The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers signs deal to buy Shaw

drdeath

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Short term, looks like Telus is the only option for someone completely unwilling to give Robbers a dime.

That is little consolation considering Telus is one of the most  expensive cell phone providers out there.   There is now one less competitor out here.  Shaw/Freedom Mobile  kept Telus in check.  Bad news for the consumer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, DonLever said:

That is little consolation considering Telus is one of the most  expensive cell phone providers out there.   There is now one less competitor out here.  Shaw/Freedom Mobile  kept Telus in check.  Bad news for the consumer.

It's not good, but I have literally no choice given the resellers will be on Rogers network.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Big picture. Canada is 102% the size of the total area of the US. with what 12% of it's population? 

Networks aren't cheap. I don't like gouging as much as the next guy. But considering technology changes all the time, I'm not surprised.

The CRTC is supposed to work for regular Canadians. I'd rather let European or UK companies in before the U.S. 

We've seen in mobile phones changing from analog, GSM, CDMA, TDMA, 3G, 4G, now 5G. 

TV from standard def, to Hi Def, to 4K, and God knows what it is now. 

but if geography is the issue, why do Australians pay 1/3 less than us? 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wireless-prices-cell-phone-plan-canada-1.4652550

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wireless-prices-cell-phone-plan-canada-1.4652550

We have about 25% more area, and 2 less telecoms than they do? 

I'm not totally defending them. As I said I would love to see European or UK companies in Canada. 

Yes the majority of the population is close to the border. But there are cities and towns up north that are more scattered. 

CRTC doesn't seem to do much to improve competition. 

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Remember all those ads RoBelus ran when there were rumours of Verizon entering the market?

How it's bad for Canada, unfair competition, anti-Canadanism, or whatever.  

I want American companies here in telecom, my buddy in Seattle pays half of what I am for twice the wireless package I have 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Good question Jimmy I was about to ask the same thing.

We have Telstra which is the biggest provider then Optus,Vodaphone and Virgin which are reasonably big providers then PPG,Dodo,iPrimus and Amaysim smaller providers.

I believe/Know that as others in the thread have mentioned competition is the key to cheaper services of all kinds.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I want American companies here in telecom, my buddy in Seattle pays half of what I am for twice the wireless package I have 

Depending on the exchange rate, it's sometimes cheaper to just get a US plan with North American roaming than a Canadian plan.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Good question Jimmy I was about to ask the same thing.

We have Telstra which is the biggest provider then Optus,Vodaphone and Virgin which are reasonably big providers then PPG,Dodo,iPrimus and Amaysim smaller providers.

I believe/Know that as others in the thread have mentioned competition is the key to cheaper services of all kinds.

Canadians are also known for passively paying more for things... its a habit I'd like to see broken. 

For this deal to go through it should force the biggest 3 companies to create more low cost options at internet speeds that are actually useful. Paying close to $100 per month for 300 Mbps from Telus e..g., would be laughed at in much of the world. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We have about 25% more area, and 2 less telecoms than they do? 

I'm not totally defending them. As I said I would love to see European or UK companies in Canada. 

Yes the majority of the population is close to the border. But there are cities and towns up north that are more scattered. 

CRTC doesn't seem to do much to improve competition. 

we're going to have to demand that from our gov't.... where's Jagmeet? he should be all over this pushing for cheaper options.