid stuff let's burn the city down - shame and embarrassment - plus doesn't matter who's coaching or GM haters keep hating hard).....

Back to the OP.   I enjoyed the trip down through memory lane despite the complete picture actually being worse then what was said ...the way the end part was thrown in there makes Drance look like a guy who doesn't spend enough time looking around the league and how other teams staggered and just wanted to spread some sh!t around with this drivel.    Any long time fan doesn't need it spread in their face to know the history.   And again - playoff games and series won matter - a heck of a lot more then regular seasons ones, and out of curiousity what were the Sabres best seasons anyways?