The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 UFA's signings (Discussion)

I am of the opinion, that this years 2021 UFA's will still be signing Covid contracts

And with that in mind, good players will sign cheaper. Last year Duclair and Wennberg signed cheap in Florida, this coming year, they are up again.

If Jimbo can go to the well and pull a couple of high end deals cheap, with no No trade or No movement clauses, it would be a real good move

I am not sure he has it in him, but these types of moves could open up the Canucks to more assets down the road.

Hamilton, Larson, Duclair, Wennberg, Montour, Lowry, Laughton, McGinn, Coleman are all interesting targets

Do we want them all............of course not, but if Jimbo can wheel and deal, he could move some existing pieces in the summer and load up

Is it simple ......no, is it risky? I actually don't think so, we are not moving core pieces, but we have pieces that other teams may covet.

Anyways, I think Jimbo needs to be inventive in his moves, if he is the guy? I don't know, but I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion.

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning on free agency last August.  If he plans for the team to be competitive in 2 years would expect prospects to get the opportunity.

I like this, maybe the days of signing guys like Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle to big contracts are over. Looking forward to seeing Lind, Focht, Podkolzin, Rathbone and Woo in the coming year or two.

But, does this also mean that Sutter, Pearson and Edler won't be re-signed?

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like this, maybe the days of signing guys like Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle to big contracts are over. Looking forward to seeing Lind, Focht, Podkolzin, Rathbone and Woo in the coming year or two.

But, does this also mean that Sutter, Pearson and Edler won't be re-signed?

Of the three I see Pearson being the guy we're most likely to see walk. You can fit more wingers into a roster and they're easier to come by. Maybe we'll let a combination of Virtanen, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, and Gaudette battle if out for the two top six slots alongside Bo, Petey, Brock, and JT?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter was retained at a smaller cap hit on a short term deal, I was poking around capfriendly last week to get an idea of what 3/4c players might hit ufa and the crop of defensive centers really doesn't look like it'll be very big. A number of Nucks fans seem to like the idea going for Lowry and I can see why, but as a ufa 3c he'd eat up most of the cap Sutter currently takes up as a 3c. And he may very well just stay in Winnipeg. Sutter's a known quantity who eats tough minutes for this team, could very easily see him back.

I'd like to see Edler back, partially for sentimental reasons as I'm quite vocal about my wanting to see him hit 1000 games as a Canuck, but it'd have to be at a significant pay cut. He still eats important minutes for this club, and is very capable of playing well as demonstrated by our game against Edmonton. As of right now we've got Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, and Juolevi signed through next season. There's a very really chance Tryamkin comes over, and I'd like to retain Hamonic on the right side. Throw Edler in there and it looks a bit crowded, but you need quality depth on D if you're looking to have success. All this likely leaves Rathbone stewing in the AHL and getting call ups, but that's honestly not the end of the world given he's a first year pro this season. 

There's also the wrinkle of the expansion draft and whether we lose a Schmidt or Myers to Seattle, they're the only two players we have signed through next season who meet the eligibility requirements. Edler and Hamonic could likely be brought back post-expansion draft as it's unlikely Edler plays for another NHL squad and there's plenty of reason to believe Hamonic would like back given his history and expressions of interest in doing so. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I agree with other posters that priority will be to re-sign Petterson, Hughes and Demko.  Podkolzin should fill another spot on the wing and I assume that Lind will be given every opportunity to compete for a spot either at C or on wing.  My guess is that Rathbone will get chances to make the team but I believe that he will still be waiver exempt next year so he'll likely move up and down (subject to travel restrictions of course). 

The rest of the roster will depend on whether there are any moves before the end of this year and what happens at the expansion draft.  While I'm not high on Tryamkin, I don't think it would hurt to add him. Edler's not getting any younger and Tryamkin brings an element to the team that most teams do not have.

While those pieces alone don't necessarily feel like they make for the strongest team, it reflects the reality of the Canucks: they need the core to lead.  Many of them are still quite young but the team needs them to take on the mantle of leadership.  They have already been the key guys and Horvat is already in his second year as Captain, but each one of them needs to be relied on to not only use win games with their skill but to push and pull the team with them.  They shouldn't be signing veteran guys at this point except to compliment the core, and they really cannot afford to do so anyway.

I think it will be interesting to see if the Canucks consider running with Miller as a C in the long term, even after Petey is back.  Pettersson's not a great F/O guy yet, but he has improved.  It's hard to break up the Lotto line, but Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser isn't bad to try.  Moving Miller to 3C also gives the Canucks solid C depth and more versatility up front.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Benning on free agency last August.  If he plans for the team to be competitive in 2 years would expect prospects to get the opportunity.

Love the work JB did on the prospect front and he is right that we have players in various positions that are coming up but that's a strong statement, to say that we are for sure NOT going to be looking to free agency from here on out as implied by the word "anymore".

Should've kept Toffoli if we were not going to free agents anymore, would have rounded our top 6 for the next 4 years. Could also have been the difference between Montreal and our positions in the standings this season.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Leaves a huge hole that Schmidt is currently currently filling; and a little hole that Hamonic is filling.

Myself, I prefer the help on D.

Not disagreeing. Schmidt fills a big hole.

Would've been nice to get rid of some cap to find room for Toffoli now that we are not going to UFA.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, khay said:

Love the work JB did on the prospect front and he is right that we have players in various positions that are coming up but that's a strong statement, to say that we are for sure NOT going to be looking to free agency from here on out as implied by the word "anymore".

Should've kept Toffoli if we were not going to free agents anymore, would have rounded our top 6 for the next 4 years. Could also have been the difference between Montreal and our positions in the standings this season.

Benning said Podkolzin can be a top 6 forward right away.  So he would be the one rounding out our top 6, not Toffoli.  The kids are going to fill out most of our roster next year.  That was the whole point of drafting all these kids.  The veterans were initially signed to fill the holes because some of the kids, as Benning mentioned, take 3-5 years to make it to the NHL.  Lind and Gadjovich are two examples.  At least one of them will be on the roster next year.  Add Podkolzin, Rathbone and Tryamkin and that should fill most of our holes.  I still think we need a 3C but maybe Lind will fill that position, or we move Miller to centre permanently and have 3 well rounded lines.

• Upvote 4

Well I think Vancouver have 23.5  million in cap for next season...

Petey - 2 yrs X 7.6 million --then he will sign the big contract

Hughes - 2 yrs X 7.6 Million

Demko - 4 yrs  X  1st 4.5  - 2nd -5 million  -3rd yr 5 million  4th year - 5.5 million

Almost all cap space used up 19.7 million?

Podkolzin -  3 X 950,000 -----19 - 6'2, 210 - power forward entry level deal

Gaudette  1X 1 million

Juolevi -  2 X 900,000

Tryamkin  - 2 X 1.5 million

Edler -  1 X 1.5 million  -  home town deal like Char did for years

Hamonic - ?  would be nice to sign him but no cap room - plays well with Hughes very defensive style..

Pearson - Gone for sure, no spot for him with Podkolzin playing next season -- No cap room

Edited by wildcam

I think people are mis-understanding me a little

I am not advocating whole sale signings................

and as most say, we have Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Gaudette, Tryamkin,

and assorted other Canuck UFA's that Benning wants to sign

We are all in agreement of that...............

Further more, I am in agreement of promotion form within.....

aka, Possibly Podkolzin, Lind, Jasek, Rathbone and DiPietro

However, we are loosing Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Benn and Hamonic to UFA free agency

My point is, we should be moving these guys, with a plan of replacing them

either through promotion from with in, or by Cheap UFA signings, as as I pointed out

this is the year to do it, because there will be lots coming off of 1 year deals

So, I suggest, Benning looks at these guys, and focus's on 1 or 2

I want to point out that despite Benning's declaration, I would like to point out that no team

becomes a contender and champion without players that have been brought in

These next few years will be unlike any other years before, as players are signing cheap deals

So veterans that are under contract, but will not be around for the years we are contenders

should be considered expendable as well..............this includes the above UFA;s 

Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Benn and Hamonic

But should also at the very least include Myers and Schmidt, with even Miller being considered

IF the right deal comes around (I doubt Miller, but it does underline my point)

This all has been underlined by Benning, who has stated we are several years away from competing

Again I am not saying blow it up, I am not saying move all vets

But I am saying Benning should not leave any stoned unturned............

What I am tasking all you with, is to consider the options.......consider the return, and consider the up grades

That is all.............

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Vintage 1

If it were up to me, I would go after David Savard.  

He is criminally underrated because he plays in an obscure market for the Blue Jackets.  

He would instantly become the best dman on our team (yes Quinn will be better in a couple of years). 

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Well I think Vancouver have 23.5  million in cap for next season...

Petey - 2 yrs X 7.6 million --then he will sign the big contract

Hughes - 2 yrs X 7.6 Million

Demko - 4 yrs  X  1st 4.5  - 2nd -5 million  -3rd yr 5 million  4th year - 5.5 million

Almost all cap space used up 19.7 million?

Podkolzin -  3 X 950,000 -----19 - 6'2, 210 - power forward entry level deal

Gaudette  1X 1 million

Juolevi -  2 X 900,000

Edler -  1 X 1.5 million  -  home town deal like Char did for years

Hamonic - ?  would be nice to sign him but no cap room

Pearson - Gone for sure, no spot for him with Podkolzin playing next season -- No cap room

That looks to be the reality of our situation.  But I think you have to fit Tryamkin in there too.  Adding him to the D would fit well with Benning's plan to fill in holes with our own prospects rather than free agents, and his salary should be lower than any potential UFA D-men.  He's also got the pro-experience advantage over other possible internal D additions, like Rathbone or Woo (or even Juolevi).

I know he said he won't be looking to free agency to sign players, but we have Schmidt and Myers under contract for next season on defence - that's it.

Obviously we'll re-sign Hughes and Juolevi, but that still only gives us four solid defencemen...

Are we re-signing Edler and Hamonic then? Leave Chatfield as our 7th defenceman? Or running with Chatfield in our bottom pairing from the get-go? We still need to sign another defenceman.

Personally I think the players aren't the problem on defence so would like to re-sign Hamonic to a 2x2M deal (similar to Benn), let Benn go (or maybe even re-sign him to a 1yr x 1M contract for Seattle to pick him) and would love to bring Edler back on a cheap 2M, 1 year deal.

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Chatfield? - Schmidt

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know he said he won't be looking to free agency to sign players, but we have Schmidt and Myers under contract for next season on defence - that's it.

Obviously we'll re-sign Hughes and Juolevi, but that still only gives us four solid defencemen...

Are we re-signing Edler and Hamonic then? Leave Chatfield as our 7th defenceman? Or running with Chatfield in our bottom pairing from the get-go? We still need to sign another defenceman.

Personally I think the players aren't the problem on defence so would like to re-sign Hamonic to a 2x2M deal (similar to Benn), let Benn go (or maybe even re-sign him to a 1yr x 1M contract for Seattle to pick him) and would love to bring Edler back on a cheap 2M, 1 year deal.

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Chatfield? - Schmidt

I am on board with this kind of plan. It may not be as exciting as targeting a Hamilton or Pietrangelo, but I think re-upping Edler, Hamonic and even Benn is a smart move. Hopefully Tryamkin factors into the plan too.

I think Edler will cost between $3m-4m but as long as its for one year, this is worth it. He is a beast, plays the hard minutes and will buy some time to help Juolevi develop into that same role for us. Hamonic I would resign for up to 3 years if we can keep his cap hit around that $2m mark. He is complementary to Hughes and we don't exactly have many RHD in our system. Hamonic is only 30 years old. I assume both of these guys will be signed after the ED.

Hughes will hopefully be signed for about $6m on a 3 year bridge deal.

Benn I would only resign as a player to meet the exposure requirements of the Seattle ED (probably not selected). Even a couple of years at around that $1.1m mark means that he can be waived if necessary. But he essentially protects Schmidt and Myers from needing to be exposed, and also provides good depth and versatility as a 7-8th Dman.

Tryamkin will likely cost us $1.5-2m for a 2-3 year deal. He could the big, crunching, top 4 defensive partner for Hughes in the long term, in addition to ruling the PK for years to come. Or he may not be. But it is worth signing him to find out.

Chatfield doesn't really factor into my future plans. I am not convinced at the NHL level. Rathbone and Woo get another year to marinate in the AHL and in 1-2 years they need to be pushing Edler and Hamonic out of the lineup.

Possible D lineup for next season (looks familiar):

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

(Benn Tryamkin)

(Rathbone, Woo) - AHL

• Cheers 2