The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | March 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, CBC, NHLN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Orr did it..........

Orr played all sixty minutes of the game, minus two minutes spent in the penalty box, and already displayed an ability to control the puck and the game that he would later be notable for in his professional career. At the age of fourteen the Boston Bruins signed Orr into their organization for $2,800.

They also used to drink beer, eat a couple burgers and smoke a half pack before the game.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

He didn't say anything but Kevin Woodley said that Ian clarkes likely leaving the team if he still hasn't signed.

and Kevin knows everything? ya right. those are just his ramblings

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, I am all about balanced lines and a balanced attack. Stick to Stacking the lines on the PP and spread them out 5 on 5. 

Petey belongs on the first line with Miller and Boeser, and Hoglander back with Bo! the lotto line needs to stay together!

1 hour ago, apollo said:

So proud of the boys... 

4-1 now without our franchise center... 

Calder Myers rising big time last night. 

Jim has spoiled us far too much. Long live the great Jim Benning! 

Where the trolls at btw? Omaageeueuurdd Benning didn't give Marky 6x6?! What a bum! Ooohhnmmhhgueeerdd :lol:

The trolls are focusing on the no time out called by Greener. Hahahahahaha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The puck was loose and bouncing around that mess like a pinball.  You could see it in the overhead shot

It took so long I looked over at my boy and said "I'd laugh if this goes in and if it does I'm cracking another Pil". Lol, sooo good. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Game within the game. The Horvat line was huge. Pearson and Virtanen had solid games. I think Jake has to be more of a trigger man as his shot is superior. I think he looks for the play to much. His corner work is superior. How many times did he set up point shots. Pearson has a history of ppg droughts and he cannot buy a goal. If he and Virt broke out the Canucks would be a different team.

No way I can agree with a #1 PP playing an entire 2 minutes. IMO it cannot be justified as it erodes team unity. This is not a serious playoff team and sacrificing the #2 PP is very bad development. 

Demko won the game and was the d-side anchor. Elder and Meyers stood out. All the anti Meyers stuff is ???? Even with Hughes ppg I think Meyers has been the all around best d-man. Benn played better but he should still rotate with OJ. I expect him gone by the TDL. 

Don't recall if it was Hank or Danny Sedin. One of them said about Jake that Jake has all the tools.... It's not enough to have all the tools you have to bring them to the table. Besides that most of us know that he hasn't all the tools, because he's lacking the work ethic necessary to be a Top 6 guy that's contributing on the score sheet. I am tired of having this discussion over and over again. 24 year old forward and Canucks are still waiting for his breakthrough, still waiting that he becomes an every night guy. Consistency and the right mindset can't be learnt.

I recommend to watch Myer's defensive play, especially his positioning, man coverage, taking stupid penalties .. in the coming games. Maybe this is going to change your mind once you focused more on Myers's play in his own zone. Yes: I like that he joins the rush, I like that he brings the puck to the net, I like his size and reach. But there are so many other things that need to be taken into consideration.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bell said:

Great win boys,  I am really not sure how the mosh pit goal was allowed.  We will take and move on.  Lets fkn go 

I'm assuming it was a ref, but someone was shouting about a penalty shot, presumably if one of the coil closed their hand on the puck.  Maybe that kept the play alive long enough to push it over the line.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty much goes for most teams.... MTL without Price, CGY without.. what was that guys name again? 

True, without great goaltending, teams won't win. Canucks played a good, gutsy game. I was also impressed with how Edler played against McDavid. Canucks are 4-1 without Pettersson, and 2 games coming up against OTT.  They could gain some ground.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just a few things to consider by coaches when making decisions on starting goalies on back to back games.

Rest is tantamount for players during this condensed NHL season. The need is most pronounced perhaps when it comes to goalies.

The 56-game, intradivisional schedule doesn't have much downtime, limiting the time for goalies to get off the ice and allow for physical and mental recovery.

With teams looking to exploit every advantage, the resting of starting goalies might become even more commonplace as the season progresses.

Kurt wrote an excellent article a couple of days ago noting that goalies playing on a second consecutive night have a save percentage much lower than goalies who have at least one off day between games. Goalies playing for the second consecutive game had an average save percentage of .892, versus .912 if they had at least one day off.

Team playing back-to-back Games started Saves made Shots faced Save percentage
Goalie played previous game 97 2340 2624 .892
Goalie rested previous game 106 2719 2982 .912

This difference is enormous, and would basically mean that no goalie should ever start back-to-back games

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I recommend to watch Myer's defensive play, especially his positioning, man coverage, taking stupid penalties .. in the coming games. Maybe this is going to change your mind once you focused more on Myers's play in his own zone. Yes: I like that he joins the rush, I like that he brings the puck to the net, I like his size and reach. But there are so many other things that need to be taken into consideration.

Myers overall game has been solid most of the year 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Myers overall game has been solid most of the year 

When a player like Meyers winds up for a shot where does the tender focus, especially if he shots on the fly? Sure, he struggles in the d-zone at times but IMHO he is a legit 2nd pairing dman. There were times last night that the entire Canuck group were collapsing down on Demko. They were very lucky that some of those shots didn't hit the net. I suspect  a good number of Oiler shots were not seen by Demko.