Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

I wonder if Domi would be a buy low option to look at. A bit pricey at 5.3 million for next season for what he's showing right now, but perhaps it's just not the right setting for him. They acquired him for Josh Anderson, so perhaps they could look at someone like Virtanen as part of the return.

 

He and Horvat are buddies from back to their London days, so I'd be curious what the asking price would be from Columbus and if it would be worth it. It would be a potential shot to the arm for the top 6.

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is he's a skill/offensive first center and we already have EP and Bo to do that.

 

What we desperately need is a top end bottom-6 C that you can rely on to not drown under tough minutes, and perhaps even put up some offense (not an easy player to find, but that is what we need).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

3 teams in 6 seasons?  "Character guy"

 

Makes you wonder...

He was traded because of character issues.  Can’t speak to Arizona but Montreal traded him because of contract issues and the fact that Anderson became available.  Bergevin had coveted Anderson for a long time.  He’s struggling in Columbus under Torts.  Not a surprise. A lot of players are, including Laine and previously PLD
 

Also. Domi and Horvat are very close friends. Could be a good fit. 
 

id expect they’d want a much better player than Virtanen in return though.  Domi’s best season was 72 points. Outlier or not, it still speaks to his skill and potential 

7FF358EE-24A0-43CA-B7F5-92B13EB861E3.png

Edited by qwijibo
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Problem is he's a skill/offensive first center and we already have EP and Bo to do that.

 

What we desperately need is a top end bottom-6 C that you can rely on to not drown under tough minutes, and perhaps even put up some offense (not an easy player to find, but that is what we need).

Lowry

not sure of availability but his dad played here

he must feel connected by the imbilical chord

HOME TOWN DISCOUNT

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would flippin Love to get Domi. 

 

No way Torts want's Virtanen. Not a chance. Me thinks any deal to get him involves Hoglander + so I would walk away. 

Edited by hammertime
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

any deal to get him involves Hoglander +

I wouldn't trade Hoglander straight up for Domi.

I know Domi has a longer resume, while still being young, but I believe Hoglander will have the better career.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wouldn't trade Hoglander straight up for Domi.

I know Domi has a longer resume, while still being young, but I believe Hoglander will have the better career.

Oh for sure! I guess that wasn't clear in my post edited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wouldn't trade Hoglander straight up for Domi.

I know Domi has a longer resume, while still being young, but I believe Hoglander will have the better career.

I tend to agree even though Domi would be a long-term fit on Horvat's wing although he has stated that he adamant about playing C. Honestly, if you're an NHL hockey player and you're getting paid like one you should play where the team wants you to play to give your team the best chance of winning. I think that Domi's attitude could be a problem although I hate to say it for a guy that has diabetes and plays through it like a chance. I'm not saying he isn't a character individual but at the same time sometimes you've got to swallow a pill to make the team better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Problem is he's a skill/offensive first center and we already have EP and Bo to do that.

 

What we desperately need is a top end bottom-6 C that you can rely on to not drown under tough minutes, and perhaps even put up some offense (not an easy player to find, but that is what we need).

Scott Laughton UFA  Canucks will have to pay him more to get him, but will stay be way less than Domi.  Just a year older than Max and will likely get around $3.5-4m X5.  Tough as nails, relentless, great defensive skill and solid offensive upside.  Get er done Jim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder if Domi would be a buy low option to look at. A bit pricey at 5.3 million for next season for what he's showing right now, but perhaps it's just not the right setting for him. They acquired him for Josh Anderson, so perhaps they could look at someone like Virtanen as part of the return.

 

He and Horvat are buddies from back to their London days, so I'd be curious what the asking price would be from Columbus and if it would be worth it. It would be a potential shot to the arm for the top 6.

With Virtanen as the main piece of the deal? Like Virtanen + 2nd? I'd definitely think about it.

 

Trade Pearson by the TDL for a 2nd rounder. Flip that pick and Virtanen for Domi would be a decent deal. 

 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Domi-Horvat-Hoglander

 

Gives us strong scoring lines. Horvat line gets a playmaker in Domi and a puck hog in Hoglander.

 

But I would visit this in the offseason if we can't find a better replacement for Pearson through trades/UFA.

 

On the second thought, Virtanen would enter Torts' doghouse from day 1. I doubt CBJ wants Virtanen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Problem is he's a skill/offensive first center and we already have EP and Bo to do that.

 

What we desperately need is a top end bottom-6 C that you can rely on to not drown under tough minutes, and perhaps even put up some offense (not an easy player to find, but that is what we need).

While listed as a center, he seems more suited for the wing. He's about as good of a faceoff man as EP right now which is why Miller takes most of the draws on that line. Domi would pair well with Horvat and would be a good alternative to take a face off if Bo is waived out.

 

I agree that a bottom 6 center is another need, but we could use some offense as well and we wouldn't need to re-sign Pearson in this case if all things work out.

 

With that said, Jasek and even Lind has been playing center and have actually fared decently at the AHL level. In Jasek's case, when he was on loan in the Czech league, he started to flourish when moved to center. I think we may have some internal options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but too many questions about him.........I have heard attitude problems

 

I am more interested in Lawry or Laughton, as we have Podkolzin coming in to fill in on the top 2 lines

 

Either one of these 2 guys fills a real need, and will come cheaper

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

While listed as a center, he seems more suited for the wing. He's about as good of a faceoff man as EP right now which is why Miller takes most of the draws on that line. Domi would pair well with Horvat and would be a good alternative to take a face off if Bo is waived out.

 

I agree that a bottom 6 center is another need, but we could use some offense as well and we wouldn't need to re-sign Pearson in this case if all things work out.

 

With that said, Jasek and even Lind has been playing center and have actually fared decently at the AHL level. In Jasek's case, when he was on loan in the Czech league, he started to flourish when moved to center. I think we may have some internal options.

I disagree about him as a winger. I think he plays better at C.

 

That said, perhaps it works with him on Bo's wing. Did they play on the same line in London?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, khay said:

 

 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Domi-Horvat-Hoglander

 

Gives us strong scoring lines. Horvat line gets a playmaker in Domi and a puck hog in Hoglander.

I

 

I don't think that Domi is an improvement over Pearson on that spot.  Maybe over hoglander?  The top 6 can't rely on Miller to throw punches regularly eh! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I disagree about him as a winger. I think he plays better at C.

 

That said, perhaps it works with him on Bo's wing. Did they play on the same line in London?

"Individually they both played solid hockey in junior but as linemates, the duo was an unstoppable force. Together they helped lead the Knights to back-to-back OHL championships in 2012 and 2013. With Domi glued to Horvat’s wing, the two were a nightmare for the opposition."

 

https://thecanuckway.com/2020/09/11/canucks-max-domi-would-be-a-perfect-fit-with-bo-horvat/

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

"Individually they both played solid hockey in junior but as linemates, the duo was an unstoppable force. Together they helped lead the Knights to back-to-back OHL championships in 2012 and 2013. With Domi glued to Horvat’s wing, the two were a nightmare for the opposition."

 

https://thecanuckway.com/2020/09/11/canucks-max-domi-would-be-a-perfect-fit-with-bo-horvat/

 

 

This dude is suggesting we trade Boeser for Domi.

 

"Montreal needs help on the right-wing and that’s a position of strength for Vancouver. Brock Boeser would likely be enough in a straight across one for one deal, but I can’t see Benning agreeing to such demands and it likely doesn’t improve Vancouver’s scoring ability."

 

Although he realizes that's too steep a price for JB.

 

42 minutes ago, CoquitlamDave said:

I don't think that Domi is an improvement over Pearson on that spot.  Maybe over hoglander?  The top 6 can't rely on Miller to throw punches regularly eh! 

Hmm, I think Domi is an improvement scoring wise. 

 

At this point, I've come to accept that Bo is a scoring line center with decent two way game and perhaps not a Selke level player that dominates both ends of the ice.

 

Re-uniting Domi with Bo will only improve Bo and Domi's scoring rate.

 

And Domi can throw a punch (re: Ekblad, although that was a bit of a sucker punch).

 

We need a 3rd line center similar to Malholtra did for Kesler to free up Bo to focus more on scoring.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, khay said:

This dude is suggesting we trade Boeser for Domi.

 

"Montreal needs help on the right-wing and that’s a position of strength for Vancouver. Brock Boeser would likely be enough in a straight across one for one deal, but I can’t see Benning agreeing to such demands and it likely doesn’t improve Vancouver’s scoring ability."

 

Although he realizes that's too steep a price for JB.

 

Hmm, I think Domi is an improvement scoring wise. 

 

At this point, I've come to accept that Bo is a scoring line center with decent two way game and perhaps not a Selke level player that dominates both ends of the ice.

 

Re-uniting Domi with Bo will only improve Bo and Domi's scoring rate.

 

And Domi can throw a punch (re: Ekblad, although that was a bit of a sucker punch).

 

We need a 3rd line center similar to Malholtra did for Kesler to free up Bo to focus more on scoring.

 

Is the guy you’re quoting under the impression that Domi still plays for Montreal? Lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...