The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | March 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, CBC, NHLN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm not interested in Tierney for a range of reasons.

Not interested in spending the asset to acquire him.

Not interested in acquiring one year of term.

Not a strong enough faceoff guy - at 46.3% (career under 50%).

Not a physical presence (7 hits).

I want a heavier, harder to play against guy that at least wins the majority of his faceoffs.

As a secondary scoring center, he might make more sense, but that's not what I'd be looking for at this stage - and as his minutes get harder in Ottawa, we see his production dip accordingly.  A bit further along in this transition, maybe, but bottom line - for me - just not the time to be buying an asset like him - particularly when there are guys like Sutter, Lowry, Richardson, Thompson, etc expiring - at no assets cost.

If I were going to target a Senator and spend an asset - it would have been for Nick Paul.

My guess is Paul will be protected.

Lowry is top of my wish list but we will have competition for him too. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, sockeye said:

I'm thinking that, one of the reasons OJ is not playing (besides the solid play of Hamonic and Benn) is the Expansion Draft issue.  Mind you, I like how OJ has progressed and I think he will be a regular next year.  If OJ played more than half the season, correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't he have to be listed as one of our three protected D in the Kraken Expansion Draft (i.e. we wouldn't leave him unprotected)?   Here are the Vegas Expansion Draft rules which, from what I've heard, will be the template for the Kraken ED:

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-draft-full-rules/c-289403076 

It would be ridiculous to not protect a young defenceman like OJ who looks like he'll have a promising career.

Actually OJ already needs expansion protection. So the reasons hes sitting are coaching unless there's some physical/conditioning thing going on we dont know about.

As it stamds now its Chatfield that needs games to qualify for exposure, or we need to extend Hamonic or Benn otherwise we have to expose Nate or Myers.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Actually OJ already needs expansion protection. So the reasons hes sitting are coaching unless there's some physical/conditioning thing going on we dont know about.

As it stamds now its Chatfield that needs games to qualify for exposure, or we need to extend Hamonic or Benn otherwise we have to expose Nate or Myers.

Chatfield and Juolevi are in the exact same boat. OJ actually needs less games to meet the exposure requirement.

But, you are correct in that if we protect Schmidt and Myers, we need to acquire someone who meets said requirement (or play OJ or Chatfield in the games they require).

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Chatfield and Juolevi are in the exact same boat. OJ actually needs less games to meet the exposure requirement.

But, you are correct in that if we protect Schmidt and Myers, we need to acquire someone who meets said requirement (or play OJ or Chatfield in the games they require).

Sorry should have been clearer - i think some people think OJ isnt eligible due to lack of games.

I suspect we will extend Hamonic tho he seems to be settling in well now.

30 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Well, we have the goalie. I don’t think that anyone is suggesting that build is finished. In the meantime if Demmer steals us a bunch of games I’m a pretty happy camper.

Not saying you shouldn't enjoy the win or anything.

But all the "sniveling" (as you put it in your OP i quoted) is from people pointing that this team has flaws that are being masked by spectacular and likely unsustainable goaltending.

We were a better team last year both statistically and on paper, Demko played about as well as you could hope a goalie would play vs Vegas, and we still lost. That's just where I'm coming from when people overlook how this team is constructed.

I understand that the "build" isn't finished yet but I feel like people underestimate how far we are. I know people hate to read something like this after a win, but it's a discussion board after all :)

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, combover said:

Lol 

the only reason it wasn’t a blow out again is the goaltender. What a great “plan” 

So better not extend the leagues best goalie coach.

It’ll be good when the worst gm in franchise history is fired.

BDF156D7-FA25-488D-978A-A7CF39B745B4.jpeg

Oh come on! Stop raggin on the Sens gm. Did that win hurt your feelings?

• Cheers 1