The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The I have Mixed Feelings about Jim Benning Chaosthread 3000

Rate this topic

Me_

3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Lol, the Benning guys are in chaos mode too I guess.  You can vividly imagine the tears streaming down their faces as they type trying to deflect the criticism.

"wah wah wah Jim is trying his hardest, wah wah wah you're not an expert, wah wah wah if Jim goes, we should relocate the team"

Just makes me laugh lololol.

I'm a Benning guy still.  I can see what he is trying to accomplish.  No tears tho.

Speaking of fantasy.

vargouille-5e.jpg

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hey Coach! 

Nothing against u but only guys calling the whaaambulance are his doubters. 

Seems like they call the whaaambulance non stop. 

No body cares that we have some bad contracts that come off the books in 2 months or 15 months... Who cares... How short sighted are people? 

He's given us countless franchise players and they all in their 20s... How about we enjoy the 10+ years we're going to have 5 freakin phenoms for? 

Instead of calling the whaaambulance over Beagle getting paid 500k more than he should? Unless your aquaman daughter who had her buggatti downgraded to a lambo, all I see is buncha glass half empty guys calling the whaaambulance. 

modern family gif lsat GIF

Or saying silly things like eeehrrrmaaageuurrddd markstrom 6x6 shoulda signed him! Demko can't even get 100% save percentage every night... 

Just watch away broadcasts. They do nothing but praise our team and youngsters and Jim... Only trolls are Canucks fans that have clinical depression over the injustice us diehards have had to go thru. 

As much as I love you and your unwavering love and optimism for the team (we could all take a page from your book), we can't just reduce the mistakes Jim has made as just 500k here and there.  The cap mismanagement has costed this team the chance to re-sign quality players, which has led them to take a step back when they didn't need to.  As it stands right now, we will be greatly impacted come this off-season as well due to these contracts.  We are in a lot more trouble than people think.  Most fans have accepted that and hope for the best.  Many that support Benning (not necessarily you) also realize this but instead of admitting that Benning is responsible, they come up with a plethora of excuses to exonerate him.  Their love for Benning is so strong, they'd rather the Canucks fail than admit that Benning should go.  It's disappointing to see but at the same time, it's pure comedy.

In any event, I'm glad you're still fully optimistic regarding the team.  Hope you're well and hope to see you back soon in the league :) 

Edited by Alain Vigneault
  • Huggy Bear 1

Every time stuff like this comes out, it gets on my nerves. Off the top of my head this is the 4th player (Toffoli, Stecher, Tanev and maybe even Markstrom) who has noted the lack of communication with the GM before free agency, and then Benning blatantly lied about this to the media. This is problematic in terms of ability to build a reputation amongst players and it's severely unprofessional.

Saying "we appreciate your time here but want to go in a different direction" isn't exactly difficult, but Benning doesn't seem interested in doing his due diligence.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

Every time stuff like this comes out, it gets on my nerves. Off the top of my head this is the 4th player (Toffoli, Stecher, Tanev and maybe even Markstrom) who has noted the lack of communication with the GM before free agency, and then Benning blatantly lied about this to the media. This is problematic in terms of ability to build a reputation amongst players and it's severely unprofessional.

Saying "we appreciate your time here but want to go in a different direction" isn't exactly difficult, but Benning doesn't seem interested in doing his due diligence.

Yep, spot on.  Not a great trend at all and it really speaks volumes of the types of people we have running our front office.

You hate to see it.

I'm glad we didn't overspend on Tanev and Markstrom.  The boys still love em in the locker room but the slap in the face reality is that it's business first.

Term on Marky and Tanev is better used on Demko and a couple of other D men. We can get 2 dmen for the price of Tanman.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yep, spot on.  Not a great trend at all and it really speaks volumes of the types of people we have running our front office.

You hate to see it.

I’m sure you hate.

15 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

As much as I love you and your unwavering love and optimism for the team (we could all take a page from your book), we can't just reduce the mistakes Jim has made as just 500k here and there.  The cap mismanagement has costed this team the chance to re-sign quality players, which has led them to take a step back when they didn't need to.  As it stands right now, we will be greatly impacted come this off-season as well due to these contracts.  We are in a lot more trouble than people think.  Most fans have accepted that and hope for the best.  Many that support Benning (not necessarily you) also realize this but instead of admitting that Benning is responsible, they come up with a plethora of excuses to exonerate him.  Their love for Benning is so strong, they'd rather the Canucks fail than admit that Benning should go.  It's disappointing to see but at the same time, it's pure comedy.

In any event, I'm glad you're still fully optimistic regarding the team.  Hope you're well and hope to see you back soon in the league :) 

Some realize their character faults.

Others double down.

Apollo is right; Clinical depression. 

People who only criticize the past are bound to never amount to anything in the future.

This team is stacked but young, mate.

Name me one team who has never gone into “overdraft” on their finances. Name me one GM who hasn’t either.

You can’t.

Before you say Gillis, the NHL created the “Luongo rule” because of Gillis’ idiotic circumventing of the rules and the Canucks are still paying $3,035,212 for it for the next two years. That’s close to Toffoli money. Gillis hasn’t worked for the Canucks since 2014.

Blame Benning for still paying for it.

You don’t ever have to post anything again really.

Edited by Me_

3 hours ago, Josepho said:

The Matthias / Richardson thing is honestly one of my biggest gripes with Benning because of how it contradicts his "strategy", and it's never brought up.

Both were fine-to-quality veteran bottom-6ers that contributed to the 2015 team that made the playoffs.

They were then both let go for nothing, even though Benning has made acquiring veteran bottom-6ers like his #2 overall priority over his tenure here.

Then in 2016, Sutter went down with an injury (shocker) and we had no center depth left. McCann was thrown to wolves when he wasn't ready and then shipped out due to rumblings of "character issues" (not to mention the horrendous trade here).

Complete bungle job lol. Apparently "age-gap" and "insulating the kids" is only selectively important.

Edited by kanucks25

3 hours ago, Josepho said:

Maybe he has a reason for it, he doesn't want them after their season was over and don't want to be stuck with them and he might consider them placeholders until his vision of his own team becomes reality.   Toffoli is the exception because his hand was tied due to the cap constraint and he was exploring a trade with OEL that didn't work out.   When you consider Tufoli's play against the Canucks and rest of the division, it's a difference like day and night.   Perhaps he is on to something.  When he saw that Hoglander was playing well in Sweden League, he calculated the risk by letting Toffoli go.  I would bet you that he would do the same in near future that he probably think won't deserve a spot, he will let them go that fast by not talking to his own players during their contract year.  He knows that every time contract year comes up, they'd play well only for them to revert back to old self by the time they signed a new contract, handcuffing the teams is also the factor in Benning's decision on which player to keep or let go.  Remember the trades that he brought them in and he realize his mistakes and traded them away quicker than other GM would let on by keeping them due to his ego that is hurting the team.  

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Maybe he has a reason for it, he doesn't want them after their season was over and don't want to be stuck with them and he might consider them placeholders until his vision of his own team becomes reality.   Toffoli is the exception because his hand was tied due to the cap constraint and he was exploring a trade with OEL that didn't work out.   When you consider Tufoli's play against the Canucks and rest of the division, it's a difference like day and night.   Perhaps he is on to something.  When he saw that Hoglander was playing well in Sweden League, he calculated the risk by letting Toffoli go.  I would bet you that he would do the same in near future that he probably think won't deserve a spot, he will let them go that fast by not talking to his own players during their contract year.  He knows that every time contract year comes up, they'd play well only for them to revert back to old self by the time they signed a new contract, handcuffing the teams is also the factor in Benning's decision on which player to keep or let go.  Remember the trades that he brought them in and he realize his mistakes and traded them away quicker than other GM would let on by keeping them due to his ego that is hurting the team.  

I'm not arguing whether or not letting the players walk was a good decision or not. I'm saying that it's severely unprofessional, lazy and bound to piss off players and agents if you're just going to abruptly stop communicating with a player, and not even say "we appreciate your time here but we're not interested in retaining your services". Building relationships and a good image for your franchise is a very important part of being a manager.

Edited by Josepho

19 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

You have no clue how much withdrawals I've had from sims lol... I've been checking the website every now and then.... constantly drooling over DC's Canucks... grew up with pretty much all those players... Couldn't have chosen a better year. Brutal that he hasn't waived Messier yet tho :lol:

Really miss u guys... I spent more time with u guys than my own friends during covid hahaha... such a fun league and everyone was awesome but you! (JK :P)... hopefully can jump back in when the NHL regular season ends and my yahoo leagues end. Right now don't have the right time to commit to a team and be active as possible

Anyways back to Jimbo - I agree it's more than just 500k... there's been some overpayments but the team was desparate for able bodies...

I give him a free pass on Loui as was expected and that was the going rate for UFA's back then. Lots of nukes from that draft. Other than that it's just a million or two on sutter rous beagle that are really over payments... 

As for the bolded... Tanev and Marky were warriors and I'm sad to see them go, but I think it's clear the right decision was made. Demmer has bloomed, Holtby is a solid 1b former vezina winner and will only have 1 year left... Hamonic 1 mill over Tanev... lets be real that's stellar. Travis has really heated up. He's playing his heart out since he knows he's on contract year.

So Toffoli leaving is probably the only sore spot? It definitely hurts, especially when he pops a hatty against us... but that's sports for you. This happens when players feel betrayed , they play with more fire, more intensity... Yes losing him was a mistake.

But these mistakes aren't much... none of them are losing franchise players... they are all complementary guys that we've let walk that you can argue the replacements, are better. I'm personally ok that they put in Hoge over Toff. Stats aren't perfect now, but the future is brighter this way.

Gotta trust Jim's process coach. Just have some faith in him, he's picked out some real diamonds for us. Not just drafting either... JT Miller trade...

• Huggy Bear 1

March 17, 2021:

Markstrom  11 - 8 - 2  2.90   .903

Demko       11 -10 -1   2.69   .920

Any media who jumped on JB over losing Markstrom in the offseason are feeling a little foolish now. 

Leivo no loss.

Tanev a loss but not affordable at what Cgy paid.

Toffoli.  Big loss. But Hogz helps. Podz coming.

Offseason not as bad as some media said now that the proof is in.

12 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm glad we didn't overspend on Tanev and Markstrom.  The boys still love em in the locker room but the slap in the face reality is that it's business first.

Term on Marky and Tanev is better used on Demko and a couple of other D men. We can get 2 dmen for the price of Tanman.

Maybe you need to look at the math...   Tanev is costing Calgary $4.5 mill a year... Schmidt is costing the Canucks $6 million per.

11 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Maybe you need to look at the math...   Tanev is costing Calgary $4.5 mill a year... Schmidt is costing the Canucks $6 million per.

Matter of time before Tanev breaks something.

On 3/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

Lol, the Benning guys are in chaos mode too I guess.  You can vividly imagine the tears streaming down their faces as they type trying to deflect the criticism.

"wah wah wah Jim is trying his hardest, wah wah wah you're not an expert, wah wah wah if Jim goes, we should relocate the team"

Just makes me laugh lololol.

a vivid imagination is definitely your 'bread and butter'.

Trevor Linden stepping down as President - Confirmed - Page 32 - Canucks  Talk - Canucks Community

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

a vivid imagination is definitely your 'bread and butter'.

Trevor Linden stepping down as President - Confirmed - Page 32 - Canucks  Talk - Canucks Community

Weren't you one of the guys that begged the mods to shut down that thread?  Kinda proves my point, doesn't it?

Hope this helps.

14 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Weren't you one of the guys that begged the mods to shut down that thread?  Kinda proves my point, doesn't it?

Hope this helps.

Fail.

Can't accuse you of letting reality get in the way of a story....

Your "point" is, once again, the product, purely, of your imagination.

Go read your thread if you need to reacquaint yourself with reality.

I never ask anything of the mods.   In fact, I was having a good time with your fantasy material.  I'd ask you to quote something to qualify your misrepresentation, but you're not very good with sources, so I won't be waiting on any substance lol.

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:51 PM, DefCon1 said:

Benning better re-sign clark or he should be the one fired. we cant keep letting good coaches and scouts leave. 

Benning should do what is best for the team regardless of your expectations.

I trust Jim Benning with the management of the Vancouver Canucks. However, I don’t trust you with a Fisher Price toy plane. And stop hitting the dog with it. 

Edited by Me_