The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers signs deal to buy Shaw

drdeath

Well. This is a potential big one.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-signs-deal-buy-shaw-1.5949825

Rogers signs deal to buy Shaw in transaction valued at $26B

Rogers to invest $2.5B in 5G networks across Western Canada over next 5 years as part of transaction
The Canadian Press · Posted: Mar 15, 2021 8:25 AM ET | Last Updated: 25 minutes ago

Rogers Communications has signed a deal to buy Shaw Communications. The transaction, which requires shareholder approval, is subject to other customary closing conditions, as well as approvals from Canadian regulators. (Michael Wilson/CBC)

The latest:

Rogers deal to purchase Shaw would create second-biggest cellular operator in Canada.
Deal, valued at $26 billion including debt, will need approval from Canadian regulators.
Shaw, currently Canada's fourth-biggest telecom, owns Freedom Mobile and Shaw Mobile in Alberta, B.C. and Ontario.
Transaction includes proposed regional headquarters in Calgary.
Unknown impact on jobs, existing customers.
Are you a Shaw or Rogers customer? What do you think about the deal? Let us know in the comments or send your thoughts to Ask@cbc.ca.

Rogers Communications has signed a deal to buy Shaw Communications in a transaction valued at $26 billion, including debt, which would create Canada's No. 2 cellular operator — but is likely to face stiff regulatory scrutiny.

Under the plan, Rogers will pay $40.50 in cash for each of Shaw's issued and outstanding class A and class B shares. Shaw's class B shares closed at $23.90 on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Friday.

As part of the transaction, the companies said Rogers will invest $2.5 billion in 5G networks over the next five years across Western Canada.

Rogers also says it will create a new $1 billion fund dedicated to connecting rural, remote and Indigenous communities across Western Canada to high-speed internet service.

By acquiring fourth-ranked Shaw, Rogers would leap past current No. 2 Telus to take on market leader BCE Inc., the publicly traded holding company for the Bell Canada group of companies.

Deal subject to shareholder approval, regulatory review
The deal, which requires shareholder approval, is subject to other customary closing conditions, as well as approvals from Canadian regulators. It is expected to close in the first half of 2022.

The deal will face review by the independent Competition Bureau of Canada, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), as well as the federal department of Innovation, Science, and Economic Development (ISED).

Canadian Innovation Minister François-Philippe Champagne said the review would focus on "affordability, competition, and innovation."

Shaw executive chair and CEO Brad Shaw and another director to be nominated by the Shaw family will be named to the Rogers board as part of the deal. (Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press)
Rogers chief executive Joe Natale told analysts in a Monday morning conference call that it's too early to speculate on whether the competitors will be required to divest any of their operations.

"But we feel confident this transaction will be approved," Natale said.

East-West split currently
There's little overlap between the Shaw and Rogers cable and internet businesses, which are in Western and Eastern Canada respectively, so Natale said he thinks most of the focus will be on their wireless businesses.

"And I won't get into sort of what is our thinking on that, for obvious reasons," Natale said.

Rogers owns a national wireless network that does business under the Rogers, Fido and Chatr brands. Shaw owns Freedom Mobile and Shaw Mobile in Alberta, B.C. and Ontario.

Executives from the two companies revealed few details regarding how they expect to achieve $1 billion of synergies, which will be mostly from cost savings.

However, they did say that savings in operating expenses will likely be more significant than savings from capital spending on equipment.

Rogers chief financial officer Tony Staffieri said that, with the regulatory approvals still at least a year away, there are too many variables to be decided to make predictions on cost cutting.

Shaw CEO confident in long-term benefits
However, the joint news conference made it clear that the leadership of the two family-controlled companies believe there will be great benefits from the combination.

"While unlocking tremendous shareholder value, combining [the] companies also creates a truly national provider with the capacity to invest greater resources expeditiously to build the wireline and wireless networks that all Canadians need for the long term," Shaw executive chair and CEO Brad Shaw said in a statement.

The combined company will create a Western regional headquarters in Calgary, where the president of Western operations and other senior executives will be based.

Rogers said it has secured committed financing to cover the cash portion of the deal, while about 60 per cent of the Shaw family shares will be exchanged for 23.6 million Rogers B-class shares.

Brad Shaw and another director to be nominated by the Shaw family — which will become one of the largest Rogers shareholders — will be named to the Rogers board.

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This appears to be for their cellular/mobile interests, not their cable TV or internet stuff. 

I agree, except the TV / Internet customers just come along as part of the package.  This deal would take an annoying (to the big 3) 4th player out of the mobile market.

I feel a little bad for Rogers though that part of the deal is to keep Brad Shaw on.

• Cheers 1

I hope they block it this time again, the purpose of that spectrum auction was so that RoBelUs couldn't get their colluding greedy little mitts on it.

Rogers just 'offering' to do the thing they were paid to do 20 years ago is a slap in the face too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

Time to open the border and let the American companies in.  Canadians being gauged.

I also want to add that I'll gladly pay more for milk to support Canadian dairy farmers.  I don't feel like protecting the cucks over at Rogers and Bell, they can go kick rocks.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I also want to add that I'll gladly pay more for milk to support Canadian dairy farmers.  I don't feel like protecting the cucks over at Rogers and Bell, they can go kick rocks.

I do for fish. Tired of Pacific salmon or cod with a 'product of China' or 'product of Vietnam' label on the package. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Remember all those ads RoBelus ran when there were rumours of Verizon entering the market?

How it's bad for Canada, unfair competition, anti-Canadanism, or whatever.  

I don't know what the CRTC does, other than make Telus and Rogers money. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Short term, looks like Telus is the only option for someone completely unwilling to give Robbers a dime.

So shot, or snake bit is what you are saying. There is Bell but they will just let go more staff to make their profit margin, so electrocution? 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know what the CRTC does, other than make Telus and Rogers money. 

Big picture. Canada is 102% the size of the total area of the US. with what 12% of it's population? 

Networks aren't cheap. I don't like gouging as much as the next guy. But considering technology changes all the time, I'm not surprised.

The CRTC is supposed to work for regular Canadians. I'd rather let European or UK companies in before the U.S. 

We've seen in mobile phones changing from analog, GSM, CDMA, TDMA, 3G, 4G, now 5G. 

TV from standard def, to Hi Def, to 4K, and God knows what it is now. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Big picture. Canada is 102% the size of the total area of the US. with what 12% of it's population? 

Networks aren't cheap. I don't like gouging as much as the next guy. But considering technology changes all the time, I'm not surprised.

The CRTC is supposed to work for regular Canadians. I'd rather let European or UK companies in before the U.S. 

We've seen in mobile phones changing from analog, GSM, CDMA, TDMA, 3G, 4G, now 5G. 

TV from standard def, to Hi Def, to 4K, and God knows what it is now. 

But to be fair, most of Canada's population is within the thin 200km strip parallel with the US border.  

RoBeLus aren't building 5G networks along the Westcoast Trail or somewhere 50km north of Whitehorse.  

If anything, they have an advantage where they can encompass the majority of Canada's population by focusing on only a dozen spots or so.... 

Golden Triangle, St. Lawrence, GVRD, Vancouver Island, Calgary, Edmonton, Red River Region, Regina, each Atlantic provinces, BC Interior, Ottawa/Gatineau.