The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 15, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I see Demko playing both games against the Senators. The question is, which out of the two Canadiens games does Holtby get. I don’t see them going with Demko for both of the back-to-back games, either.

I'd give Holtby the Friday game and let Demko have Saturday, giving him an extra day off.

This is serious...i mean its the battle of the bottom...who will finish last? hmm.... i hear a tank rolling in the distance.... And where the f is EP40? if u cant fight fir playoffs at least give us some entertainment, some dynamic plays and skillled moves...if not. Let Hog dig in and grind them to the bone by sheer will. Im happy either way. Should be an easy win either way considerin sens played yesterday. :emot-parrot:

If Petey has been dealing with some nagging injury through this season then let's make sure he is 100%.

No use screwing up a young star to try and and make a comeback in a season that is a lost cause.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Hasek has 6 Vezinas, more than any of those guys. Had a case for 8 in a row which would have given him the most of all-time. The only guys in Hasek's category when it comes to Vezinas are Plante, Durnan and Dryen who won all theirs in a 6-10 team league (not downplaying their accomplishemnts or ability, just that it was easier to win it just based on numbers).

Also one of only 7 goalies to win a Hart, which none of those guys did. Also the only goalie to win it twice.

I can't really speak to Sawchuk as that well before my time and the league was much different, but Hasek's overall stats are better than both Roy and Brodeur. Really the only thing Hasek needed was a better team in his prime like Brodeur and Roy had.

If Hasek was Canadian, he'd get a lot more respect. But that's not a new story; he's not the only non-Canadian to not get the respect he deserves simply because he's not Canadian.

Nobody had a ~decade long peak like Hasek.

Guy was incredible.   I'd have him third ... Sawchuk gets the nod based on what the guys who followed hockey over both periods ... throw a handful of rice at him and he'd stop every grain lol.    He's got the stats to back it up too now that sp has been mostly done during his play time ... and what he did one series has never been duplicated. 

7 hours ago, lmm said:

the way I look at it is that we need to go .700 the rest of the way to be basically tied with Montreal at 64 points

64 is what a team playing ,574 (montreal is in 4th playing .574)

It does not matter who ends out in 5th but we need to get to there to be in.

.700 is 7 wins in 10 games

we have 25 games left, so for ease of figuring, 7/10-7/10 3.5/5 gets us there.

so, here goes, 

first 10 - beat Ottawa twice, split Montreal and Winnipeg, beat Calgary and Edmonton, split Winnipeg

the next 10- beat Calgary twice, Split Edmonton and Toronto, take 3 or 4 from Ottawa

final 5-split with Toronto, beat Edmonton, pick up a loser point against Edmonton, beat Calgary

Montreal for 63 points ( I think they hold firtst tie breaker)

5.5/10   - 5.5/10-   5/9

first ten, split Winnipeg, split Vancouver, split Edmonton(3) (including an OTL)take 2/3 from Ottawa

next ten, beat Ottawa , lose to Edmonton, OTL Toronto, split Winnipeg, beat Toronto, Split Calgary, Split Edmonton

last nine, take 2/3 in Calgary, lose to Toronto, beat Winnipeg, beat Ottawa, take 1/3 against Toronto

for Edmonton to get 63 points, they need to get 27 points fron 26 games

5/10-     5/10-     3.5/6

first ten Split Calgary then Winnipeg, take 2/3 from Montreal (incliding an OT win), split Toronto, Lose to Calgary

next ten, lose to Vancouver, beat Montreal, split Ottawa, Split Vancouver, beat Winnipeg, Split Montreal, Lose to Winnipeg

Last six, Lose to Winnipeg, Split Calgary, split Vancouver (both in OT) Beat Calgary

Calgary is 5-10 against Vancouver/Edmonton and Montreal, so they win all the rest of their games 

they take 3rd with 65 points

hahaha

because... it could happen 

I think Sutter will get the most out of Calgary that there is. Marky probably carries them into the playoffs. Canucks simply give up to many shots. That said I think their d-side game is improving. I might be simply over optimistic which is likely. Actually hope that it is clear by April 12th that they are out. That will give JB the ability to deal some vets off. Finish the year with more TOI to the prospects.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Guy was incredible.   I'd have him third ... Sawchuk gets the nod based on what the guys who followed hockey over both periods ... throw a handful of rice at him and he'd stop every grain lol.    He's got the stats to back it up too now that sp has been mostly done during his play time ... and what he did one series has never been duplicated. 

What Sawchuk did in his era is unbelievable. When you consider all the support that tenders get today, even in the Hasak era, Sawchuk was incredible. Always struggling with health but still produced. 

• Upvote 1

Ottawa doesn't look like the team we played at the beginning of the season - they have stepped it up - can't take them lightly.  And I also saw Thatpuke  following in his sleazy brothers foot steps.

We can do this though - just carry on with the same mentality as the Sat game

Go Canucks Go

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What Sawchuk did in his era is unbelievable. When you consider all the support that tenders get today, even in the Hasak era, Sawchuk was incredible. Always struggling with health but still produced. 

Yes...his shutout to game ratio is unbelievable too.   And he played in six man league where only the best of the very best could break in.   Bower's AHL prowess and NHL prowess to me kind of proved the guys in the other pro league were also pretty darn good ... every team pretty much had an ace in net back then ... look at Plante.   And later in his career Bower.  Those three guys were absolutely incredible goalies.   Hockey historians haven't gone all the way back in Sawchuk sp yet ... but some of the ones these guys posted were just unreal.

As for Hasek.   Hard to find a couple of years where one goalie was just that good ... the only criticism i'd have was the era he was playing in - dead puck - for sure made it a little easier on him.   That said he did it - and was the master flopper.  Hrudey flopped all over the place - and had some Hasekodian like games for sure - that said Hasek was ridiculously good at the second third fourth shot if it came to that.   I'd be hard pressed to take Hasek before Roy having watched every game in the 93 series.   That team was slightly above average - that might even be generous.   I'd say average for the time period.   Every team they beat was better then them in most or even all positions except one - goaltending.    LA looked to have finally broke their run... up a game and leading late in the third to go up 2-0...McSorely wow.   Poor Hrudey lol (who i also liked - he was actually a decent goalie for his era too - had the "it" factor for big games ... sometimes)...

Then OT OT OT OT .... ten OT playoff wins is a record as but as Wayne Gretzky's total point total.  Safe forever. 

Hasek was great no doubt.   From what i've read about Bower, Plante and Sawchuk, these guys were otherworldly too and have to respect the THN all time rankings because of who was in it, guys who actually watched all these guys play, around the turn of the century - and which had been updated since... 

Sawchuk is still number one ... Hasek sits at 5 or 6 have to double check. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

Ottawa doesn't look like the team we played at the beginning of the season - they have stepped it up - can't take them lightly.  And I also saw Thatpuke  following in his sleazy brothers foot steps.

We can do this though - just carry on with the same mentality as the Sat game

Go Canucks Go

Stutzle is starting to be a major difference maker 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I think Sutter will get the most out of Calgary that there is. Marky probably carries them into the playoffs. Canucks simply give up to many shots. That said I think their d-side game is improving. I might be simply over optimistic which is likely. Actually hope that it is clear by April 12th that they are out. That will give JB the ability to deal some vets off. Finish the year with more TOI to the prospects.

Yes me too.   As much as i'm enjoying the turn around - which has been something - i would rather the team keeps on the path that JB set last off season.   Playoffs again would of course be awesome - but the team needs more of what we've had since BB came in.   Hard to do that picking in the middle of the draft - extremely hard past 22 or so ... 

Yes whomever we get this year won't be ready for at least one year (unless by some miracle we win the lottery and draft Power), but we need more in the pipe to boost what we have.   Second rounders are crap shoots - but they do work out 50/50 of the time for some games at least and you just never do know.    So Pearson.   Thanks for the memories.   We can do better anyways. Sutter is harder to replace - prefer we signed him with the intention to replace Beagle long term.   Sorry folks but to have depth at C it's going to cost you.   Vegas for example had Stastny burried in the bottom six - a lot of fourth line time actually...Thornton for a year would be nice but let's face it we are not TO and never will be.    7 million tied up in your bottom six C's isn't so bad now and don't expect that to change until we draft more C's....we need another blue chip top four D in the pipe and a third line C (soon) that can eventually replace Horvat.   

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Especially sad when you read about his struggles with his inner demons.  Not that they’ve remotely figured things out with respect to mental health today but back then?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Especially sad when you read about his struggles with his inner demons.  Not that they’ve remotely figured things out with respect to mental health today but back then?

Not to mention what he managed with his gimpy arms... And agree imagine being in the NHL and suffering like that ... think it might of been Hall who had such anxiety that he threw up before every game on purpose or because he couldn't stop it ... one of those greats anyways.   Boys don't cry and all that.  Harvey too.   

• Cheers 1