The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hmm...so is the NHL's info misleading? It specifically says "first- and second year NHL Players" and not "pro players". I guess they just weren't clear, which is annoying. Regardless, thanks for clearing that up.

I agree that it is misleading, particularly when you see the Vegas draft rules were stated as follows:

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

• Cheers 2

Pretty much have to expose Myers. I don't think anyone else (D) meets the criteria except Schmidt.

Up front I'd prioritize protecting any of Gaudette, Motte, MacEwen & Lind over Virtanen. Save some money. 

If we had Virtanen, Holtby, Myers & a prospect like Lind/Gadjovich available, I wonder who they'd take.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I Keep:

Boeser, Horvat, Petey, Miller, Gaudette, Pearson, Motte

Schmidt, Juolevi, Benn? (Benn could be swapped out for another d-man, he just seems like a decent candidate)

Demko

I don't believe Lind, Gadjovich, or Bailey will qualify because of GR. Same goes for Rafferty. Could swap out Pearson for MacEwen if Pearson is not re-signed.

My hope is that the Kraken pick up Tyler Myers. That could help the Canucks out a lot more in the long run than them taking Holtby. Holtby could still be claimed but it seems highly unlikely. I get the sense that two or three better goalies will be available for the Kraken to pick up despite Holtby's impressive resume.

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

Boeser, Petterson, Miller, Horvat, Lind, Motte

Schmidt, Juolevi

Demko

I use the draft picks we gather from selling off rentals this season to pick up players that might not be able to be protected in expansion for less than market rates.

We have a decent chance of finding a solid 3C and a top 4D in that process.

There are two forwards who could be traded off as rentals: Pearson and Sutter. Either might get as high as a 2nd/decent prospect in a bidding war, but I'm assuming the return for each will be lower.

Benn, Edler and Hammonic would be the likely trade choices from among the defensemen. This being said, I don't see Edler or Hammonic wanting to accept a trade, but there is always a slight chance that they might. What level of pick might the Canucks get for Benn as a rental? Perhaps a 4th? (Asking as a general question to the readership)

I'm doubtful that the Canucks would get as good a quality of a player as you might hope with this haul, or without adding significant pieces, but I do hope that in this case your wishes come true.  :) 

If I'm a team (which is not in cap trouble) and I have concerns over losing one of several guys, how is my position helped by trading one of them to another team for "scraps", just so I can say that, "At least I got something for that guy")? And then I still have the same concerns, but now with one less guy to be concerned over losing in the draft. Your proposal perhaps only really works if there is a team with only one guy they are worried about losing, and in that case, I imagine that the GM from that team will try to do the side trade with Seattle (a pick/prospect/package to not take that guy), rather than lose him for lower picks etc.

I am considering more modest possibilities, such as using (some of) these Canuck rentals (or some of the assets gained from moving them) and trading for a d-man who meets the draft requirements. This would (I believe) allow the Canucks to keep Juolevi, Myers and Schmidt (assuming that was something the team wanted to do.

regards,  G.

56 minutes ago, AriGold said:

I think in the end Seattle ends up with Myers and it might be the best solution for us.

Yeah, Myers has his drawbacks (age - 31, cap and term) against him which apply for him staying here, *or* for going there.

On the other hand, if Seattle already has drafted enough veteran d-men by the time they get around to considering Vancouver's list, maybe a young forward with potential, and a reasonable contract would be of greater interest.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Pretty much have to expose Myers. I don't think anyone else (D) meets the criteria except Schmidt.

Up front I'd prioritize protecting any of Gaudette, Motte, MacEwen & Lind over Virtanen. Save some money. 

If we had Virtanen, Holtby, Myers & a prospect like Lind/Gadjovich available, I wonder who they'd take.

Unless the team could pick up another d-man who could be exposed, then Myers is (probably) the d-man on the outs.

Holtby has age (31) and term arguing against Seattle taking him, but one never knows. My guess would be Myers or Virtanen, and it depends on what other d-men Seattle have targeted, and what their cap situation would be like, in which case it could be Virtanen (unless they take Myers with an eye to trading him).

regards,  G.

50 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I Keep:

Boeser, Horvat, Petey, Miller, Gaudette, Pearson, Motte

Schmidt, Juolevi, Benn? (Benn could be swapped out for another d-man, he just seems like a decent candidate)

Demko

I don't believe Lind, Gadjovich, or Bailey will qualify because of GR. Same goes for Rafferty. Could swap out Pearson for MacEwen if Pearson is not re-signed.

My hope is that the Kraken pick up Tyler Myers. That could help the Canucks out a lot more in the long run than them taking Holtby. Holtby could still be claimed but it seems highly unlikely. I get the sense that two or three better goalies will be available for the Kraken to pick up despite Holtby's impressive resume.

Pearson and Benn will be UFAs by the draft so you got two extra spaces to use up.  :)

regards,  G.

54 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Unless the team could pick up another d-man who could be exposed, then Myers is (probably) the d-man on the outs.

Holtby has age (31) and term arguing against Seattle taking him, but one never knows. My guess would be Myers or Virtanen, and it depends on what other d-men Seattle have targeted, and what their cap situation would be like, in which case it could be Virtanen (unless they take Myers with an eye to trading him).

regards,  G.

Myers is playing like a top 4 D for us.  Holtby right now is a very overpaid nothing special 30+ year old backup.  Unless Holtby ups his game, if I were Seattle, I’d know who I would pick.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I know people hate Myer's contract and him overall, but he has been a pillar for us this season. Without him we would be in serious trouble.

This doesn't make any sense. We're in trouble with him already.

A bad team losing a player that isn't a core/frontline piece is going to matter even less when we're good because theoretically his role will be even more diminished at that time (because when we're good, we'll probably have another D-man or two playing ahead of him).

Losing Myers will be addition by subtraction in the big picture because although he's not a net negative player, his AAV tanks his value. Ideally, you have a player like Myers on your 3rd pair but no team can afford to pay 6M to a 5th D-man.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Myers is playing like a top 4 D for us.  Holtby right now is a very overpaid nothing special 30+ year old backup.  Unless Holtby ups his game, if I were Seattle, I’d know who I would pick.

I agree, more or less. Holtby at only one year left on his current deal doesn't seem to be that attractive an option for Seattle, but he does fill the requirement that the Canucks must meet for his position at the draft.

I'm thinking it will indeed depend on things like cap, the number of other d-men who Seattle may value (for whatever reasons) over Myers. I'm still holding out hope on the Canucks picking up a d-man for cheap (Bowey?) who can fulfill the requirements for the draft and allow Myers to be one of the three defensemen who will be protected. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle 

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus