The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jake Gardiner

8 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Carolina's d corp is absolutely filthy. So much depth and talent. 

Probably one of the reasons why Forsling had so much trouble breaking into that lineup.  He's at least now cheap taxi squad material for the Panthers (getting some action in at the NHL level).

1 hour ago, Father Ryan said:

This makes a lot of sense. We lose 6M off the cap, and get a little more flexibility in who we protect. I seriously doubt that Seattle would take him anyway. If I was the Seattle GM, looking at our roster and trying to figure out who to grab, I'd probably go after Lind or Gaudette. Both young, some room still to improve and not much of a cap hit. I think Holtby was signed to be able to have a goalie exposed, and maybe an asset we could afford to lose.

I don't think the Seattle GM is going to pick Lind, Gaudette, or Holtby over Myers. Myers is at worst 2.0 to 1.5 mil overpaid, at a reasonable length remaining, and still playing at a top 4 dman level. Seattle's not going to be having any cap issues starting at 0 and, if anything, there's the concern of hitting the cap floor. Also there's the allure of his size and him being a veteran on a team which will likely be a lot younger. I think he's still a better trading chip and expansion draft pick than Lind, Gaudette, and Holtby as well if they want to flip him. I think it will be a similar situation to when Vegas chose Sbisa over Gaunce.

Lind has spent his entire ELC in the AHL, I think there are concerns if he's even an NHL player. The Canucks were right to essentially hide him in the AHL this year, if he played some games he might've actually garnered interest. Holtby has not been good. I'm confident there are at least going to be 3 exposed goalies that are better than him. Holtby essentially killed whatever value he had with the season he's had with us + his poor play in the last couple seasons with the Caps. Gaudette, maybe. I think he's performed so poorly this season that he won't be picked. He's a centre who doesn't seem to have the strength to stay on his feet, he does poorly on face-offs, he's one of our worst forwards defensively, and he doesn't produce enough offense to make up for it. I was hoping he'd take step forwards defensively this year but that hasn't been the case. Although I don't think he's been used as effectively as he should (I'd like to see a line of Motte Horvat Gaudette), I also don't think he's shown enough to get picked.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

still cracks me up how badly the noobs on 650 wanted this guy :picard:

Unfortunately, I’ll have to admit that I wanted him as well.   Back in 2019 when we signed Myers, my hope was that we’d sign both Gardiner and Myers so that we’d basically have six top four pairing quality dmen (I drew a comparison to our 2011 dman set up).

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Unfortunately, I’ll have to admit that I wanted him as well.   Back in 2019 when we signed Myers, my hope was that we’d sign both Gardiner and Myers so that we’d basically have six top four pairing quality dmen (I drew a comparison to our 2011 dman set up).

What had Gardiner done to show you that he was an NHL quality defenseman, let alone a top 4?  He'd cost Toronto multiple playoff series thanks to his complete lack of any hockey sense in his own zone; he was such a liability that most of his assists were on the other team's goals.  He's Pouliot level bad defensively, which simply isn't acceptable at any level.  Probably best to not send him to the NHL and give the icetime to players who have some hope of being useful in the future instead.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

still cracks me up how badly the noobs on 650 wanted this guy :picard:

Remember the debates whether we should go after Myers or Gardiner?  Or who was the best D UFA that year? Hmmm...well I do.   Didn't age well did it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

At least your honest.   I don't remember what i said other then Myers was the prize by far  - and probably some stupid stuff too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

At least your honest.   I don't remember what i said other then Myers was the prize by far  - and probably some stupid stuff too. 

Pretty sure I called out the Gardiner signing as a mistake and suggested that Gardiner would be finishing his contract in the AHL where he belongs.

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What had Gardiner done to show you that he was an NHL quality defenseman, let alone a top 4?  He'd cost Toronto multiple playoff series thanks to his complete lack of any hockey sense in his own zone; he was such a liability that most of his assists were on the other team's goals.  He's Pouliot level bad defensively, which simply isn't acceptable at any level.  Probably best to not send him to the NHL and give the icetime to players who have some hope of being useful in the future instead.

At the time, I saw Gardiner as a guy who would be a really good bottom pairing guy that could easily step into a Top 4 role in case of injuries.   At the time, I always felt that 1-2 key injuries to our defense always made us collapse and I felt that guys like Gardiner and Myers would serve as insurance policies.

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Gardiner-Myers

Was what I had in mind at the time if I recall correctly.   I May have even had Gardiner/Myers and Hughes/Tanev switched up as I felt that Hughes might have needed more time to acclimate to the NHL.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

Remember the debates whether we should go after Myers or Gardiner?  Or who was the best D UFA that year? Hmmm...well I do.   Didn't age well did it. 

I honestly don't. Whatever I said I was hacked. Unless it was good, then that was me. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

At the time, I saw Gardiner as a guy who would be a really good bottom pairing guy that could easily step into a Top 4 role in case of injuries.   At the time, I always felt that 1-2 key injuries to our defense always made us collapse and I felt that guys like Gardiner and Myers would serve as insurance policies.

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Gardiner-Myers

Was what I had in mind at the time if I recall correctly.   I May have even had Gardiner/Myers and Hughes/Tanev switched up as I felt that Hughes might have needed more time to acclimate to the NHL.

I'm not sure if  Gardiner would be waived if he was on our team - CAR just has that many good defenseman ...that said i don't know how he's been playing either - it could also be and ED thing where they need to check out other options.   The fact he cleared waivers says it all though .... some of the talk was 5-6x6 for him .... he ended up with a much smaller deal then anticipated.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Carolina's d corp is absolutely filthy. So much depth and talent. 

Not only that but at great tax advantaged cap hits as well.   People talk about how Colorado could be the next power house but Carolina isn’t that far behind imo (if they are even behind).

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not sure if  Gardiner would be waived if he was on our team - CAR just has that many good defenseman ...that said i don't know how he's been playing either - it could also be and ED thing where they need to check out other options.   The fact he cleared waivers says it all though .... some of the talk was 5-6x6 for him .... he ended up with a much smaller deal then anticipated.   

Who does he beat out of Schmidt, Edler, Hughes, Myers, Harmonic, Benn, OJ, Chatfield, or Briesbrois?  He'd have trouble making the Comets unless he suddenly learned how to play defense.