The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

On 3/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

no it doesn't but I guarantee if Holtby isn't picked that will be the rant on here. 

I'd bet long on Demko now personally, I'd be very happy to see something like 5x5 for him. 

Yeah I agree. I'd like to lock him up longer. Goalies don't traditionally get signed to those 7 or 8 year deals. So I think 5 is good for a goalie, not much risk here as Demko looks to be a sure thing. I think we might be able to get him at $4x5, $4.25. As good as he's looked for the most part it's just not a long track record, and barely a winning one either.

• Cheers 1

On 3/27/2021 at 12:24 PM, DSVII said:

That's totally fair. Although we don't know for sure. This offseason we saw guys like Pietrangelo and Krug leave for new teams. In the flat cap era, I think the chances we'll see the bigger chance of an excess of dmen available due to the cap squeeze for other teams so the risk is there but the overall market inefficiency can give us a brief window where that risk isn't as big as it appears. 

Agreed as well on the Toews, but Colorado has to protect Erik Johnson (NMC) and they're getting Makar. So that means either Girard or Toews is available to be selected by Seattle. I think they will most likely pay Seattle not to select them, but in the off chance they aren't able to budge on that, there is some leeway there. (again this relies on a lot of factors)

I'm also not 100% sold on having RHD for the sake of it, because they are so short in supply, I believe this is causing teams to overvalue RHD and pay premium for lesser skilled RHD when cheaper, more skilled LHD are available. (would you rather have Myers at $6x6 mil or Jake Gardner  at $4x4 mil) If it is for a stop gap, I would like to see if we can try and scout similar players like Schmidt who are capable of playing their offwing. I think part of me also wants to do this because it goes back to Kevin Bieksa's commentary about how a righty to righty  one timer (so presumably lefty to lefty ala Ovie/Carlson) is actually faster than a lefty to righty one timer.

And if we needed more RHD and foresaw a deficiency in future UFA classes, Benning should not have chosen to let two of them walk for nothing in free agency (that is another argument altogether, but qualifying Jake and overpaying Holtby were choices he made over signing the RHD)

On 3/27/2021 at 2:12 PM, BigTramFan said:

Piet and Krug were purposely not resigned by their teams due to their expense and the fact that younger players had taken over their #1D role.

I think the Av's will go the 8 skaters route and protect more than 3 Dmen. They may even get EJ to waive his NMC so that they can protect Makar, Girard, Graves and Toews.

Seriously I would rather have Myers over Gardiner despite the $2m price difference.

Lastly, I was gutted when they let Tanev walk. I didn't mind that Stecher left but Tanev was a big blow. However, when JB traded for Schmidt and signed Hamonic I thought that they were really good moves and an overall improvement in our D corps.

Hey, let me know how dumb this is. :P Is there anyway a team trades us say Seth Jones for Juolevi, Virtanen, and our first? I think our first is obviously of value and Virtanen and Juolevi are two younger, former high picks. I guess I'm thinking if say a team like Columbus is thinking of moving on anyway. I mean it sure helps us out, ha ha.

43 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey, let me know how dumb this is. :P Is there anyway a team trades us say Seth Jones for Juolevi, Virtanen, and our first? I think our first is obviously of value and Virtanen and Juolevi are two younger, former high picks. I guess I'm thinking if say a team like Columbus is thinking of moving on anyway. I mean it sure helps us out, ha ha.

I wish it was that easy man haha

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Jones is a UFA at the end of next season. There are rumors that Jones will not resign in Columbus - nothing from reputable sources just hearsay. So there is a chance that CBJ would trade Jones next year before the TDL in order to get "something" in return, if they know he is going to walk for nothing. However, these are just rumors and CBJ will be doing everything they can to avoid reaching that outcome with Jones - he is that good. But if it gets to that point next season, VAN may entertain the idea of trading for Jones (you may not be too far off with your value btw, except likely it needs to be a good prospect like Lind or Gadj instead of Virtanen) but also remember that Jones might still choose to go to free agency and test the market, so it might not be worth all those assets just for a chance at signing him...

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the trade deadline come and gone I figured this thread deserves a bump.

If I’m Benning, I’m protecting:

F

Petey

Brock

Bo

Miller

Motte

Lind

Gadjovich

D

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

G

Demko

This makes it likely Seattle takes a $2 to $3 million forward off our hands (Pearson, Roussell, Virtanen, Beagle) if they decide to go that route, with the exception they could possibly choose MacEwan.

The only d men we could lose are Bowey and Chatfield.

Or they choose Holtby freeing up $4.3 million.

Any way you look at it, none of these players are huge losses and should clear out some decent cap space (with the exception of Bowey, Chatfield or MacEwan).

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Iggynucks said:

F

Petey

Brock

Bo

Miller

Motte

Lind

Gadjovich

D

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

G

Demko

This makes it likely Seattle takes a $2 to $3 million forward off our hands (Pearson, Roussell, Virtanen, Beagle) if they decide to go that route, with the exception they could possibly choose MacEwan.

Any way you look at it, none of these players are huge losses and should clear out some decent cap space (with the exception of Bowey, Chatfield or MacEwan).

Benning has promised Pearson to protect him, so we'll have to shuffle Gadjovich off, but otherwise yep think this is our list. Unless Benning wants to protect Jake over Lind.

10 hours ago, DSVII said:

Benning has promised Pearson to protect him, so we'll have to shuffle Gadjovich off, but otherwise yep think this is our list. Unless Benning wants to protect Jake over Lind.

Well I hope Seattle takes one of our veteran forwards or Holtby then. Would rather lose some salary than Gadjovich when he’s starting to really show some potential. Virtanen seems a likely choice for Seattle.

It appears we are set up quite nicely for the expansion draft. 

Petey

Horvat

Boeser

Miller

Pearson

Motte

Virtanen

Juolevi

Myers

Bowey

With the rest of our players, it comes down to game management. None of Juolevi, Macewen, Lind, Gadjovich, or Jasek have met the games required to need protecting and, with Lind, Juolevi, and Macewen on the taxi squad, there's no rush to play them. Gadjovich and Jasek both require 14 more games to require protection. With only 12 more games remaining on their schedule, they won't meet the requirements either.

We're going to be fine.

• Cheers 1

I think Virtanen will be a pretty tantalizing piece for Seattle, given the other options that will be available. We would be lucky if they took him. 

I’d go:

pettersson

boeser

miller

horvat

pearson

lind

motte

schmidt

juolevi

literally anyone

demko

canucks clearly have an opportunity to add a defenseman via trade before the draft as the have what is basically an unused spot. Myers doesn’t really need to be protected since I can’t see Seattle wanting to pay him a 5 million dollar bonus this summer that he’s due

7 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

It appears we are set up quite nicely for the expansion draft. 

Petey

Horvat

Boeser

Miller

Pearson

Motte

Virtanen

Juolevi

Myers

Bowey

With the rest of our players, it comes down to game management. None of Juolevi, Macewen, Lind, Gadjovich, or Jasek have met the games required to need protecting and, with Lind, Juolevi, and Macewen on the taxi squad, there's no rush to play them. Gadjovich and Jasek both require 14 more games to require protection. With only 12 more games remaining on their schedule, they won't meet the requirements either.

We're going to be fine.

You forgot about Schmidt. Schmidt's gonna be protected over Bowey. On the other hand, Rafferty is also be eligible too if I'm not mistaken.

I think Juolevi and Lind are eligible, are they not? Juolevi for sure has played quite a few professional games.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:48 AM, DSVII said:

No chance this is happening. Lind is showing all the signs of a prospect going well.

42 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You forgot about Schmidt. Schmidt's gonna be protected over Bowey. On the other hand, Rafferty is also be eligible too if I'm not mistaken.

I think Juolevi and Lind are eligible, are they not? Juolevi for sure has played quite a few professional games.

Oops.

trade Schmidt for Bowey

• Cheers 1

On 3/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Chris12345 said:

Question/proposal?

Canucks trade Eriksson to the Wild for Dumba after the season. The Canucks then protect Dumba.

Three days later trade Dumba to the Wild for a 7th?

Legal? Possible?

Both possible and legal in the literal sense of the terms I assume, but the league wouldn't allow it.

We should, however, be targeting a D-man that another team can't protect to keep on our own roster.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just send Seattle a 3rd round pick if they take Holtby, or a 5th round if they take Virtanen.

Simple enough!

Seattle can use the extra picks to try and leverage other players from cap compressed teams, during the summer.

Doesn't make any sense.

For example, a 5th isn't enough for the 2.55M Virtanen cap dump let alone the missing value for the player Vegas would select instead.

Edited by kanucks25

41 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Doesn't make any sense.

For example, a 5th isn't enough for the 2.55M Virtanen cap dump let alone the missing value for the player Vegas would select instead.

Its Seattle, and give them a 4th then... Simple enough.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:48 AM, Iggynucks said:

F

Petey

Brock

Bo

Miller

Motte

Lind

Gadjovich

D

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

G

Demko

I like your list by I’d only protect

oj on d

leave holtby Myers and shmidt and hope Seattle takes one of them. 
Ideally it’s Myers or holtby but really it would be Schmidt but  still saves 5 mill per. 

I think Myers holtby and Pearson’s contracts are all the protection they need. 

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think this has lined up well for Benning, any player important to next season is safe.

Not having enough good players to protect is not a good problem to have.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

no need to protect floaters,  take em.

We did last time.