The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Demko stay healthy and properly signed

Rate this topic

Harold27k

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

Starting this tread by saying Schnider was better than Luongo seriously? Did you watch him put up 2 shutouts in the finals against Boston? Did you? This narrative of yours is such carp. Maybe if the team scored a few more goals he would have lifted the cup and gone down in history as the greatest goalie in franchise history. But instead the media hung it around his neck and you bought it. The canucks scored 8 goals in 7 games there isn't a goalie on the planet that can work with that. 

There is. Roberto Luongo.

He almost pulled it off, taking a severely undermanned team to game 7 against a pretty talented team in hindsight (Marchand, Bergeron, Krejici, Ryder, Dr. Rechi, Lucic, Seguin, Horton), backed by an equally hot goalie in Tim Thomas with defence anchored by one of the best interior defenders in Chara.

I think when healthy, we will still beat them as this is well before Bergeron, Marchand, and Seguin have come anywhere near their peaks but once Hamhuis went down and our #7 guy, Rome was suspended 4 games (translates to 28 regular season games), our defence had too big a hole. Bruins were well coached and knew which side to exploit and I give them credit for playing effective physical hockey to wear our defence down.

Anyways, Luongo almost pulled it off but that team just gave all it had just to take it to game 7.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah he seems to be a big game goalie based on his playoff performance last year and his mental game seems (alot) better than Loungo during big games, who (imo), cracked under the playoff pressure; Loungo seems to be no more than a great regular season goalie with no killer instinct to win the big games.  Ofcourse, Demko is still early in his career as an NHL #1 and we will just have to wait & see if he can lead this team to a cup win and solidify his legacy as the teams best (hopefully, he is stays healthy through most of his Canuck tenure)

McClean was amazing in the 94 playoff - will never forget his standup style and that performance.

Couldn't agree more.  Luongo got the yips in the games in Boston Garden, as well as in game 7 at home, and it was pretty clear that his lack of confidence percolated through the rest of the team in those games.  But give him the regular season, and any of the less intimidating playoff games, and Luongo was the king.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Couldn't agree more.  Luongo got the yips in the games in Boston Garden, as well as in game 7 at home, and it was pretty clear that his lack of confidence percolated through the rest of the team in those games.  But give him the regular season, and any of the less intimidating playoff games, and Luongo was the king.

Well said.

Demko looks amazing lately - one of the better runs of goaltending during the regular season we've had really, since Luongo.   On Luongo, he's for sure the best goalie we've ever had, and it's not even really close.   When he came in from Florida was already a top three goalie, routinely making ridiculous saves., and keeping a terrible FLD team from being a basement dweller.    Proved that right away taking a pretty so-so Canucks team at the time to the playoffs and battling it out with Turco, arguably the best goaltending display of any Canucks goalie in one series all-time. 

Demko, hasn't won a playoff series for us yet - Luongo was one of the Conn Smythe favourites leading into the final.   Then posted a SO and an OT win....had one complete disaster of a game ... then back to enough to win if we had goal support, and then 1-0 SO in game 5. and the wheels fell off..tough to saddle this on Luongo, nobody but Vancouver managed to get to a game seven scoring 8 goals in the history of the game.    One blowout in a run to game seven of the final and a couple bad games.    Agree McLean was better in 94 though - not so sure one could say the same of Broudeur - but he's the reason we got to the final ... Luongo had help up until then.. for sure all three of these guys were heads and shoulders ahead of Cloutier - and 1-3 all-time for us. 

On Demko.   Small sample size looks very promising.   Bubble Demko is a beaut for sure...Boucher owns the record for so streak... Elliot looked legit at one point but instead became a capable career back-up...that kid in OTT a few years ago won his first 22 games or something then dissappeared.   I'm cautiously optimistic but the sample size is minuscule at this point ... if he drags us to the playoffs ... that would be something, and an accomplishment we haven't seen since suitcase was around in the mid 70's and garnered Hart votes for his efforts. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

ya definitely nothing to do with all our players injured suspended, and them fired up for the late hit to horton and their crowd being intimidating in their arena while ours were a joke in comparison. it's all luongo's fault coz he lack confidence and because he lack confidence the whole team lacked confidence coz they all rely on him for confidence. the 3 wins they got. nah the team played great even though we only scored 5 goal winning 2 1-0 and 1 3-2 in ot.. it was all the defense and the offensive star showing up despite we were outshot in all 3 games we won. and then when we lose it was never about offense not showing up or the defense giving up all the odd man rush it was all about luongo not giving the team confidence? lol

As far as properly signed I see three scenarios.   

A one year deal in the 3.5 range.   He'd still be an RFA and this would give him a chance to bump his salary and give the team easy wiggle room for when LE and Luongo are up.

A deal just like Markstrom's last one - plus a little for inflation but not much 4 x 3 maybe.

A five year deal that buys a couple UFA years.   In this case see the deal around 4.5-5 x 5.   

Of these i like the first and last one the best.   First one because it wouldn't require any major roster issues ... second one is risky for our future.   Demko could become a Vezina winner and that would make it tough later cap wise.   The last one comes with the most risk for the team - goaltending is very fickle and that's a long term deal for a starter with under a 100 games...but also has the most upside for us too cap wise. 

59 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As far as properly signed I see three scenarios.   

A one year deal in the 3.5 range.   He'd still be an RFA and this would give him a chance to bump his salary and give the team easy wiggle room for when LE and Luongo are up.

A deal just like Markstrom's last one - plus a little for inflation but not much 4 x 3 maybe.

A five year deal that buys a couple UFA years.   In this case see the deal around 4.5-5 x 5.   

Of these i like the first and last one the best.   First one because it wouldn't require any major roster issues ... second one is risky for our future.   Demko could become a Vezina winner and that would make it tough later cap wise.   The last one comes with the most risk for the team - goaltending is very fickle and that's a long term deal for a starter with under a 100 games...but also has the most upside for us too cap wise. 

5 years would also give DiPietro time to develop, im guessing beings plan was for holtby to be picked by seattle. then MDP would have 3 years on a ELC and really allow us to compete for years 2 and 3. after year 4 of the demko contract if DiPietro is ready to take the reigns we will need to consider trading Demko for a pick and a prospect if we don't have anyone to succeed DiPietro.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Still very early but he's the best young goalie we've had since...Schneider...Lack...look how they turned out. 

Markstrom was 24 years old when Benning was hired as GM. Went from disappointing prospect to 4th in Vezina voting during Benning’s time as GM.

I think what's so intriguing about Demko is that he's done this at every level he's played. This is ultimately why we ended up keeping Demmer over Marky.

He is an extremely talented goaltender, and we've managed to develop him perfectly.

Sure, you can always say "but, he's only played ___ amount of games, and he hasn't done ___!" 
There has been a very clear and recognizable arc to his career so far.

Nothing is guaranteed, especially at the goaltending position. But when you've developed a goalie for 5+ years, and he's met and/or exceeded expectations at every step, its really all you can ask for.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Would $5 million for 5 years be acceptable? 

One less thing to worry about.

Would be a tough decision for sure - putting him a range of much more experience goalies when they got their deals.   It would be tough not to go there if he plays like the rest of the year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Would $5 million for 5 years be acceptable? 

One less thing to worry about.

it's uncharted territory for sure, there hasn't been a rfa goalie signed past 3 years with as many games played as demko. the closest is Frederick Andersen who played 153 games who signed a 5x5 or jake allen who played 111 games and signed a 4x4.3

goalies really have to prove themselves, it seems.

This is why when the going is tough (ie. earlier this season), I'm not generally all that worried. People are quick to react; yet, he's only 25 in a position where it's not even uncommon to see goalies come true to form after 30.

On a semi-related note, this is also why I'm not worried about Gaudette at this point. Just need to give players time. Let them go through their periods where they don't thrive as well. If they continue to do so after a couple of years then sure, start worrying then, but not when it's not even a year since they were playing well.

I firmly believe that, if we didn't give these players enough leeway, we'd never see them at their full potential.

Edited by The Lock

Y'know what I think?  I think his damn development curve is one year too early.  If he was mediocre this year and turned into this goalie NEXT year... that would have been way better.  We could have locked him in at a very low cap hit for 2 or 3 years... but no, Canuck luck has it that now we have to worry about re-signing Demko, Hughes, and Petey....

Edited by HKSR

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Y'know what I think?  I think his damn development curve is one year too early.  If he was mediocre this year and turned into this goalie NEXT year... that would have been way better.  We could have locked him in at a very low cap hit for 2 or 3 years... but no, Canuck luck has it that now we have to worry about re-signing Demko, Hughes, and Petey....

plenty of games left to crap the bed

• Haha 1

Around this time last year Demko was filling in as starter when Marky got hurt and he was playing horribly. Had the season not stopped we were on our way out of a playoff spot. 

Take a step back and chill. Goalies, especially young goalies, have their ups and downs. Many goalies will follow up great years with not so great ones.

Ima wait till he has more experience as a starter till I have these sort of judgements.