Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 15, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

See, this isnt out of the question..

 

But I do believe Green has the ultimate power of who his assistants are.

 

Baumer and Brown are here to stay as long as Green is IMO. Unless Green wants a change.

JB needs to give him an ultimatum, either fire those two or get the F out with them.

Also give whatever Baumer is making to Ian Clarke, he is essentially our defensive coach for all intent and purposes.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I'm glad there were no 3 point games. 

Really needed Jets to win though. I don't think they'll tank enough to miss the playoffs. 

I can see the Oilers missing though... 

Just don't want Cgy to grab that spot.

Those 2 back to back games we lost to the Oilers hurts... 

That first game was huge.  We were up 3-0.  If we had won that game we may have had the momentum to win the next one as well.  Take 2 wins away from Edmonton and add 2 wins to the Canucks and we are 3rd in the division instead of 6th.  Those 2 games could be the difference in making the playoffs this year.

 

Too bad Demko wasn't playing then like he is now.  There is no way Demko loses a 3-0 lead and lets in 4 goals playing the way he's playing now.  Unfortunately our schedule screwed us, as we played way too many games in the first two months.  With a full week off at the end of this months maybe that helps us to really do well in April.  We will see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

About a month ago, when we started playing better, we lost a handful of games we probably deserved to win.

 

I think over the last little streak here, things have evened out, where we've won a few games that we didn't deserve to.

 

Even if this goaltending is unsustainable, obviously it's great to see how well Demko's playing.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Its a win got 2 points but unfortunately didn’t climb the ladder up the standings.

 

Damn U Habs and Flamers.

9A6D9552-FB6D-4A7D-B5FF-6AFE9C005CB7.gif

we gained on edmoton, silver lining?

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely disgusting game by the Canucks, they should really feel ashamed for that performance. I know Ottawa just beat Toronto and are on a bit of a high, but the Sens hit the post about 4 times and deserved 6 goals against any other average NHL goalie. We were coughing up pucks right in the slot, not defending slot shots, getting beaten wide all night long and it wasn't just one or two guys, it was our whole lineup. One of the sloppiest games of the season, back to the bad defending habits we had at the start of the season and we got lucky to walk away with 2 points here.

 

Top line were brilliant, Miller is much better as a natural center and when Petey comes back he should slot in on the wing. Boeser didn't do much but Hoglander and Miller were buzzing at times. 

 

Pearson and Horvat were working hard again tonight, nice smart goal by Pearson (sounded like he called for the puck) which is well over-due but Virtanen just doesn't fit there. I've said it before and I'll say it again - give the chance to Gaudette. Gaudette had 2 A-grade scoring chances playing with plugs for linemates and is snakebitten at the moment, but at least he's generating those chances. The only thing that stuck out for me for Virtanen was where he tried to dangle a guy at the offensive blueline, gives it up and it leads to an odd-man rush the other way against Benn and a good scoring opportunity against. This characterized our first 10-20 games stupid defensive awareness and it looks like it's still there. Miller did this a lot in his first few games and he's knocked it out of his system but we can't get back to these high-risk low-reward plays at our offensive blueline. Swap Virtanen and Gaudette, simple.

 

3rd line was brilliant tonight, Sutter and Hawryluk are some hard working players and they combined for a gritty goal, so it's nice to see them get rewarded. 4th line were invisible/average. 

 

On defence we were absolutely garbage from top to bottom. I rarely pick out Edler because he's usually so solid but he looked slow tonight against a fast young team, giving pucks away and caught flat footed a lot of the time. Schmidt and Myers had the best games on defence but as a collective unit we were just terrible, too many bad clearances, brutal giveaways and zone marking where a man just slipped through 2-3 guys to get a good shot on net. Most frustrating is that just about all of our players were getting beaten when taken wide with speed, I think it happened about 3 times, and that lead to a Sens player right in on net. As a defence that just can't happen. I get players take Hughes on a lot because he's small and can't fight them off, but these are the rest of our D and they're just getting beaten too easily.

 

As for Demko, nothing to be said - without him, this is a 6-2 game easily. Holtby probably makes it 8-2. The Sens had 40+ shots and IMO 10 A-grade scoring opportunities, lots of posts but a lot of massive chances that Demko had no right saving but his positioning was perfect. The thing with Demko is he's great at recovering, rarely gives up rebounds, pucks stick to him but whenever he does he usually moves right back into position and swallows the 2nd chance. The two goals were quick passes and shots, unlucky to not be able to save them, we really should have cleared the 1st goal after it hit the post but our defence were caught flat footed and puck-watching all night long so no surprise. 

 

On the whole, rubbish game by the whole team but individual performances (Miller and Demko mainly) drag us across the line in a lucky game. We need points desperately and can't afford to lose the next Ottawa game so have to come out much stronger and not just assume that it's a guaranteed 2 points.

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Demko steals another one 

 

outplayed by a team that played yesterday 

 

take the win but we have to play tighter

 

that looked like a game between 2 very bad teams. Atrocious giveaways by both teams 

 

jake and hogs were solid, d was solid 

 

Pearson finally woke up  

 

Miller was playing his worst game of the year until he scored

@debluvscanucks want to get your checklist of excuses used from about page 6/7 I think we can cross some off here.
 

You should make it a bingo board so we can dab along with the comments as they come in

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Hughes, even an in off year, is capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone, something Barrie has never been able to do.  Replace Baumer with a real coach and most of the issues go away entirely, unlike Barrie who has played like absolute garbage under numerous coaches, including some who excel at implementing a good defensive system.  Demko probably does end up making more; we want to lock him up long-term in order to put off UFA status.

there are only 2 goalies ever getting a contract that suggests demko would be getting anything north of 5 million, lunqvidst and bobrovsky, they also both played at least 2 seasons as the starter before the contract too. matt murray had 81 games of starter experience and only got 3.75million, vasilevskiy had 50 games, 3.5 million. no goalie has ever got a 6 year deal with the amount of games played similar to demko's, in fact the longest has been 3 years. i would expect demko to sign a 2-3 year deal worth between 3.5-4 million, but that's only if he finishes the season with a +.920 save percentage

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy with the win, a dub always helps improve your day no matter how ugly. But I can't help but feel the implications of squeezing out wins with the otherworldly goaltending strategy is having zero benefit in helping our team improve long term. I understand it's a pandemic year and the coaching staff is going to remain employed, but what's the point? This type of play and system is not helping the team moving forward and develop in any sense. I still really cannot believe we gave up 46 shots to Ottawa, who were coming off a back to back. But happy nonetheless for the team and the fans, we really have something extraordinary in Demko 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely disgusting game by the Canucks, they should really feel ashamed for that performance. I know Ottawa just beat Toronto and are on a bit of a high, but the Sens hit the post about 4 times and deserved 6 goals against any other average NHL goalie. We were coughing up pucks right in the slot, not defending slot shots, getting beaten wide all night long and it wasn't just one or two guys, it was our whole lineup. One of the sloppiest games of the season, back to the bad defending habits we had at the start of the season and we got lucky to walk away with 2 points here.

 

Top line were brilliant, Miller is much better as a natural center and when Petey comes back he should slot in on the wing. Boeser didn't do much but Hoglander and Miller were buzzing at times. 

 

Pearson and Horvat were working hard again tonight, nice smart goal by Pearson (sounded like he called for the puck) which is well over-due but Virtanen just doesn't fit there. I've said it before and I'll say it again - give the chance to Gaudette. Gaudette had 2 A-grade scoring chances playing with plugs for linemates and is snakebitten at the moment, but at least he's generating those chances. The only thing that stuck out for me for Virtanen was where he tried to dangle a guy at the offensive blueline, gives it up and it leads to an odd-man rush the other way against Benn and a good scoring opportunity against. This characterized our first 10-20 games stupid defensive awareness and it looks like it's still there. Miller did this a lot in his first few games and he's knocked it out of his system but we can't get back to these high-risk low-reward plays at our offensive blueline. Swap Virtanen and Gaudette, simple.

 

3rd line was brilliant tonight, Sutter and Hawryluk are some hard working players and they combined for a gritty goal, so it's nice to see them get rewarded. 4th line were invisible/average. 

 

On defence we were absolutely garbage from top to bottom. I rarely pick out Edler because he's usually so solid but he looked slow tonight against a fast young team, giving pucks away and caught flat footed a lot of the time. Schmidt and Myers had the best games on defence but as a collective unit we were just terrible, too many bad clearances, brutal giveaways and zone marking where a man just slipped through 2-3 guys to get a good shot on net. Most frustrating is that just about all of our players were getting beaten when taken wide with speed, I think it happened about 3 times, and that lead to a Sens player right in on net. As a defence that just can't happen. I get players take Hughes on a lot because he's small and can't fight them off, but these are the rest of our D and they're just getting beaten too easily.

 

As for Demko, nothing to be said - without him, this is a 6-2 game easily. Holtby probably makes it 8-2. The Sens had 40+ shots and IMO 10 A-grade scoring opportunities, lots of posts but a lot of massive chances that Demko had no right saving but his positioning was perfect. The thing with Demko is he's great at recovering, rarely gives up rebounds, pucks stick to him but whenever he does he usually moves right back into position and swallows the 2nd chance. The two goals were quick passes and shots, unlucky to not be able to save them, we really should have cleared the 1st goal after it hit the post but our defence were caught flat footed and puck-watching all night long so no surprise. 

 

On the whole, rubbish game by the whole team but individual performances (Miller and Demko mainly) drag us across the line in a lucky game. We need points desperately and can't afford to lose the next Ottawa game so have to come out much stronger and not just assume that it's a guaranteed 2 points.

We really do not watch the same game.

 

Miller was terrible tonight. How many times did he pass to the opposing team? He got interfered with as he was trying to get into the O zone and stops playing to give it to the ref and then floats back to the bench for a line change. He has been good but today he was not. There is a reason he ended up on the 4th line at the end of the game.

 

Your hate for JV is showing. Beagle is injured so who is going to play shutdown role? Horvat, Pearson and JV. Considering they did a great job shutting down MC and Drai last game and pushing the pace in portions of this game, they are doing well as a line. JV also had a nice attempt that the goalie got a shoulder on.

 

Gaudette has a lot of flash but his shots hit goalies in the logo. What he also likes to do is get the puck in the open then proceed to skate into an opposing player and shoot the puck and kill the chance. He is all flash but at this moment is AHL material.

 

Demko is doing great.

 

Ottawa are starting to look like the team some of us expected them to be at the start. A gutsy young team that is learning to gel and have fun. The score does not seem to matter as they are playing hard till the end. I am loving their drive and it has been shocking some teams.

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely disgusting game by the Canucks, they should really feel ashamed for that performance. I know Ottawa just beat Toronto and are on a bit of a high, but the Sens hit the post about 4 times and deserved 6 goals against any other average NHL goalie. We were coughing up pucks right in the slot, not defending slot shots, getting beaten wide all night long and it wasn't just one or two guys, it was our whole lineup. One of the sloppiest games of the season, back to the bad defending habits we had at the start of the season and we got lucky to walk away with 2 points here.

 

Top line were brilliant, Miller is much better as a natural center and when Petey comes back he should slot in on the wing. Boeser didn't do much but Hoglander and Miller were buzzing at times. 

 

Pearson and Horvat were working hard again tonight, nice smart goal by Pearson (sounded like he called for the puck) which is well over-due but Virtanen just doesn't fit there. I've said it before and I'll say it again - give the chance to Gaudette. Gaudette had 2 A-grade scoring chances playing with plugs for linemates and is snakebitten at the moment, but at least he's generating those chances. The only thing that stuck out for me for Virtanen was where he tried to dangle a guy at the offensive blueline, gives it up and it leads to an odd-man rush the other way against Benn and a good scoring opportunity against. This characterized our first 10-20 games stupid defensive awareness and it looks like it's still there. Miller did this a lot in his first few games and he's knocked it out of his system but we can't get back to these high-risk low-reward plays at our offensive blueline. Swap Virtanen and Gaudette, simple.

 

3rd line was brilliant tonight, Sutter and Hawryluk are some hard working players and they combined for a gritty goal, so it's nice to see them get rewarded. 4th line were invisible/average. 

 

On defence we were absolutely garbage from top to bottom. I rarely pick out Edler because he's usually so solid but he looked slow tonight against a fast young team, giving pucks away and caught flat footed a lot of the time. Schmidt and Myers had the best games on defence but as a collective unit we were just terrible, too many bad clearances, brutal giveaways and zone marking where a man just slipped through 2-3 guys to get a good shot on net. Most frustrating is that just about all of our players were getting beaten when taken wide with speed, I think it happened about 3 times, and that lead to a Sens player right in on net. As a defence that just can't happen. I get players take Hughes on a lot because he's small and can't fight them off, but these are the rest of our D and they're just getting beaten too easily.

 

As for Demko, nothing to be said - without him, this is a 6-2 game easily. Holtby probably makes it 8-2. The Sens had 40+ shots and IMO 10 A-grade scoring opportunities, lots of posts but a lot of massive chances that Demko had no right saving but his positioning was perfect. The thing with Demko is he's great at recovering, rarely gives up rebounds, pucks stick to him but whenever he does he usually moves right back into position and swallows the 2nd chance. The two goals were quick passes and shots, unlucky to not be able to save them, we really should have cleared the 1st goal after it hit the post but our defence were caught flat footed and puck-watching all night long so no surprise. 

 

On the whole, rubbish game by the whole team but individual performances (Miller and Demko mainly) drag us across the line in a lucky game. We need points desperately and can't afford to lose the next Ottawa game so have to come out much stronger and not just assume that it's a guaranteed 2 points.

I read again what you said here and for the third period that is where Miller and Gaudette were. Though sometimes Gaudette was with Hawyrlk and Mac in sheltered minutes. I thought that was funny.

Then you said Sutter played great but when Miller was demoted Horvat started playing with Hogs and Boeser and JV and Pearson started playing with Sutter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

It would be smart to lock him up to that...

 

Or if he goes UFA in 2 years he'll be looking at Bobrovski type deal...

Bob and Price got their deals because they both won multiple Vezina's and for Price a Hart...Demko would have to win at least a couple to get close to that type  - because they also had a larger sample size then just the hardware.   Personally i'd be shocked if he's getting 5 million a season ... before the season started i figured he'd be getting around the same deal Markstrom had before him, slightly higher for inflation to where the flat cap is - 4 x 3 maybe.   It's a very fickle position and GMs know this - look what happened to Schneider.   Injuries to goalies also affects them more - so longer term deals pose a risk.   He'd have to do something amazing to get much more then that - right into the playoffs. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Slegr said:

It's so hard to gain ground in this division. It's great to see Canucks winning some games now, but that early funk went on for too long. I think it'll be too big of a hole to climb out of, but if they keep finding ways to win, it could be close.

We'll see. As long as they keep playing solid hockey, anything can happen. Other teams could easily get into their own funk as the season progresses. That's why you don't quit until the fat lady starts belting it out! 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

there are only 2 goalies ever getting a contract that suggests demko would be getting anything north of 5 million, lunqvidst and bobrovsky, they also both played at least 2 seasons as the starter before the contract too. matt murray had 81 games of starter experience and only got 3.75million, vasilevskiy had 50 games, 3.5 million. no goalie has ever got a 6 year deal with the amount of games played similar to demko's, in fact the longest has been 3 years. i would expect demko to sign a 2-3 year deal worth between 3.5-4 million, but that's only if he finishes the season with a +.920 save percentage

Yep.   I expected he'd get Markstrom last deal ... it's possible they might want to buy Demko's UFA years given we drafted him and have to take some risks with our core players - it's the only way he'd get to 5 million...and it would come with risk for sure, but the upside might be worth it.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheFly said:

That's way too much for Pettersson.

petterson comparables is eichels,aho,and to a lesser extent barzal and point. like it or not petterson will get paid similar to these players. what these numbers are saying is that petterson is more similar to eichels and aho, then barzal and point. I believe quinn hughes is padding Petterson's  points but not to the extent of point playing with stamkos, hedman and kucherov. ayways ep 40 will probably get a contract between 3-5 years. ad the range of the 3 year will be 7-8 million and the 5 year will be 8-9 million

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   I expected he'd get Markstrom last deal ... it's possible they might want to buy Demko's UFA years given we drafted him and have to take some risks with our core players - it's the only way he'd get to 5 million...and it would come with risk for sure, but the upside might be worth it.   

i would love to see a 5 or 6 year at 5 million, but i dont see demko wanting to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

What about giving Green the rest of the season with qualified assistants instead of the two idiots he currently has?  Given neither Baumer or Brown are fit to coach an ECHL team, it makes sense to see how Green manages when he has actual coaches working under him.

Green could have done that long ago as they report to him 

 

at this point it tells me they are not going to extend Green so any new replacement assistants will not be there for long as a new coach will bring in his own assistants 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bob and Price got their deals because they both won multiple Vezina's and for Price a Hart...Demko would have to win at least a couple to get close to that type  - because they also had a larger sample size then just the hardware.   Personally i'd be shocked if he's getting 5 million a season ... before the season started i figured he'd be getting around the same deal Markstrom had before him, slightly higher for inflation to where the flat cap is - 4 x 3 maybe.   It's a very fickle position and GMs know this - look what happened to Schneider.   Injuries to goalies also affects them more - so longer term deals pose a risk.   He'd have to do something amazing to get much more then that - right into the playoffs. 

JB had a dream signed Demmer to 4*3 ....

 

Then he woke up..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...