The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Demko stay healthy and properly signed

Rate this topic

Harold27k

He will go down as the greatest Canuck goalie. And I saw king Richard,and Captain Kirk,and a young Scneider and to me all 3 were better than Luongo who gave up too many soft goals during the playoff yrs

But this kid Demko is freakin cool/calm/unfazed and he is a stone cold equalizer for a team thats hardpressed to get enough shots on goal and score

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Starting this tread by saying Schnider was better than Luongo seriously? Did you watch him put up 2 shutouts in the finals against Boston? Did you? This narrative of yours is such carp. Maybe if the team scored a few more goals he would have lifted the cup and gone down in history as the greatest goalie in franchise history. But instead the media hung it around his neck and you bought it. The canucks scored 8 goals in 7 games there isn't a goalie on the planet that can work with that. 

Thank you! People forget someone named Luongo and how great he ways for years

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Starting this tread by saying Schnider was better than Luongo seriously? Did you watch him put up 2 shutouts in the finals against Boston? Did you? This narrative of yours is such carp. Maybe if the team scored a few more goals he would have lifted the cup and gone down in history as the greatest goalie in franchise history. But instead the media hung it around his neck and you bought it. The canucks scored 8 goals in 7 games there isn't a goalie on the planet that can work with that. 

To be fair Luongo was horrid in the other 4 games and the Canuck could take zero offensive chances in them games because most good chances against lead to goals for Boston. 
When you have a goalie playing well you can take chances but if is 50/50 your goalie going to be a sieve you can’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

For how good Luongo was here it’s disgusting how he’s treated/remembered by certain people in this fan base. Not one person can argue against your last point. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FijianCanuck said:

Thank you! People forget someone named Luongo and how great he ways for years

Luongo also had a much better team in front of him for 6 of the 8 years? Canucks should of won cup..

The Canucks were so good during Luongo days..

All Demko has to do is win us a cup (Stanley variety only!) and he'll be my choice for best goalie in the universe for all time in my books.  So far for me King Richard is tops still, although I can only base that on a single season in which he carried the team to the finals almost single handed (though to be fair, the team around him massively over performed their general abilities as well).  McLean is pretty solid based on his whole career in Vancouver as is Luongo.  Seriously, Luongo was a lifetime 91.9% save percentage, topping any on that list (and just above the mark Brodeur set in the 82 playoff run with a 91.8%.  McLean had a very strong 92.8% sv percentage in the 94 cup run.

Of the three, Luongo has the best overall career by a long shot (luongo shot?), but McLean's cup run was very strong as was Brodeur's (especially considering the eras they played in).  Luongo's cup run came up short posting a 91.4% - imagine where we'd be had he not let in any of those weak goals?  Brodeur gets the nod from me for being the first goalie to take us to the cup finals, then McLean for bringing us to game 7 of the cup finals and Luongo next for being second to do the same.  He sure provided us with some amazing regular seasons though.  We'll have to see what the future holds for Demko.  I hope he becomes my new favourite.

Edited by RogersTowell
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Harold27k said:

He will go down as the greatest Canuck goalie. And I saw king Richard,and Captain Kirk,and a young Scneider and to me all 3 were better than Luongo who gave up too many soft goals during the playoff yrs

But this kid Demko is freakin cool/calm/unfazed and he is a stone cold equalizer for a team thats hardpressed to get enough shots on goal and score

Yeah he seems to be a big game goalie based on his playoff performance last year and his mental game seems (alot) better than Loungo during big games, who (imo), cracked under the playoff pressure; Loungo seems to be no more than a great regular season goalie with no killer instinct to win the big games.  Ofcourse, Demko is still early in his career as an NHL #1 and we will just have to wait & see if he can lead this team to a cup win and solidify his legacy as the teams best (hopefully, he is stays healthy through most of his Canuck tenure)

McClean was amazing in the 94 playoff - will never forget his standup style and that performance.

Edited by ShawnAntoski